Netflix Says It Still Supports Net Neutrality

HardOCP News

[H] News
Netflix says that comments made by its CFO "were taken out of context" and that the company definitely still supports net neutrality.

"Netflix supports the FCC's action last week to adopt Title II in ensuring consumers get the Internet they paid for without interference by ISPs," Anne Marie Sequeo, a spokeswoman for Netflix, said Thursday. "There has been zero change in our very well-documented position in support of strong Net neutrality rules."

As is every other company, politician, person, etc.

What seems to be overlooked is that while Netlix can support net neuturality but they still need to operate under the current rules and regulations and if that means they need to work out deals with ISPs that's what they will do.

I support the idea that my company should pay me to sit home messing around on my computer all day, but until they agree to it I will need to come in and work if I expect a paycheck, that doesn't mean I don't still support being paid to stay home.

As is every other company, politician, person, etc.

Quite true. They can give a 1000 word speech, and PART of a sentence out of the middle will get used that by itself has nothing to do with the rest of speech, but in context, has a much different meaning.

59945102.jpg

Australia doesn't need Net neutrality rules, that's a bandaid for our local mess of natural monopolies controlling the last mile. Australia has local loop unbundling, which means you can choose between many providers for your service down there (though sadly those providers generally go through Telstra to do so).

If the FCC had the balls to do the same down here then those NN rules would be redundant. That said, this news is about peering agreements, the stuff Netflix offers to ISPs down here as well.

http://arstechnica.com/business/201...exemptions-except-when-it-benefits-from-them/

UPDATE: Rudolf van der Berg, an economist and policy analyst for OECD (and author of "How the ‘Net works: an introduction to peering and transit"), told us that Australian Internet providers traditionally have data caps because of the high cost of transit compared to other countries. Content delivered to ISPs through peering connections is generally exempt from caps, and it appears that Netflix is peering with ISPs in Australia. That means that ISPs can connect directly to Netflix without paying transit providers to carry the traffic.

Back