Latest PhysX Source Code Now Available For Free

HardOCP News

[H] News
NVIDIA, in an attempt to accelerate the adoption of PhysX, is now giving away its PhysX source code for free on GitHub.

NVIDIA today put more than a decade of research, development and investment in gaming physics into the hands of game developers – by offering free source code for NVIDIA PhysX on GitHub. This will accelerate the adoption of PhysX, the premier physics engine in gaming. And it will help game developers by lowering the barrier of entry to putting world-class physics effects in their games. Used in more than 500 games on multiple platforms, NVIDIA PhysX is one of the most popular physics engines for game development.

brb, digging through my boxes of old computer stuff to find my old ASUS PPU / PhysX card. It might finally be used for something.

Why are they 7 years too late? What hardware accelerated API solutions are most engines using now?

brb, digging through my boxes of old computer stuff to find my old ASUS PPU / PhysX card. It might finally be used for something.
That will not do you any good as it will most likely need to be disable at hardware driver level first in order use those old PhysX card for that work and I sure it will be bug as hell with ATI/AMD and Intel GPU and other who need update there drivers for it work with each other, Beside there 7 years too late any way they really f@#@ them over by doing this in first place just look at number games that come out nVidia pure in a boat cash in 2013 game and it did them no good in 2014 with only 3 game vs 8 in 2013 they dump cash in to and no tell how min we will see 2015 but things could changes we have wait and see what happing.

The link to the github page returns a 404 error even after logging into my Nvidia Gameworks account

Kind of an early April Fools joke I guess.

I think you're 7 years too late, NVIDIA...

Yup you said

Wholeheartedly agree, but will game devs take the time to bother with it is a better question? Only games of the top of my head I can think of that uses PhysX is the Batman Arkham series, Planetside 2 (currently disabled), Borderlands series & Alice: Madness Returns. Personally I do hope PhysX shows up in more games when it works it's awesome and does add to immersion.

Once they fix their link, this really can't do anything but good. It still the best implementation of "visual physics" that I've seen. IMO it adds quite a bit to the games that use it. Actually to the point where I don't really like playing the same games on hardware that doesn't properly support it. So, getting the source out there, and spreading it around more widely is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Whether or not anyone of consequence not already using it will pick it up is another thing.

Why are they 7 years too late? What hardware accelerated API solutions are most engines using now?

That easy at one point time we could use a Nvidia GPU like 250GTS and other card as PhysX card or the stand along dedicated PhysX card that was manufacturers by ASUS, BFG Technologies and ELSA Technology that also work with other GPU like ATI/AMD that was first designed by Ageia in PCI then there was where Nvidia made OEM ver 1x PCIe card must found in Dell system.

Nvidia made their own bed on this but not allowing anyone else to write compatible drivers and purposely kneecapping the software implementation.

Zarathustra[H];1041464027 said:
Some have moved to custom DX11 compute implementations, right?

You would think yes, but no.

it's about time...

Couldn't have said it any better. It probably is far too late to be useful at this point. It should have been done sooner. The adoption rate in the gaming industry showed many years ago they weren't going to fall into the Nvidia proprietary game in droves.

Zarathustra[H];1041464027 said:
Some have moved to custom DX11 compute implementations, right?

1285176867havok.jpg

That easy at one point time we could use a Nvidia GPU like 250GTS and other card as PhysX card or the stand along dedicated PhysX card that was manufacturers by ASUS, BFG Technologies and ELSA Technology that also work with other GPU like ATI/AMD that was first designed by Ageia in PCI then there was where Nvidia made OEM ver 1x PCIe card must found in Dell system.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you said, so let me know if I got anything below wrong.

At one point you could use a separate card for physx? You can still do that. You can't mix and match amd and nvidia for that? Does that hurt nvidia?

Ashbringer said:
Does havok support any hardware accelerated physics?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you said, so let me know if I got anything below wrong.

At one point you could use a separate card for physx? You can still do that. You can't mix and match amd and nvidia for that? Does that hurt nvidia?

The only reason you can't mix and match is NVIDIA being DICK'S it worked fine for years I used a gtx 460 with my xfire AMD cards with modded drivers. If they really want to be open they need to remove that from their drivers.

Yes at one point in time we could run separate card for for PhysX mix and match amd and nvidia for that
As in have an
ATI or AMD as the Primary Video Card along side with dedicated PhysX acceleration cards or any Nvidia GPU as PhysX Card but when Nvidia purchase Ageia back in 2008 the next year in 2009 that was end of it as Nvidia drivers deliberately disable support for on-GPU PhysX physics processing when they detect an ATI/AMD graphics card present in the system.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/09/28/mix-ati-and-nvidia-lose-physx/1

So, have they still blocked AMD systems from using PhysX with a secondary NVidia card?

No and I don't understand why that's important. Especially today with quad and octa core CPU's, why does it matter? Yes a GPU handles physics better than a CPU but the CPU is mostly unused in modern games.

Bad news, checked the code. It's just the SDK, not the drivers to software runtime so unless someone writes a complete re-implementation of the runtime based on the SDK (Which is possible but time comsuming). Nvidia will continue to run it's "our hardware only" ecosystem.

The 7-year reference is because NVIDIA acquired AGEIA in February 2008. Ever since then PhysX has been closed and proprietary while other accelerated physics solutions that are hardware-agnostic have been in wider use. Havok has been extremely popular since the last console generation, for one. AMD has the Bullet Physics library that uses the standard GPU compute pipeline for accelerating physics simulation.

Yep, and still only works with Nvidia hardware. Basically, they seem to want others to now do the work for them. Oh well, perhaps I am wrong but this is Nvidia after all.

Way too late. I love the added effects of physics in games, and wish more games would take advantage of it (moreso than just a few extra blowing leaves and moving fabric). Blowing smoke, realistic movement of foliage, environment destruction, movement of objects. Plus the extra objects in scene. Be it PhysX or Havok or whatever else.

I wanted PhysX so bad. I wanted to switch to NVIDIA for it. But, it wouldn't give me much improvement unless I went with those few games that use it.

Yep, and still only works with Nvidia hardware. Basically, they seem to want others to now do the work for them. Oh well, perhaps I am wrong but this is Nvidia after all.

Hit the nail on the head.

I liked the effects on Batman series, but this is another way for them to get others to code and promote them. Sorry they couldn't let us use an NVidia GPU for PhysX next to an AMD GPU. Not worth going back now, with so few titles supporting it and a looming release of HBM from AMD.

Eat a hot bowl of dicks NVidia.

Facepalm. What should they do, do AMD's homework for then too? The source code is free now. Good lord.

Bad news, checked the code. It's just the SDK, not the drivers to software runtime so unless someone writes a complete re-implementation of the runtime based on the SDK (Which is possible but time comsuming). Nvidia will continue to run it's "our hardware only" ecosystem.

Well, I just lost interest. Seriously not worth getting excited about if they're not releasing full source.

Hit the nail on the head.

I liked the effects on Batman series, but this is another way for them to get others to code and promote them. Sorry they couldn't let us use an NVidia GPU for PhysX next to an AMD GPU. Not worth going back now, with so few titles supporting it and a looming release of HBM from AMD.

Eat a hot bowl of dicks NVidia.

+ this^^^^

Well, I just lost interest. Seriously not worth getting excited about if they're not releasing full source.
I know that what p@#@ me off back in the day when did that.
Who know maybe if want back in game and Jen-Hsun stop being a Bubble Head and re-enable like it use be.

Back