A Quake Tournament Where Nobody Knew How To Play Quake

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is so damn sad...and funny....all at the same time. How do you not know how to play Quake?

These players were playing Quake as it would have been in 1996. The advanced exploitation of an engine was not known to them. To an experienced Quake player this display might be hilarious, and maybe you'd even want to reach out and teach them. Yet the game I was watching didn't show player crying for help. They were both well matched, the game was a close one and went to three maps.

So sad that I still play Quake -- Quake Live to be more specific. It's painful to see them play like that.

What they need to play is the original Unreal Tournament on the low-grav 3 tower map. Those were fun times.

How do they not play Quake? Dude, these guys were born in the 90's. They probably also have no idea who Men at Work are and what life was like before cell phones.

what is sad about people who never played quake trying to play it and doing poorly?

what is sad about people who never played quake trying to play it and doing poorly?

nothing, but it boosts the ego to ridicule others and i bet most of them aren't much more competent at quake than the players in the video.

Wow, I just got a blast of nostalgia. I remember playing rocket arena/ Q3A religiously with my brother and friends back in the day, it was neat to see this again; though I remember the game play being so much more fun back there, servers loaded up to the max, lagging out because of the rockets or someones 56k dial up connection

We still play Q2:Ground Zero almost every weekend.

The only "better" shooter out there was Crysis Wars, but it's harder to play with Gamespy down.

The newer FPS games are just dumbed-down copies with trivia (Graphics) added to make them different.

Who has time to look at high definition textures in a fragfest? :D

I like this breakdown of Quake:

Quake is a game of hard skill thresholds. Once a player has reached certain 'checkpoints' in development it becomes very hard, if not impossible, for a player of lower skill to beat this person. Progressing in Quake is a game of losses.

Quake -> Quake 3 were the last FPS games I was truly good at. The competitive scene turns into a control and denial match up to keep the other player(s) off the items that would let them stage a comeback. After enough playing I had muscle memory for picking up nearly every item on every map right as the items spawned.

Quake 3, not Quake.

But yeah, I could have totally played in this tourney. I think I've played Quake 3 three times ever and every time I've just quit and fired up Unreal Tournament instead. I don't know why but I just always liked Unreal Tournament more. Now that game I wouldn't be eligible for a novice tournament.

Anyone remember Bob Barker's Showcase Showdown Q3A server? Playing on the weekends was a blast. I was with XTO clan for awhile. Got tired of it around 2004-05. I think most of the good servers were gone by then.

Simple: These are competitive gamers, not your average Joe off the street. If you have played ANY first person shooter ever made, you should be able to play Quake / Doom / Unreal Tournament. In fact, it should be 100x easier since all you had back then was WASD * spacebar * and a mouse.

nothing, but it boosts the ego to ridicule others and i bet most of them aren't much more competent at quake than the players in the video.

:rolleyes: Yeah, that's what it is.

Agreed, it almost boils down to, "Haha, I'm older than you!"

:D That is definitely part of it! It's hard for us old folks to figure out how kids that play competitive games don't know how to play the ones that started it all.

ahhh.

I never played Q3a competively but Unreal Tournament 99' that was our games.

<A> Alliance gaming.. I went by <A>Hand_Of_DetH but was using that handle since the original Quake. :)

Fun times.

this could've been the easiest 800 euro in my life

Loved quake, my best memories were the first few moments playing and learning the game.

I used to love playing Quake with my friends. Sadly, we no longer have time to play games together. Families, jobs, etc.
It's fun to watch this video. I think I could totally get my skills back (if the arthritis lets me :) )

Loved Quake, loved Quake 2 as well.

My heart sank when I found Quake 3 was just multiplayer. I still have a copy but my total playing time for Q3 is probably an hour.

So... they're definitely playing like newbies. There's nothing wrong with that! In fact, it's GREAT that people are discovering Quake again.

I do so miss playing Rocket Arena 2. 300 ping, crappy dialup, and I didn't care.

I used to love playing Quake with my friends. Sadly, we no longer have time to play games together. Families, jobs, etc.
It's fun to watch this video. I think I could totally get my skills back (if the arthritis lets me :) )

I went back into CS1.6 where I was a god back in the day and I sucked hardcore. I think my reflexes have gone to shit recently since I don't really play much of anything anymore.

It's interesting reading the praise for Q3A now, because I remember people being generally upset over the MP-only nature of the game back then. Had some insanely fun times playing in those days, but I'm probably terrible now.

One of my favorite gaming experiences was when the 3dfx patch for Quake and Tomb Raider came out. Holy crap, I had a Diamond Monster 3d card and it was AMAZING the graphic difference.

Yes, if you remember this you are as old as I am lol.

One of my favorite gaming experiences was when the 3dfx patch for Quake and Tomb Raider came out. Holy crap, I had a Diamond Monster 3d card and it was AMAZING the graphic difference.

Yes, if you remember this you are as old as I am lol.

Ahh yea, driving down to Silicon Valley because Fry's used to only be there and it was the only reliable place to get one. CompUSA didn't carry it.

Ya know, this drive down nostalgia lane is pretty fun. Having a special computer sure did mean more back then.

:D That is definitely part of it! It's hard for us old folks to figure out how kids that play competitive games don't know how to play the ones that started it all.

Uh oh, is this our 'get off our lawn' moment?

Kids these days just don't know how easy they have it. Back in my day, we didn't have fancy things like ladders. If we wanted to get to the top of a cliff, we had to rocket jump! And we were grateful about it, dammit!

Wow, I just got a blast of nostalgia. I remember playing rocket arena/ Q3A religiously with my brother and friends back in the day, it was neat to see this again; though I remember the game play being so much more fun back there, servers loaded up to the max, lagging out because of the rockets or someones 56k dial up connection

+1

I loved to rip up a public server in Q3, as someone mentioned the skill gap was pretty pronounced in that game.

Not to mention some of the maps and weapons usually made it easy to to run into a room with 3-4 guys shooting/dodging each other and just wipe them all up with the plasma or a few rockets. While a lot of twitch skill, if you knew the maps and common areas you had another leg up (just like all shooters).

Never was a pixel rail guy but boy if you ran into a good one, you were pretty much screwed.

This just made me remember waiting for the legendary VooDoo5 card. I had a voodoo3 in my gaming pc, rockin that 333mhz athlon K6-2 like a boss.

I think I downloaded the Quake II shareware on a 33.6 modem and the fucking game ran at like 5 fps on my IBM Aptiva.

This just made me remember waiting for the legendary VooDoo5 card. I had a voodoo3 in my gaming pc, rockin that 333mhz athlon K6-2 like a boss.

Reminds me of having arguments with my friends in 1999 about which video cards to buy. I loved the Voodoo line, but I was touting the benefits of the Riva TNT2 and my friends weren't having any trash talk about 3dfx limitations in textures and color depth.

Back