Blue Cross Hit By "Sophisticated" Hack, 11M Affected

HardOCP News

[H] News
These hacks sure have been happening with a lot more frequency. :(

According to the company, a slew of personal information of members and applicants was taken, including names, date of birth records, email and postal addresses, phone numbers, Social Security numbers, and bank account information. Claims and clinical information are also understood to have been taken in the attack.

Who gives a crap about these attacks.

Regardless of these events every ones information is out there to be taken. You just have to be unlucky that you are the one in umpteen million people they have to choose from.

The jig is up, there is nothing we can do. The mistake was made tying our entire lives to a number that is used for everything. DL, IRS, Employers, Health, everything.

Just shrug your shoulders and move on. The only real protection is to put yourself in a position to not need credit.... Which is impossible for most as our entire economy is built on false money supply and $30K entitled millionaires.

Just shrug your shoulders and move on. The only real protection is to put yourself in a position to not need credit.... Which is impossible for most as our entire economy is built on false money supply and $30K entitled millionaires.

Good credit can effect more than borrowing money. Credit when used effectively is still a powerful tool.

Oh man, 11m SSNs and back accounts. This is probably the worst attack I've ever seen.

They always say sophisticated. I'm wondering how many were the simple ones but they didn't want to be caught with their pants down, so they don't give details, only that it was 'sophisticated'.

and its going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
why? because its all broken in one form or another and no one person can fix it.
Its the public internet and its much like a public park.
Might as well turn a public park into a bank with paper walls... just stupid.

Enough is enough! Fucking lawmakers need to get off their asses and do something. These companies just shrug their shoulders and move on with day to day business as usual, leaving a wake of bullshit along the way. Protect our goddamn data or don't store it!

Enough is enough! lawmakers need to get off their asses and do something. These companies just shrug their shoulders and move on with day to day business as usual, leaving a wake of bullshit along the way. Protect our goddamn data or don't store it!

No, we need to do something about the hackers that are doing this.

Currently they might get a few years in jail if caught, and they have a very slight chance of getting caught.

We need to do a lot more to catch these people (including shutting down the dark net where they sell this information), then execute them. If they are in foreign countries that won't extradite to the US, then bad things from unknown sources need to happen to these people.

When it becomes to risky for the people doing this, it will stop.

Oh man, 11m SSNs and back accounts. This is probably the worst attack I've ever seen.

Bank accounts? Why would a insurance company have bank account information?
My insurance would have my social, but nothing on bank accounts.

Now I remember why. You can thank the health care exchanges setup by the government, and the direct deduction of payments from peoples bank accounts.

Enough is enough! Fucking lawmakers need to get off their asses and do something. These companies just shrug their shoulders and move on with day to day business as usual, leaving a wake of bullshit along the way. Protect our goddamn data or don't store it!
Fines beginning at "equal to damages" and going from there "MIGHT" get those at the top to consider giving the IT department a reasonable budget and demanding results.

First Anthem, now Blue Cross. All the health care providers and insurance companies are going to go down burning

Who gives a crap about these attacks.

Regardless of these events every ones information is out there to be taken. You just have to be unlucky that you are the one in umpteen million people they have to choose from.

The jig is up, there is nothing we can do. The mistake was made tying our entire lives to a number that is used for everything. DL, IRS, Employers, Health, everything.

+1. Anyone that thinks that their personal information is hidden or secure is delusional. If someone wants it, they will get it.

First Anthem, now Blue Cross. All the health care providers and insurance companies are going to go down burning

Anthem is a subsidiary of Blue Cross. The announcement is just the companies breaking down how many each company was hit by the original breach.

Now I remember why. You can thank the health care exchanges setup by the government, and the direct deduction of payments from peoples bank accounts.

Direct Pay/eBill, your checks. Why wouldn't they have your bank account numbers unless you paid cash everytime?

Anthem is a subsidiary of Blue Cross. The announcement is just the companies breaking down how many each company was hit by the original breach.
I learned something new today. Maybe I should also read the article. :(

That's absurdly silly to lay this at the feet of the ACA. When I was privately insured through BCBS ~10 years ago you could do direct deduction from accounts.

Thanks, Obama.

It's not in there, I don't think a lot of people picked up that they are the same company, and looking at the old articles on Anthem they weren't included, so I guess this is in addition to those so I was wrong there.

Anyhow, it looks like a similar attack to how it's thought that the attackers got into Anthem, by tricking employees into logging into a bogus site (In Anthem's case we11point. com and in Premera's case prennera. com)

+1. Anyone that thinks that their personal information is hidden or secure is delusional. If someone wants it, they will get it.

The problem is, we live in a victim blaming society. I agree with you completely, all of our information is out there. But it comes down to "You're an idiot. You should have protected yourself by doing X, Y, and Z." While X, Y, and Z might help, there's a lot people could do that they don't know about, potentially too much for any one person to know. There are basics, and that's pretty much all we should assume people should, or need to do. I mean, technically, if you get your identity stolen: Oh, you don't pay for everything in all cash? Well, you're an idiot who deserved to have your identity stolen which cost you hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to correct. But really, we need to focus on how to alleviate the problems, even though such victim blaming is easier and makes us feel better about our pompous selves.

No, we need to do something about the hackers that are doing this.

Currently they might get a few years in jail if caught, and they have a very slight chance of getting caught.

We need to do a lot more to catch these people (including shutting down the dark net where they sell this information), then execute them. If they are in foreign countries that won't extradite to the US, then bad things from unknown sources need to happen to these people.

When it becomes to risky for the people doing this, it will stop.

Aren't illegal guns penalized heavily, do you see that as a deterrent to illegal guns? With a will, there's always a way.

Preach on! How about these for starters:

1) Stop using the Social Security number except for Social Security and taxes.
2) Everything does not need exposure to the internet.
3) Stored personal data should be deleted after the transaction that needed it ended.
4) Compensation for victims of fraud and identity theft along with heavy fines.

Back