New Roku Media Streamers May Be Imminent

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you are planning on buying a new media streamer device, put your plans on hold for just a little while until Roku announces their two new Roku devices that just cleared the hallowed halls of the FCC.

With that in mind, perhaps the new models represent some spring cleaning, as Roku eliminates redundant hardware with a more focused lineup. On the other hand, the FCC filings could be hinting at a more significant revamp, with new high-end hardware or an updated Streaming Stick

We purchased the Roku3 a couple years ago and as far as performance it is great. But what I object to is the idea that any analog connections are "low tech". That is BS. I like my old receiver that sounds great and has been a workhorse for 20 years. Loved the idea of streaming Pandora via the Roku3 but it has no analog outputs. 1 HDMI only. I can get a demuxer box to extract the audio but they are about $40. Plus I don't want more spaghetti wiring mess than I already have with my setup.

We purchased the Roku3 a couple years ago and as far as performance it is great. But what I object to is the idea that any analog connections are "low tech". That is BS. I like my old receiver that sounds great and has been a workhorse for 20 years. Loved the idea of streaming Pandora via the Roku3 but it has no analog outputs. 1 HDMI only. I can get a demuxer box to extract the audio but they are about $40. Plus I don't want more spaghetti wiring mess than I already have with my setup.

That's a problem I run into a lot. I have an old Onkyo 7.1 receiver that kicks butt (8 years now), but lacks HDMI. It was before Onkyo went to HDMI/Digital ports and started sucking quality wise.

That's a problem I run into a lot. I have an old Onkyo 7.1 receiver that kicks butt (8 years now), but lacks HDMI. It was before Onkyo went to HDMI/Digital ports and started sucking quality wise.

That's exactly it.

Most of the main stream audio gear they sell now a days is junk compared to the older stuff. Very poor build quality. LOW power output. They will advertise 100w per channel; will actually be 40 or 50w RMS.

Ive had the same appletv for 3 years and Im still happy with it. My mom's friends keep raving about being able to stream with their new chromecast or firetv when I have been doing it for years.

I've been rocking an HTPC connected to every TV since Windows XP Media Center edition, which I think was back in 2004'ish.

Ten years later I laugh hearing people act all amazed at being able to do 1/10th of what I've been doin' for a decade, lol!

Can't you guys who like RCA just use the output on your TV? I thought most modern TVs had this. Input sound and video to your TV through HDMI, then your TV outputs audio to you receiver.

Ive had the same appletv for 3 years and Im still happy with it. My mom's friends keep raving about being able to stream with their new chromecast or firetv when I have been doing it for years.

Apple history distortion syndrome. The first generation of Roku was like 7 years ago. So people have been streaming for a lot longer than that without any help from proprietary ecosystem Apple

Apple history distortion syndrome. The first generation of Roku was like 7 years ago. So people have been streaming for a lot longer than that without any help from proprietary ecosystem Apple

First Apple TV was released 8 years ago. It was so innovative that there wasn't a market for it and it flopped the first time around.

Disclaimer: I hate Apple products.

i really liked the roku 2's functionality (usb/media especially). but it was really slow to start everything.

Can't you guys who like RCA just use the output on your TV? I thought most modern TVs had this. Input sound and video to your TV through HDMI, then your TV outputs audio to you receiver.

2 things:
Not every TV has a stereo outputs. Our Panasonic flatscreen does not and it is only a few years old. Also, I don't want my TV turned on all the time when I just want some background music playing.

I should have said DLNzAinstead of streaming. I know that apple did not invent it but it seems like it wasnt much of a big deal until airplay.

I've been rocking an HTPC connected to every TV since Windows XP Media Center edition, which I think was back in 2004'ish.

Ten years later I laugh hearing people act all amazed at being able to do 1/10th of what I've been doin' for a decade, lol!

good for you?

Let's add up all the power those HTPCs have used over those 10 years and compare it to the 4 watts a Roku 3 uses.

Then, let's add up the costs of all the computers and compare it to the $99 a Roku 3 costs.

Now who is laughing?

We purchased the Roku3 a couple years ago and as far as performance it is great. But what I object to is the idea that any analog connections are "low tech". That is BS.

It is because you are a criminal for using RCA. The purpose of going to HDMI, was not for the sweet little connector that puts everything into 1 cable. That's just how it was marketed. The real point was to make sure you do not pirate anything of value. That is also why, per Bluray spec, a player cannot output anything at 1080p over an analog connection (including Component).

Only terrorists would need to use analogue connections. Are you a terrorists? :eek:

It's people like you who use the same receiver for 10 years that are the cause of our economic break down. You need to do your patriotic duty and consume.

1454031646_b1130e4f02_o.jpg

We purchased the Roku3 a couple years ago and as far as performance it is great. But what I object to is the idea that any analog connections are "low tech".

The Roku HD-XR I had six years ago had connects for everything. HDMI, S-Video, Composite & Component. Unbalanced (RCA) *AND* SPDIF optical audio out. That Roku had supported all of those legacy interconnects (plus Ethernet) was the biggest reason I bought it. But the only interconnect I really miss is unbalanced audio (RCA). My bedroom's TV speakers are crap- and I wish I can output to real speakers. (even computer desktop speakers would be an improvement)

But I use my Amazon Fires (Stick and TV) more than the Rokus now. Roku still excels in MLB, VUDU and DLNA/USB playback. If Amazon ever closes the gap in those areas- there'd be no reason to continue with Roku.

I just run everything to the TV over HDMI, then I run one optical cable from the TV to the receiver.

Let's add up all the power those HTPCs have used over those 10 years and compare it to the 4 watts a Roku 3 uses.
Then multiply that by 8 cents per KWH... which adds up to nothing for a system that is asleep when not in use.
Then, let's add up the costs of all the computers and compare it to the $99 a Roku 3 costs.

Now who is laughing?
How much my HTPCs cost ten years ago compared to the Roku 3? That doesn't make any sense. Most of my HTPCs are retired last-generation laptops that I re-purposed into HTPCs since they are nice and compact and have their own battery backup.

I did build a Intel NUC recently for my parents for around $400 IIRC. Again, can't compare it to a Roku 3, because a Roku does so little. Its like comparing roller-skates to a SUV. ;)

I just run everything to the TV over HDMI, then I run one optical cable from the TV to the receiver.

And you're getting degraded audio that your receiver is trying to do it's best with. I do this as well, by the way. :D Only because my older Onkyo does not do HDMI decoding, only pass through.

That being said, I love my Roku 3's.

Chromecast is still best bang for the buck and ease of use. Popcorn Time IO for internet streaming and VideoStream Chrome extension for local network streaming of 1080p content over WIFI pretty much cover all the bases. Can also use a $10 HDNI to 3.5mm audio adapter to stream music over WIFI to any dumb speakers from phone. Versatility is limitless.

Roku better release something with some HP. The Amazon fire I bought is leaps and bounds faster. I haven't used my Roku since.

Note: Did not have a Roku 3. Might pick one up or a new one for my bedroom.

The Roku3 was a significant leap HP-wise from the R2s and R1s. (needed for the new Netflix and YouTube channel UIs) And the 3s support screen mirroring from Android, Amazon and Win8.1 devices.

And can the Roku3s finally stream television from HDHomerun Prime tuners?

IIRC, one of the newer HDHRs now does H.264 transcoding, that's what the Roku can view using the Roku Media channel: (DLNA, USB, viewer) But it's not the MPEG-2 TS that you watch through the desktop/WMC.

The GooglePlay HDHR app has mixed reviews, same on HDHR app on Amazon. I still have a 2nd gen HDHR.

I have a Roku Soundbridge M1001 that I still use as a backup. I can't get rid of it, because I haven't found a "cheap" music stream that has it's own built-in screen. Everything assumes you have a TV waiting to display the menus.

Back