Sony Unveils Pricing, Availability Of Online TV Service

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not sure how many people will be interested in less channels for more money (internet and console also required) but Sony seems to think this is a good idea. Any takers?

Sony Corp. said its PlayStation Vue streaming television service is available starting today for consumers in New York, Chicago and Philadelphia at prices ranging from $49.99 to $69.99. The company’s long-awaited online version of pay TV, featuring more than 85 live channels, doesn’t significantly undercut prices currently offered by traditional cable and satellite TV providers.

I'm sure some people would buy into it but with all of the different services out there it's going to be a mess until one or two come out on top and are competitively priced compared to cable. Right now there are too many services and none are offering everything so consumers need to purchase more than one service and switch between them, If you only need what one service offers that's great but chances are even then there will be limitations (too many ads, no dvr option, limited on-demand).

Sony is just delusional unless they're planning on offering a service much better than cable/satellite.

People who cut cable TV service are generally saving between $100 (basic cable) and $200 per month (heavy premium users).

With that amount of money freed up, why exactly wouldn't it make sense to then buy one or two channels that you do enjoy. Such as HBO, and still be saving a ton of money.

There's a lot of crapping on these sorts of things. . . but overall, for those about to take the leap into cable-free living, buying a few networks you actually want (yes, even at those prices) makes a lot more sense than paying for 200 channels you never watch.

People who cut cable TV service are generally saving between $100 (basic cable) and $200 per month (heavy premium users).

With that amount of money freed up, why exactly wouldn't it make sense to then buy one or two channels that you do enjoy. Such as HBO, and still be saving a ton of money.

There's a lot of crapping on these sorts of things. . . but overall, for those about to take the leap into cable-free living, buying a few networks you actually want (yes, even at those prices) makes a lot more sense than paying for 200 channels you never watch.
Having said that. The Sony price does indeed seem a tad high.

It depends on the channels. As it is my television bill is around $135 through comcast to get hte channels I want, and most of the channels I get for that plan I don't watch. If I can carve a little off of my bill, get the channels I want and remove the unwanted crap then I would do it. But the more I expect them to have all of my channels.

Eh it depends on what people watch, they won't get any hardcore ESPN users.

I'd subscribe if I didn't utilize other methods to acquire the content I watch.

I spend about 20 bucks a month for everything available on TV other than national news and Sports.

And to add, without ABC and sports they won't get large numbers. It is a MUCH better method of doing Cable TV type service over what Microsofts method is however.

If they eventually get that other network and sports and price it around where it's at now it would do well otherwise it'll be limping along for awhile.

They need to get NFL sunday ticket.. Sony though sucks at security. They could offer a free year of lifelock

Would be interested if they had some good sports/entertainment/science offerings. Seems the only way to get those is to get a shitty stream or pay $100+ on cable, with poor customer service. Why I switched from Xfinity to CenturyLink DSL--I lose cable, some special online streaming stuff, and about 60Mbps, but customer service is much better and I pay $30 less/month...$60 after promotional discount.

If Sony charged $40 for their service, and had good channels, I'd definitely buy.

I dont know how I could really pay anymore for cable TV. The only channels I am missing are starz and encore type. Right now I am only paying $65 a month for cable thats the 3 receivers included and every sports channel comcast offers. These cord cutting services cant even provide me with half the service for the same price. I also have 3 slingboxes one on every receiver so I can watch ANYTHING on tv on the go at anytime. I never miss a Rockets or Texans game anymore.

Would be interested if they had some good sports/entertainment/science offerings. Seems the only way to get those is to get a shitty stream or pay $100+ on cable, with poor customer service. Why I switched from Xfinity to CenturyLink DSL--I lose cable, some special online streaming stuff, and about 60Mbps, but customer service is much better and I pay $30 less/month...$60 after promotional discount.

If Sony charged $40 for their service, and had good channels, I'd definitely buy.

They claim to carry RSNs...which would be worth it to me...if it was available in my area...this service is only rolling out to three major cities initially...Chicago, Philly...and somewhere else, cant remember.

I rarely watch TV. A couple of shows a week, at best so I would rather pay for ONLY the channels I want.

Sony's pricing is ridiculous and their audience will be severely limited unless they come out with an hdmi dongle thingy. Apple has the money to lose, Sony does not. I can't stand either but hopefully this is good for competition and eventually the consumer.

They could've made it available on the PS TV, and had new people in for the service for $79. Instead they require the PS3, or PS4.

Also, it's too expensive. Most everyone gets internet through their cable provider, where they already get TV. So.. why? Cancel my TV through my cable provider, so I can use my cable provider for internet to pay the 'same' for TV.

If Comcast didn't jack up internet rates in my area if you don't get their tv service this may be worth it. But my Comcast internet is already $100 a month, with no TV. And that is only for the Blast internet speeds.

they should add free rentals on all the movies/tv available on the PS store. then it might be a bit more compelling.

its a step in the right direction.

it doesn't significantly undercut traditional cable providers today, but without the limitation of needing to put infrastructure on the ground in each neighborhood, we should see more and more streaming TV services pop up, and as time goes on this really ought to put a downward pressure on prices due to there being competition where there once was none.

It's amazing what can happen when you remove or work around entrenched monopolistic forces!

Free markets FTW!

They could've made it available on the PS TV, and had new people in for the service for $79. Instead they require the PS3, or PS4.

Wait so thier streaming "tv" service doesnt work on the ps "tv" lol what a joke sony has become. Even my dad that used to worship them in the 80s has come to the realization that they are a garbage company now, a shadow of themselves living off their reputation and even that will come to an end soon as the baby boomer generation slowly dies off.

Cool, so I can pay as much as I would my cable company for the same crap. I guess it's a very small step in the right direction because it's streaming. However it's still packaged channels and the prices are still high. I'm interested in my locals + maybe 5 more channels. I'm not paying $50 for that. I already bought a tablo w/ lifetime guide, so I get locals for free. I'll probably pickup hbo now for $15/month, and I have netflix. I would think about amc, but really only watch walking dead. So $30-40/season pass might continue to be the best bet there.

It would be nice to have one central place for everything, but I think that is probably unrealistic for the next 5-10 years.

Aren't these the same exact services, at the same exact prices, that are already available on the PC? Why isn't there a story about that?

Price is high, but I'm glad others are getting into this market. It's a much needed thing. Competition for the big cable & satellite companies is good.

LoL...Look at the Netflix pricing...$1 higher than you can get its streaming service for yourself....;) ($7.99)

Plus, if you use your Blu-Ray player to connect directly to the Internet you can stream it in much higher fidelity and resolutions than you can get with just a computer/console...(which kind of tees me off but that is not Netflix's fault, it's due to the content companies and the restrictions they lay down. Makes you wonder why the gpu companies even bother with HDCP hardware these days.)

I think a lot of us are missing the point. This isn't Sony competing with Hulu/Netflix or even SlingTV. This is Sony competing with the tradition providers (Cable/Satellite). They're jumping into the old paradigm. Lots of channels for lots of money. In that regard, $50-70 is not that much.

There info graphic (is that there's?) doesn't convey this message and seems to imply they're competing with streaming services.

Plus, if you use your Blu-Ray player to connect directly to the Internet you can stream it in much higher fidelity and resolutions than you can get with just a computer/console...(which kind of tees me off but that is not Netflix's fault, it's due to the content companies and the restrictions they lay down.

I did not know this. Do you have a link to details? I'm using an HTPC to play on my TV, I wonder what I may be losing. It usually looks pretty OK though.

Makes you wonder why the gpu companies even bother with HDCP hardware these days.)

Also never made sense to me that the content owners are freaking out so much about streaming DRM, when just about 100% of pirated content comes from ripped blurays on (or sometimes even before) the release date.

I think a lot of us are missing the point. This isn't Sony competing with Hulu/Netflix or even SlingTV. This is Sony competing with the tradition providers (Cable/Satellite). They're jumping into the old paradigm. Lots of channels for lots of money. In that regard, $50-70 is not that much.

There info graphic (is that there's?) doesn't convey this message and seems to imply they're competing with streaming services.

Sure we pay more than $50/month for plenty of things, but the reality is there is tons of competition in the entertainment space that is cheaper or free. The content companies are going to have to trim the fat sooner or later. Get rid of all the underperforming shows/channels. They have been surviving because of bundling, but that is coming to an end soon enough.

I'm not saying this as somebody who struggles to pay my bills. I could pay much more for tv but why? It's just not worth it. Netflix has done to the tv/movie industry what itunes did to the music. It hasn't came full circle yet, but it will soon enough.

people complaining about the price should direct their complaints to the networks that set the price, not sony.

The idea of paying (crazy prices) for cable that still has commercials etc on it has never made a lick of sense, and I will never do it, I get all my *nix distros for free anyway.

Basic HD cable $49
PS Vue $49

Finally a choice emerges!!! Screw BOTH of them!!!!

Get your TV fix some other way. Most of it sucks anyway,

Plus, if you use your Blu-Ray player to connect directly to the Internet you can stream it in much higher fidelity and resolutions than you can get with just a computer/console...(which kind of tees me off but that is not Netflix's fault, it's due to the content companies and the restrictions they lay down. Makes you wonder why the gpu companies even bother with HDCP hardware these days.)

I've been interested in this, but googling around I'm not finding much. Have any links/details?

Back