Elon Musk: Driving Cars Will Eventually Be Outlawed

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wait...doesn't this guy sell "two-ton death machines?"

"It would be like an elevator. They used to have elevator operators, and then we developed some simple circuitry to have elevators just automatically come to the floor that you're at ... the car is going to be just like that." So what happens when we get there? Musk said that the obvious move is to outlaw driving cars. "It's too dangerous," Musk said. "You can't have a person driving a two-ton death machine."

Selling cars now and eventually wanting to sell self driving cars are not at odds with each other. He has a point, drivers in general are terrible.

We need to maintain driving cars as an option, but have it something that is licensed, and when I say licensed I mean REALLY license it with proper instruction and a high level of proficiency required, not just something that any lowest common denominator that any retard can pass as long as they don't run into the stop sign.

Use aviation as a model, which would be fine by me. That way it will be a badge of pride to be able to drive a "manual" car, and you don't totally kill the classic car culture as it would be great to still be able to see 60s Corvettes and the like on the roads in the future. Considering our airplane is a 1940 model (using a 1930s design) and still flies like a champ in regulated airspace which much faster and larger aircraft, I see no reason that cars can't be maintained to run a hundred years from their build date either.

:|

No. Just no. How's this going to work in South freaking Dakota? Maybe in the cities I can see automated cars. Out in the country, that's just never going to fly. Ever.

Truth. Every day I'm reminded of dumb drivers like the one doing 60 in the fast lane last night or the one who caused an accident and shut down a major interchange the other night or the brake tap happy one because driver is too dumb to create a buffer and coast.

Truth. Every day I'm reminded of dumb drivers like the one doing 60 in the fast lane last night or the one who caused an accident and shut down a major interchange the other night or the brake tap happy one because driver is too dumb to create a buffer and coast.

Ah yes, my 2 favorites. The asshole in the passing lane pacing the car to his right on a 2 lane road. And the nothing brakers, that randomly hit/ride their brakes over and over when there isn't a god damn thing in front of them.

And in my experience, it's usually smug asshole hyrbid owners or old people in almost all cases.

If/when the majority of the population is using self-driving cars, then those self-driving cars would undoubtedly "talk" to one another, therefore safe distances, signaling, etc would be much tighter and much more difficult for a human being to be able to react and drive along with, could be far more dangerous.

But this is 50+ years away, so who cares?

He then goes on to say that he hopes it never happens because he likes driving. People are glossing over that fact a lot and assuming that he thinks it is a good idea.

The people who enjoy driving are a dying breed.

i can see that happening one day in the future.. once automated cars are standard and the norm. only folks who can drive would be gov like police or military and the like, since they would need total control to make split second decisions.

This brings to mind the song by Rush: Red Bachetta. It paid tribute to the notion of individuality and freedom in the face of fascism and tyranny.

Elon Musk can GFO...

Fine.
Eventually someone will figure out a surefire way to automate flying an airplane, which is a (747) 360 ton death machine.
After they figure that out, maybe they can tackle automatically driving a car with no need for any driver interaction even in emergency situations.

Not a fair comparison. We used to also have switchboard operators until technology replaced them.

The difference between driving and elevator/switchboard/etc. is that one is enjoyable and one is a job. I don't think anyone gets an elevator thinking they want to operate the thing.

What is likely to happen is that certain jobs will be replaced. Mass transit, taxi drivers, and things like that.

So if all "legal" vehicles are self driving, what is to stop somebody from building a manual driven or remote control car and crash it into the automatic vehicles on purpose.

What happens if somebody or a lot of people with weapons start shooting at these automated vehicles while driving? Are they going to automatically try to run away from the shooter(s).

What happens if the automated system is hacked? You could cause every car to go out of control and crash.

No manual override is a very horrible, bad idea.

Automated cars are just a really bad idea in general.

Ah yes, my 2 favorites. The asshole in the passing lane pacing the car to his right on a 2 lane road. And the nothing brakers, that randomly hit/ride their brakes over and over when there isn't a god damn thing in front of them.

And in my experience, it's usually smug asshole hyrbid owners or old people in almost all cases.

Those are people who drive automatics with both feet.

Selling cars now and eventually wanting to sell self driving cars are not at odds with each other. He has a point, drivers in general are terrible.

See, this is where I think people make a huge error in attribution and estimation. I think most drivers are pretty reasonably. We notice the ones that suck because they are disruptive. However, if you actually pay attention to the people not pissing you off, you will notice there's a heck of a lot of them. Pay attention to the amount of disruption the bad ones cause, and you will see that if there were a ton, the roads would be utter chaos.

Driverless cars will certainly change the dynamic of things like conditional licenses to get to work for DUI/DWIs, yanking the licenses of the elderly, license suspensions and continuing to let people operate cars themselves after multiple infractions.

That being said, the average age of a car on the road is 11 years and growing. We are a few years off at least before you have ones that can be manually overridden. Then add some significant time before you don't get the shitstorms you see whenever a politician talks about something like not allowing any cars older then 4 years on the road.

Even if the technology was here today, 100% ready to roll, it'd be a while before it was the norm.

'There is nothing wrong with your vehicle. Do not attempt to adjust the speed. We are controlling your transit. If we wish to make it faster, we will bring up the speed. If we wish to make it slower, we will tune it to a crawl. We will control the accelerator. We will control the brake. We can change lanes, make your vehicle swerve. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all the places you can go. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your vehicle. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to – Elon Musk's Limits.'

Fuck that shit, see there are some people who drive simply to get from point A to B. Then there are people who enjoy to drive, and they will never go away. You can't take that away from us!

When a light turns green, every car in the line should be able to start moving forward no matter how long the line. I should not have to wait 10 seconds to start moving just because I'm 5 cars back.

Automated cars could help that.

Those are people who drive automatics with both feet.

Driving an auto with both feet can actually be fun, heh, especially on an autocross and if you have a turbo car, you need to keep on the gas through the corners to keep it in boost...

BUT of course this is totally different than what you were talking about, heh.

Except for the fact that mobility is freedom. The mobility of serfs was controlled for centuries if not millennia by their masters to assert dominance. The idea that we should just give that up to something that can be hacked or GPS monitored or...Mr. Musk has great ideas but he doesn't worry about the larger issues at play. Also, as Spidey329 states, driving is pleasurable. That's an extension of mobility as freedom...being able to drive anywhere, and to be in control, is fun. There are a million things we could institute in society that would be safer on the whole, but that doesn't mean they would bring superior end results; take a look at Prohibition. I merely advocate for a little more thinking about the issue.

Ellen Monk is one of the world's loudest stupid heads and it'll be a lot nicer when we don't have to listen to his stupid vision of the future that he obviously stole from one of those "world of tomorrow" articles that was published in like the 60s.

Elon Musk is rapidly going to my sh!t list! Who is this schmuck that cars should be outlawed. Fricken hypocrite MAKES a car.

While I agree the vast majority of drivers need to have their license taken away, this won't happen in any of our lifetimes. Sure technology might cause this in the next 100 years or so, but it will take at least a couple generations before enough of the public consent to not being allowed to drive period. I would agree with some of the comments that once self driving cars become commonplace that the requirements for having the right to actually drive go up steeply. I would absolutely support requirements that instantly eliminated 80%+ of the population from being allowed to drive at their current level of skill.

While I agree the vast majority of drivers need to have their license taken away, this won't happen in any of our lifetimes. Sure technology might cause this in the next 100 years or so, but it will take at least a couple generations before enough of the public consent to not being allowed to drive period. I would agree with some of the comments that once self driving cars become commonplace that the requirements for having the right to actually drive go up steeply. I would absolutely support requirements that instantly eliminated 80%+ of the population from being allowed to drive at their current level of skill.

The bigger problem isn't skill, it's overconfidance and a lack of self control. There are tons of people that drive totally stupid all the time, are impatient, and just do dumb stuff. Like live in any rural area and watch all the people in pickup trucks going too fast and just acting dumb. They all know better, but they're too busy duh-hyucking it up to realize that they could kill some perfectly innocent, smart person that innovates and uses team synergy to energize a creative workforce into reaching for higher goals.

'There is nothing wrong with your vehicle. Do not attempt to adjust the speed. We are controlling your transit. If we wish to make it faster, we will bring up the speed. If we wish to make it slower, we will tune it to a crawl. We will control the accelerator. We will control the brake. We can change lanes, make your vehicle swerve. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all the places you can go. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your vehicle. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to – Elon Musk's Limits.'

This was beautiful.

uh... Elon Musk is wrong. Maybe he was high when he said that?

It's impossible to have fully automated cars of any kind except on newly created secure "roadways".... and I don't think that is going to happen.... I mean it might, but we're quite a ways away from that.

Humm irobot did this so did the anime Armitage III and demolition man...

Can't wait for this day. Driving is by far the most dangerous thing anybody does on a daily basis. I think for people who like to drive there should be designated areas where they can have fun and do what they want but in general I think it would be great practice to prohibit person driven cars. Just the improved efficiency of traffic would be an absolute boon for most cities and the safety concerns are just secondary in my eyes.

how dangerous will it be when a hacker figures out how to take over your vehicle's controls? of course that's already possible today, but with more automation the hacker would have even more options at his disposal.

We need to maintain driving cars as an option, but have it something that is licensed, and when I say licensed I mean REALLY license it with proper instruction and a high level of proficiency required, not just something that any lowest common denominator that any retard can pass as long as they don't run into the stop sign.

Use aviation as a model, which would be fine by me. That way it will be a badge of pride to be able to drive a "manual" car, and you don't totally kill the classic car culture as it would be great to still be able to see 60s Corvettes and the like on the roads in the future. Considering our airplane is a 1940 model (using a 1930s design) and still flies like a champ in regulated airspace which much faster and larger aircraft, I see no reason that cars can't be maintained to run a hundred years from their build date either.

THis is the first good argument i have seen for allowing people to drive on automated roads. Im a rabid automated road fan because i hate how many lives we lose every year, but this is good.

One car has four the other car has only an adult in it. If the collision can be programmed so that it improves the chances for the children to survive and survivors, but only at the cost of the male adult in the other car, will the algorithms decide to sacrifice him?

I can't wait to see some fool with a self-driving car out here in Haliburton with a self driving car that thinks he's not on earth any longer.

Back