Star Citizen SXSW Video Montage

from a Youtube comment "Great trailer! But... is this universe completely devoid of women? I want to get all of my friends into Star Citizen, but it's frankly embarrassing showing videos like this when there's nobody in them my female friends can identify with!"

That was one my first thoughts as well. Otherwise, it was kinda.... meh?

From one of the lead developers:
Anyways, thanks again guys, we really busted ass hard on getting the new content together to be shown early. Couple bugs, not enough hair (or women :) ) but all of these things are on their way.
Check out Crysis...mostly bald dudes in there for a reason (because hair is tricky!)

So yea, still a WIP.

Hmm, I should have access to the alpha & beta. I really should check it out one of these days.

Things are very much in alpha stage right now. You can roam around your hangar and fly some Wing Commander-ish simulations in the Arena Commander module, tinker around with your ship's load out and interact with some stuff in the hangar, but right now the persistent world and FPS modules are not out for testing by anyone except the actual dev team yet, though I understand the FPS module will be out for testing sometime soon. This is more of a "what we're shooting for and what's in progress" kind of video.

The graphics look fantastic, here's hoping the gameplay is great (the flight engine is pretty interesting already). It better be good, I've already paid for it ;). I don't normally pre-buy games but I figured Chris Roberts deserved a chance to make this overly ambitious idea a reality, Wing Commander is one of my favorite game series and Privateer (the spiritual predecessor of Star Citizen) qualifies as one of my favourite games ever.

They recently said they've almost got the female models ready. They hired on a team that has really helped rerig the animation and skeletal system for the players. So that likely set back the addition of more models for a bit.

With the FPS module due out within a month, we can assume after that launches it will be time for them to go all in on various player models, aliens, and clothing.

from a Youtube comment "Great trailer! But... is this universe completely devoid of women? I want to get all of my friends into Star Citizen, but it's frankly embarrassing showing videos like this when there's nobody in them my female friends can identify with!"

My exact thoughts when I'm buying a game - who can I identify with?! That's why I didn't buy Tomb Raider. Starcraft was ok, though, as I identify with bugs. They weren't the proper space bug species, though, but I'm no racist.

man it goes show how much cultur has changed. I never once thought oh i'm playing a woman or a man or a asian guy or a black guy or a toaster. I just played the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE7TFnSl9y4

If it truly was, then you're not a gamer. More likely someone with a political agenda.

Uhhhhh, ok? LOL, wow... no, really I see games through a certain filter cause I'm usually playing games with the wife. She's not one for "conservative" characters either I might add. She loved SR3's female character options for instance ;)

Not having followed this game I wasn't aware that it's in it's really early stages. There's a lot of potential there for sure. Would like to see a well developed multiplayer space sim/mmo. Hopefully it doesn't turn out half baked with pretty graphics like a lot of games now.

man it goes show how much cultur has changed. I never once thought oh i'm playing a woman or a man or a asian guy or a black guy or a toaster. I just played the game.

I think it depends on the context of the game sometimes. If you're playing a game where the story is about "some dude" or "a toaster", then that's what it is. Other games, especially one's where you choose your character, it adds to the immersion if you can identify with the avatar you've picked in some way. In a game like a mmo it's critical IMO. Unless you never see the characters, like world of tanks, but that's not really a mmo. So yeah, context..

Yup, many people identify with orcs, goblins, pandaren, worgen, tauren...it has always been critical for playing games. I, myself, transcend the reality-game barrier and become the creature my character is. It doesn't go well with my wife sometimes, when one of her otherkin proves incompatible with my new self.

Yup, many people identify with orcs, goblins, pandaren, worgen, tauren...it has always been critical for playing games. I, myself, transcend the reality-game barrier and become the creature my character is. It doesn't go well with my wife sometimes, when one of her otherkin proves incompatible with my new self.

I should try this sometime. Sure my kids would love it.. the wife, not so much :D

During one of the earlier scenes that that trailer when they're walking through the hangar, anyone else get Wing Commander 1 flashbacks of after the missing briefing you're all running to your ships?

man, I really wish someone would redo WC1 with all of the secret missions and WC2 with all of the missions in this new Star Citizen Engine.

My gut reaction is to find this funny. However, I have had discussions that were just a teensy bit shy of this with multiple people. Like it's some kind of conspiracy that nobody gives a shit that in their head they are a dragon or a cat person or some other thing while trying to figure out how to make ends meet.

Ugh, can't edit my post.

Anyway, I found the pic

wing-commander-redux-20090130032214307-000.jpghttp:

I know the scene I am referring to in the trailer is nothing like the pic I just inserted, but for some reason I got a flashback of that haha.

and yep, I've been a backer since almost day 1 of Star Citizen! I can't wait for it!

The pirate with the helmet on was a woman.

In general society is a lot more critical of female appearances, so as the game is pre-alpha, they haven't shown much of their female models yet. They want it to be more perfect than they are allowing the male model to be shown. It will come.

From the twitch streams, screenshots, and the mega thread over in the PC Gaming forum this game LOOKS legit. It most definitely could make me drop coinage for a new video card.

However, being that it is run by creative/development types while bleeding backers buying ships or whatever I can't see how this game will ever be "ready" in their eyes. I am not one to alpha/beta test, I just want to buy this game (shit at this point I would plop down $100+ bucks) and then go to town.

I am skeptical if we see this thing ever get "released". I know we all hate publishers, but their is a reason you have to tell the creative team to shit or get off the pot.

Duke Nukem' 3D comes to mind.

If it truly was, then you're not a gamer. More likely someone with a political agenda.

This. When looking at an overly ambitious space game trying to push the genre forward, you watch a trailer and look for the sex/race of the characters? :confused: In a game about flying space ships in an SP campaign and supposed universe with trading and an economy? Really? And you would be embarrassed if it does not show "X race or Y sex"?

There is a game I've been following for years. They've been releasing some WIP images, and some of them apparently had a WIP player model with a black head and white hands. I did not even notice until I read comments. I was too busy looking at the stuff that actually mattered. :p

Game looks awesome. It's coming along and it's going to be great.

As for this:

Yup. Identity politics for you. Everything must cater to me and my specific racial/sexual/religious demographic or it is racist, sexist, and oppressive :p.

Space stuff looks great. The FPS stuff doesn't look as good as Mass Effect which is like 8 years old by this point.

I think you guys aren't catching the important part. If the FIRST thing you're noticing is "why aren't there women in this game", then you're not a gamer. No discussion to be had, at all. There is no mental gymnastics to play around this.

Space stuff looks great. The FPS stuff doesn't look as good as Mass Effect which is like 8 years old by this point.

I think they had to blow all the money they had coming in "somehow" and figured they'd give a bunch of guys they know jobs, or perhaps just doing the next best idea they had in mind for the game, to round it out and make it a "universe". Why have all these inside cabins rendered and modeled, with interactive parts, and not build an fps around it?

What we're seeing is extreme scope creep, but somehow its being managed pretty well. Now what the actual "final" game will be like, i've got no clue. Probably a cluster.

WTH does SXSW mean?? I keep seeing this everywhere

Its a music/arts festival "South by Southwest", to denote the area of the city the festival is it. Its pretty much the Cannes of the Music scene, or something similar. Less commercialized than Bonneroo, hundreds of bands play thousands of sets. Many of the smaller but growing in popularity indie bands will play 5+ shows over the course of the week. I've always wanted to go, despite me not really liking the mindsets of many of the people there.

I guess it looks OK. Not quite Farm Simulator quality, but I may buy it when it goes on sale.

Yeah people like this I think are just looking to be offended rather than enjoy the game. I mean what if you did a title swap in this sentence:

"
Great trailer! But... is this universe completely devoid of women? I want to get all of my friends into The Shawshank Redemption, but it's frankly embarrassing showing videos like this when there's nobody in them my female friends can identify with!
"

Do these people say the same thing about that movie?

Game looks awesome. It's coming along and it's going to be great.

As for this:

Yup. Identity politics for you. Everything must cater to me and my specific racial/sexual/religious demographic or it is racist, sexist, and oppressive :p.

I don't know how old you are, but I remember playing the original WC when it came out, and the characters were mostly white and AIR the only playable character was a white male. That was pretty much what the PC was in most games. Gamers were almost exclusively males, so they at least had it half covered with white + male. The audience is wider now and so the PCs models have to follow.

I'm excited about this game, but if the game is 2 years out, then I'll probably wait another 6 months or a year before joining the party

Back