10 Pi Facts for the Most Irrational Pi Day of Your Life

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Today is Pi Day. Not just any old Pi Day, but one that occurs only once every one hundred years. The numbers for today’s special event at the Exploratorium in San Francisco started at 1:59AM PDT, making the event a very special date and time of 3.14159. :D

For 24 hours, Pi Day 2015 will be the one and only Pi Day in the next 100 years that will actually reflect the first five numbers in everyone's favorite irrational number, pi, which is 3.1415.

... The numbers for today’s special event at the Exploratorium in San Francisco started at 1:59AM PDT, making the event a very special date and time of 3.14159. :D

The missed the boat. It would have been even better if they would have chosen 3/14/15 9:26 :D :D :D

Well if you break time down to it's smallest measurable increment which is an attosecond you could get PI out to it's quintillionth place.

pi day? *checks date* oh... american notation... meh.

Where else do they unilaterally proclaim "days" for no reason? They are plenty of great things about America but being self aware is not one of them.

By the way, on May the fourth this year I'm planning to carry around a meter stick (that's right, no yards here, I don't live in Myanmar or Liberia) and beat anyone who claims that it's Star Wars day.

Where else do they unilaterally proclaim "days" for no reason? They are plenty of great things about America but being self aware is not one of them.

I think he was referring to the fact a lot of the world uses day/Mon/year. So it's 14.3.15.

It trips me up if I don't realize it on certain forums. Something like 12.3.2015 could be December 3 or March 12.

Where else do they unilaterally proclaim "days" for no reason?
The "reason" for pi day is to support math and science. Yeah it's more of a kid thing but hey, given how boring and hard math and science can be, anything to drum up a little interest.

Back