Sid Meier's Starships Coming in March

Even though I was let down by Beyond Earth, I'll still surely end up buying this when it hits the $30 mark, as I'm gay for Sid.

syfy is back yo

probably going to by this

• Fully customizable starships: Create an armada that fits your tactical plan with modular spaceship design.

FUCK YAR I WANT THIS NAO!

Hurray, we got teased by the intro movie to the game... Is Sid Meier still actively producing this stuff? Or is he simply a name that's used to sell it? And yeah Beyond Earth bored the ever living crap out of me. I'm tired of ground based Civ building games. Now can we get cool space battle shit going? Then maybe we got something. StarDrive and Distant Worlds: Universe are two that I've enjoyed, RTS with tactical 4x style, good times!

Should be integrated with Civ. BE as a freebie.

Might make a whole game.

Beyond Earth was so spectacularly bad. I won't be buying anything from firaxis until it's in the bargain bin if they are lucky.

Beyond Earth was so spectacularly bad. I won't be buying anything from firaxis until it's in the bargain bin if they are lucky.

I agree. The only reason I own it is because I got it free with my Radeon 290X. Charging $50 for what amounts to a space re-skin of base Civ 5 is bullshit.

Beyond Earth was garbage, and I have pretty low expectations of Starships. I would say that if you want to play an epic game where you command a fleet in space, the Homeworld Remaster is excellent.

I think it would have been fine if it were sold as an expansion pack to Civ 5, the same as many of the other packs we've seen.

I think it just seems really bad when you expect it to carry the full weight of a Civ 5 successor, which its not.

I will probably go ahead and dive in since it is supposed to be $14.95

Oh dear looks like they just made Master of Orion 4x more complicated.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Outside of graphics, they seem to went the direction of MoO3 by wanting to put everything possible into the game. Keep things simple, a value that represents population on planets, a value that represents "food", a value that represents "money" and a value that represents "research", then ships with a bunch of cool weapons. Don't get me a god damn religion in the game, and claiming to have some useful political system is laughable since most all are broken in some way "Hey we like you" next turn "I hate you, we are at war". And ditch spying complexity too, have a number that represents your ability to spy, and defense from spies.

the game looks like a modern rehash of old space turned based games. I would've been much more impressed if they incorporated 3d maps and combat and real time play with anytime pause option. The demo of the game looks like it was simply modded from civ5. A $10 game at best or something you play on an ipad on the bus to work.

Master of Magic - yes, that was a great game.
What about GalCiv 2? I think it's better than MOO2 (which was awesome).

Couldn't remember what it was about GalCiv that I never liked, something about the mechanics. IMO MoO2 is the standard by what all other 4x space games should be set. There have been some good ones too, Sword of the Stars (the first, not that abomination of a sequel), also fancied Space Empires IV which was not technology up there but the back end ability to mod just about everything (easily) made it quite fun.

I think it would have been fine if it were sold as an expansion pack to Civ 5, the same as many of the other packs we've seen.

I think it just seems really bad when you expect it to carry the full weight of a Civ 5 successor, which its not.

It seems really bad because it is really bad. The game uses the Civ 5 engine and it plays very similar to Civ 5. They took all the experience they had from Civ 5, release a game that doesn't change very much in terms of core gameplay, and you fuck it up beyond belief. If the game was released before Civ 5 as a new game successor to Civ 4 then yes, it probably wouldn't seem so bad. But the game uses the Civ 5 engine and plays very similar to Civ 5. I wouldn't expect it to be perfect but it is just really bad, bland, and boring right now.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Outside of graphics, they seem to went the direction of MoO3 by wanting to put everything possible into the game. Keep things simple, a value that represents population on planets, a value that represents "food", a value that represents "money" and a value that represents "research", then ships with a bunch of cool weapons. Don't get me a god damn religion in the game, and claiming to have some useful political system is laughable since most all are broken in some way "Hey we like you" next turn "I hate you, we are at war". And ditch spying complexity too, have a number that represents your ability to spy, and defense from spies.

Yeah there is only so much you can keep track of without it becoming..a chore. Moo2 managed to get the level just right.

All we really need is a modern remastered Moo2 that runs on modern hardware with say 10% extra in gameplay tweaks and add ons.

the game looks like a modern rehash of old space turned based games. I would've been much more impressed if they incorporated 3d maps and combat and real time play with anytime pause option. The demo of the game looks like it was simply modded from civ5. A $10 game at best or something you play on an ipad on the bus to work.

funny you say that.. as that is the target market for this game.

the game has been stripped down to be playable on the Ipad

The reviews are in and it reads like a bag of shite ( much like Beyond Earth ) big surprise on that one:

"This is not a PC game we are used to seeing here on Steam. The game is nothing more than Smart Phone game app Fraxis and 2K Games masqueraded as a PC game and slapped Sid Meier's name on it. This game in no way plays like a Civ game or a 4x stategy game. "

http://store.steampowered.com/app/282210/

Tried it, and this is really a phone/tablet game. Why Fraxis decided to do a lazy port to PC, who knows. Money grab is the only thing I can think of. Reminds me of an 80's Star Trek game.

The GMG price of $11 is about right, if it's still available. But don't expect much.

I want a remake of the old Microprose game "Master of Magic" loved that game.

Totally agree. Luckily for us, there is.

If you haven't heard of it yet, do a search for "Worlds of Magic." It is a spiritual sucessor to MOM.

Beta has been buggy, but fun. Hopefully most of the bugs will be gone by release.

I still think there is no game better than SEiv I would kill for a true successor. Right now I mod it and give conputer ax bonuses

I still think there is no game better than SEiv I would kill for a true successor. Right now I mod it and give conputer ax bonuses

I personally prefer Civ II. Wasted tons of hours playing it as a kid. Spamming cities and building improvements everywhere was fun. Ever since the Civ games tries specialize the cities too much. By the time of Civ 5, building more that a dozen cities was impractical, nor did you have enough room for it. There was no longer any sense of large scale and the strategies feels like I am playing fantasy games. Luckily I found better alternatives like EU and HOI.

I personally prefer Civ II. Wasted tons of hours playing it as a kid. Spamming cities and building improvements everywhere was fun. Ever since the Civ games tries specialize the cities too much. By the time of Civ 5, building more that a dozen cities was impractical, nor did you have enough room for it. There was no longer any sense of large scale and the strategies feels like I am playing fantasy games. Luckily I found better alternatives like EU and HOI.

that was my beef with civ5...it actually kind of actively punished you for building too many cities and/or upgrades. Endless Legend and Endless Space are where I go for 4x now.

that was my beef with civ5...it actually kind of actively punished you for building too many cities and/or upgrades. Endless Legend and Endless Space are where I go for 4x now.

I just realized that Sid turned into a tree hugging environmentalist. why else would a jungle give people happiness and more food?:D

Why is it so difficult for game designers to come up with a game better than MOO2?

Keep the basic UI/framework of MOO2, update it to 2015 spec and add in some extra tweaks, new tech, planet types, races and features. No need to add complicated bewildering 3D interfaces and star maps.

3D is largely useless in such games. With 4x games the imagination is as important as the graphics.

This game in NO WAY was supposed to be MoO2. I'm not sure why everyone keeps using that as the comparison, it would literally be like saying "Why isn't Halo like MoO2? It's in space after all!"

This game was a very VERY simplistic game, and it's priced as such, they slap Sid Meier's name on it to try and sell copies. It's not a HORRIBLE game by any stretch of the imagination, but there really isn't much to it. The relation to Civ: Beyond the Fuckup really is non existent except maybe the names of the resources you can get and the names of the leaders.

Sfsuphysics is right. This was never intended to be a full 4x game in space like MOO2 or any other similar game. However, they failed even to make a good game of the smaller scope they WERE trying to make. Pretty pathetic.

Why is it so difficult for game designers to come up with a game better than MOO2?

Keep the basic UI/framework of MOO2, update it to 2015 spec and add in some extra tweaks, new tech, planet types, races and features. No need to add complicated bewildering 3D interfaces and star maps.

3D is largely useless in such games. With 4x games the imagination is as important as the graphics.
Galactic Civilizations 3?

Back