Nintendo’s Stock Price Jumps Another 28%

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Wall Street has turned a kind eye toward Nintendo this week, with the stock seeing an initial rise of 28% on the news that Nintendo has partnered with Japanese firm DeNA to make mobile games.

Nintendo has turned a corner and embraced a huge strategic shift, opening up its game-IP for smart devices. We have long argued that it needs to change.

Good for them, hope they continue to do well. Would love to see a Nintendo of old.

DeNA is the possibly the biggest reason all mobile games turn into pay-to-play. They come out with games that are generally pretty good but then you hit a wall, where if you want to advance in any meaningful amount of time you have to hunker down some cash.

Not excited about this at all.

this is for new games based on the mobile platform we are not going to be playing our old Nintendo games on mobile devices legally

this is for new games based on the mobile platform we are not going to be playing our old Nintendo games on mobile devices legally

I would hope so, and hope it doesn't hurt Nintendo's console games. Even if they may be simplistic, they certainly are polished and well done.

I'm expecting them to be like Square and ask for $20.00 for a title I've bought 3 times already over the past 20 years.

I'm expecting them to be like Square and ask for $20.00 for a title I've bought 3 times already over the past 20 years.

Based on the BS they are trying to pull on YouTube, this wouldn't surprise me. Everyone always hates on Sony, but Nintendo is a real piece of crap when it comes to a lot of things.

Hmm, very interesting. Can't wait to see how this plays out! The last nintendo I owned was a nintendo gameboy color. :D

I'm expecting "Temple Run" and "Angry Bird" licensed type games... I highly doubt they're going to give us what we really want.

If the Nintendo EShop has taught me anything, it is that Nintendo has no shame trying to sell decades old games for $9.99+

Based on the BS they are trying to pull on YouTube, this wouldn't surprise me. Everyone always hates on Sony, but Nintendo is a real piece of crap when it comes to a lot of things.

As is every greedy company who is completely out of ideas with an over-saturated market.

Its much better this way. Nintendo still has most of the best console games out there, and part of it is their insistence on their custom physical interfaces.

Eschewing all that for a pane of glass does not work. Those games need to be made for the ground up or be appropriate for the platform, like the actual good touch games on iPad (Hearthstone, FTL, Papers Please, Framed, etc)

Oh my I do hope the mobile gaming craze dies down, and dies fast. I have no interest in crappy awkward games.

The only time I see myself playing a mobile game is when I have no access to a proper computer and have to wait for an extended peroid of time. But I haven't found a game so far that was actually enjoyable on a touchscreen, rather than annoying.

In my opinion every developer who turns to mobile games and abandons real gaming platforms, should be ashamed of themselves. It's like a pro footballer going back to the little league because it's easier to win there.

Back