Mega Pondering Lawsuit Over Paypal Ban?

HardOCP News

[H] News
All I have to say about trying to sue PayPal is "good luck with that."

Two weeks ago PayPal closed the account of cloud-storage service Mega, citing pressure from Visa and MasterCard. The ban has undoubtedly hurt Mega's business, and CEO Graham Gaylard is in Europe to discuss possible legal repercussions against a report that's partly responsible for the ban

is there even a suit there?...cant PayPal decide to do business with whomever they chose?

I could see this suit working in Europe, they could try there because I remember Visa getting in trouble for picking and choosing who the allow to pay for products. I did a google easlier, and the case was related to the censorship efforts surrounding Wikileaks, but also Swedish outlets making fringe horror flicks and sex toys:

http://falkvinge.net/2012/11/20/eur...ing-wikileaks-donations-initiates-regulation/

Funny/interesting lines from a legislator:
“It is not reasonable that Visa, MasterCard, and PayPal can shut Swedish entrepreneurs out from trading online when they sell horror movies or sex toys, just because the payment providers are scared of American fundamentalist moralism”, says Christian Engström
“Another example is when Visa, MasterCard, and PayPal blocked donations to WikiLeaks. This happened without legal grounds and shall be regarded as the three companies collaborating in helping the American government to silence an inconvenient voice. It is unacceptable that private corporations has that kind of power over free speech”, says Engström.

In Britain there may be a case, their libel law is rather different. Basically change "knowingly false" to "intentionally damaging" - if anyone remembers the McLibel case that'd be an example of the difference, where in the US all the defendants would have had to do was prove that they were telling the truth.

Back