Fake "Flash Player Pro" Update Delivers Password-Stealing Trojan

HardOCP News

[H] News
As always, we know you guys don't fall for this stuff but we all have friends and family members that do. Spread the word, not the worm.

This campaign is targeting users who's DNS server settings have been changed to redirect them to malicious sites without their knowledge. This can be the result of a previous compromise of their routers via malware such as the DNSChanger Trojan, or a malvertising campaign such as this one. However it happened, these users are now in danger of getting saddled with Fareit.

I have given up giving the lecture.

Instead it's an easy £50 a time to clean it all off...again.

flash is broken half the time because I don't allow it to autoupdate. i'll be glad when it has been replaced

How do you tell the difference between this and the normal Flash Player? It's so full of holes that it might as well just steal all your passwords.

People still install Flash?

plenty of websites still rely on it. twitch.tv's html5 implementation is still not done. the flash player eats some ridiculous cpu power and alternatives like using "livestreamer" to feed twitch into vlc are as retarded as they sound. i wish flash was dying much faster than this.

You know in Linux this isn't a problem cause it automatically updates with the OS. In Mint and Ubuntu anyway, Along with Java everything updates through the repository. This is one of those issues with Windows update that results in both Java and Flash exploitation. Also Mint/Ubuntu comes with Open JDK for Java so no need for Oracles, and it works just fine with Minecraft as well.

Got AVG reminding me to restart my Windows machine for an "update", but most likely will replace my default webpage startup and add it's own search as well to my web browser.

...and what if someone gets malware into the repository? because it will probably happen one day

Nonono, not Flash Player Pro what you want is Flash Player Ultra! This crapware is all over foreign server movie streaming sites (from what the local victims have shown me.)

Back