Tops Spin Better In A Vacuum Chamber

Remove air resistance and top spins longer, using what looks like a vacuum pump for a cars A/C system. Don't they vacuum mechanical hard drives for this reason?

A good video to show "moon landing truthers" who don't understand why "if they were REALLY on the moon, how come the flag bounces around so much??"

Don't they vacuum mechanical hard drives for this reason?

Quite the opposite: some form of gas is needed for proper HDD operation. The R/W heads rely on a ground effect to float above the surface of the spinning platters.

That's some crappy top if it only spins for 84S in vacuum.

Looks like it's either a kid's toy or a 3d print. Either way, it's not going to be particularly well-balanced or have a clean tip.

That's some crappy top if it only spins for 84S in vacuum.

I think that's the point. They made it crappy and put paddles on it to increase air resistance and decrease spin time so the vacuum demo wouldn't take forever.

So they demonstrate that air has resistance. Big deal. Open a car window sometime.

Wow, they just proved that air provides friction. Next video, putting your head outside a window of a car driving at 100 mph causes your hair to move!!

Remove air resistance and top spins longer, using what looks like a vacuum pump for a cars A/C system. Don't they vacuum mechanical hard drives for this reason?

Quite the opposite: some form of gas is needed for proper HDD operation. The R/W heads rely on a ground effect to float above the surface of the spinning platters.

Haz_mat is quite correct. It was implied but I want to make it explicit, that gas is not necessarily 'air' (78% N/21% O). Some of the newer high-platter-count drives are helium filled and hermetically sealed.

I think that's the point. They made it crappy and put paddles on it to increase air resistance and decrease spin time so the vacuum demo wouldn't take forever.

Exactly this, because even though it's called a vacuum chamber it's hardly devoid of air, looking at that setup, wouldn't surprise me if it was only 1/10000th that of air, which would still be on the order of 10^15 particles per cc.

You get better erections also in vacuum.

lead_large.png

So... Air exists?
So they demonstrate that air has resistance. Big deal. Open a car window sometime.

Holy crap people, can you take your disgruntled old man hats off for a second and just enjoy a little bit of science? It's okay if you allow physics to be a little bit of magic every now and then.

Back