Boeing Patents Star Wars-Style Force Fields

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't think I am the only person that wants to see this thing in action. :cool:

A new patent granted to aircraft, defense and security company Boeing is taking its cues from science fiction. Just like the glowing energy shields seen protecting troops, machines and even spacecraft in Star Wars and Star Trek, the design -- named "Method and system for shockwave attenuation via electromagnetic arc" -- uses energy to deflect potential damage.

I can't wait to see what kind of cool shit we have in 30 years.

This idea of shockwaves attenuated by electromagnetic arc....seems oddly very plausible to me.

So: let's get Elon on this, ASAP. He'll figure it out.

This is ridiculous, shouldn't patent have any basis in actual reality?

This is ridiculous, shouldn't patent have any basis in actual reality?

Ah ok totally misread the scenario. This is not a solution to block energy beams or material "bullets", its a means to reduce/eliminate the shockwave from a nearby explosion by creating a counter shockwave to absorb it (by creating pockets of of expanding hot air using electrical arcs).

Ok that is a bit more plausible

Ah ok totally misread the scenario. This is not a solution to block energy beams or material "bullets", its a means to reduce/eliminate the shockwave from a nearby explosion by creating a counter shockwave to absorb it (by creating pockets of of expanding hot air using electrical arcs).

Ok that is a bit more plausible

I wonder what would happen to someone caught in between.

Not news tbh. Too many (the majority) of patents are just ideas with drawings that somehow become accepted as new inventions.

Yeah the patent office is a joke imo. it relies on the court system to make up for their mistakes which makes the "legal bullying" favor big corporations.

Last time I heard about force fields and deflector shields, we created a wormhole, made the USS Eldridge disappear, and caused a bunch of navy personnel to get embedded in the bulkhead of the ship

Ok ... I demand proof of concept right fucking now, none of this BS. First to File bullshit.

I bet what they have now can't even deflect gnats. Try harder, Boeing.

For this to work it has to be able to oppose the incoming energy enough to almost stop the object in an extremely short space of time.
It has to do be able to target the force directly at the incoming projectile, theres little point in the energy being spread all round unless you have ridiculous reserves.

Thats a LOT of energy deployed very fast with very early detection and precise targeting.
It would need to stop targets a lot more than once in quick succession, very likely it will have to stop simultaneous objects otherwise it would be simple to hit. A tall order without good physical shielding.
Even if this is feasible, a Landrover sized vehicle wouldnt have the space to store the energy needed, nor the physical shielding required to protect it. Not if it wants to remain useful as a vehicle.

I dont think its possible anyway and if it were, it would harm anyone near it.
Intense electrical fields can generate lightning and static.
Intense magnetic fields induce intense current flow in anything that can even mildly conduct. Humans would be toast :p
It would need to be automated from a distance, or kit your soldiers out with faraday cages and heat shields.
Whatever houses it would need to be in a faraday cage.

This might suck for stuff on the ground but imagine space. If they were able to generate enough power up there and keep shit from running into the space station or ship (Enterprise) :p it would very much prove its worth.

Ok ... I demand proof of concept right fucking now, none of this BS. First to File bullshit.

There is a small scale system they have somewhere...but that doesn't mean we'll see it in action before the next decade. The research group I used to work for helped develop the power delivery system.

Not news tbh. Too many (the majority) of patents are just ideas with drawings that somehow become accepted as new inventions.

Which is funny, because one of the the reasons for the patent system is that a skilled person with reasonable knowledge should be able to assemble the invention (hence, in theory, a prototype should exist). Yet, the majority of these "granted" patents are so far out there, they may not actually work or have prototypes.

I don't think this can work.

A typical shockwave travels at 1500 m/s. If a IED explodes two meters away from a vehicle, the vehicle will be hit in about 1 millisecond. The system would have to generate this plasma, aim, and shoot it in less than that time.

they'll just buy Boeing and get the patents.

Maybe someone would front Apple the loan, but Apple can't outright buy Boeing. Even though on Paper Apple is richer, it's only if you forget that apple owes on loans now, and Boeing is free and clear and has a fat piggy bank.

A typical shockwave travels at 1500 m/s. If a IED explodes two meters away from a vehicle, the vehicle will be hit in about 1 millisecond. The system would have to generate this plasma, aim, and shoot it in less than that time.

LOL, imagine if the IED detonated underneath and the system reacted correctly :p

A whole new meaning to "catching some air".

This might suck for stuff on the ground but imagine space. If they were able to generate enough power up there and keep shit from running into the space station or ship (Enterprise) :p it would very much prove its worth.

Navigational deflector.
deflector_main1.jpg

The energy is pre-generated and ready for immediate discharge. The only lag would come from the sensor and targeting suite...and I think something that reacts in a short enough time can be developed.

This could be a great thing. While it won't stop incoming particles, it will reduce the shockwaves. Yeah if you're right next to the blast it would be hard, but for the guys 100 feet out this could attenuate enough of that shockwave to keep it from being fatal. Also, imagine strapping this system onto a carrier - something goes boom nearby, this could mitigate the amount of damage from the shockwaves.

Remember folks - most people killed in battle aren't killed by the bullet with their name on it; it's the ones addressed "to whom it may concern" that get them. Indirect fire is responsible for up to 80% of casualties. That's why arty is called the King of Battle.

Back