President Announces Effort To Boost High-Tech Training

HardOCP News

[H] News
TechHire is a bold multi-sector initiative and call to action to empower Americans with the skills they need, through universities and community colleges but also nontraditional approaches like “coding boot camps,” and high-quality online courses that can rapidly train workers for a well-paying job, often in just a few months. Employers across the United States are in critical need of talent with these skills. Many of these roles do not require a four-year computer science degree. To give Americans the opportunity they deserve, and the skills they need to be competitive in a global economy, we are highlighting TechHire partnerships. Successful partnerships include:
  • Expanded regional employer hiring and paid internships for IT jobs (e.g., coding, web development, project management, cybersecurity) sourced from accelerated training programs based on demonstrated competencies instead of only selecting candidate using standard HR ‘markers’
  • Expand slots, upgrade quality, and diversify participants in accelerated training pipeline – expand local programs like coding boot camps, the best of which have 90 percent job placement rates – to enable more Americans to master the skills required to fill technology jobs and create a strong pipeline of technology talent that local employers demand and will hire that can be ready in months not years
  • Support from locally intermediaries – municipal leadership, workforce development programs and other local resources – that help connect people to jobs based on their skills and job readiness and help employers engage local talent trained in both alternative and traditional programs.
Over twenty forward-leaning communities are committing to take action – working with each other and with national employers – to expand access to tech jobs. To kick off TechHire, 21 regions, with over 120,000 open technology jobs and more than 300 employer partners in need of this workforce, are announcing plans to work together to new ways to recruit and place applicants based on their actual skills and to create more fast track tech training opportunities. The President is challenging other communities across the country to follow their lead.

I see the future... it is hoards of unskilled IT workers showing up in the next decade demanding high pay and low hours... They will be laughed at.

I see the future... it is hoards of unskilled IT workers showing up in the next decade demanding high pay and low hours... They will be laughed at.
To see hordes of unskilled IT workers demanding too much, I don't have to look into the future at all.

To see hordes of unskilled IT workers demanding too much, I don't have to look into the future at all.

Yeah no kidding. And most of them have degrees. Throwing more people into less rigorous, less regulated or standardized non-degree programs is not the greatest idea imho.

Many of these roles do not require a four-year computer science degree

There isn't a role on earth that requires all the crap you have to do to get a four year CS degree.

Not sure why they are so focused on IT as that is one of the easiest types of jobs to outsource ... we would be better off with a focus on biomedical skill sets (nobody wants to send their blood to India for analysis or stand in front of a TV monitor while a doctor in China asks them questions) ... or to offer programs to get people more graduate level STEM degrees (which are currently going to foreign students at a higher rate than USA students)

Not sure why they are so focused on IT as that is one of the easiest types of jobs to outsource ... we would be better off with a focus on biomedical skill sets (nobody wants to send their blood to India for analysis or stand in front of a TV monitor while a doctor in China asks them questions) ... or to offer programs to get people more graduate level STEM degrees (which are currently going to foreign students at a higher rate than USA students)

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but due to the way the new global economy has been designed by the powers-to-be, NO career is "safe" anymore, no matter how much education you get or how hard you work (in both school and in your career itself). Half the work you think (which already should not be a whole lot) they cannot or will not send overseas, they actually will. And with anything else they cannot send overseas, they are bringing in increasingly vast amounts of visa workers and illegal immigrants to create as much surplus labor as possible. The less work there is in the US, and the more competition there is for those jobs, the less they have to pay US workers. And the less they have to pay workers in one country (especially as central to the economy and as wealthy as the US currently is), the less they have to pay workers in other nations, and the vicious cycle becomes worse and worse.

There is a surplus of workers, students, and graduates for almost every job/career in the nation. More education/training is only going to slightly decrease one problem (lack of equal opportunity) and increase the other problem (lack of overall opportunity).

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but due to the way the new global economy has been designed by the powers-to-be, NO career is "safe" anymore, no matter how much education you get or how hard you work (in both school and in your career itself). Half the work you think (which already should not be a whole lot) they cannot or will not send overseas, they actually will. And with anything else they cannot send overseas, they are bringing in increasingly vast amounts of visa workers and illegal immigrants to create as much surplus labor as possible. The less work there is in the US, and the more competition there is for those jobs, the less they have to pay US workers. And the less they have to pay workers in one country (especially as central to the economy and as wealthy as the US currently is), the less they have to pay workers in other nations, and the vicious cycle becomes worse and worse.

There is a surplus of workers, students, and graduates for almost every job/career in the nation. More education/training is only going to slightly decrease one problem (lack of equal opportunity) and increase the other problem (lack of overall opportunity).

Bingo. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Offshore whatever jobs you can, and if you can't offshore the jobs, then bring the workers here with H1B1 visas or just hire illegal aliens.

Meanwhile the pay gap has soared the past 6 years, and the people that complain about the pay gap the most, continue to support the politicians and policies that make it worse/wider.

I see hordes of CEOs and stockholders demanding more and more for doing nothing but counting their money while worker's pay remains stagnant for decades :mad:

Outsourcing/work visas may be the source of our current woes, but I feel technological progression is going to lead us to the same inevitable outcome. We need to come to terms with the fact that, as a civilization, we are progressing towards an outcome where fewer and fewer "workers" can supply all the work demanded by our total populace. That's gonna leave a whole lot of non-workers, and I hope we don't end up as a society where the non-workers receive meager handouts from their beneficent "worker" overlords who live in ivory towers.

Outsourcing/work visas may be the source of our current woes, but I feel technological progression is going to lead us to the same inevitable outcome. We need to come to terms with the fact that, as a civilization, we are progressing towards an outcome where fewer and fewer "workers" can supply all the work demanded by our total populace. That's gonna leave a whole lot of non-workers, and I hope we don't end up as a society where the non-workers receive meager handouts from their beneficent "worker" overlords who live in ivory towers.

If this were truly the case (which I don't think it is) then we should find new ways to work ... our oceans are still largely unexplored and present many opportunities to live in and work in ... we have only started our movement into space ... building real space stations and colonies on the moon and Mars would create even more work opportunities ... people just need to expand their horizons and imagination a little more ;)

as long as lobbying/legislation favors the mega-corps over the small business startups, this gap will only increase. It's hard to compete as a startup when so much of real business manpower is diverted away from actually creating and selling a product.

Back