Blow To The Head Turns Man Into A Genius

HardOCP News

[H] News
Maybe this is why our parents kept smacking us upside the head when we were kids. They wanted us to be smarterest. :D

How about this for a movie script: A man who hates math gets punched in the face and turns into a math savant. It's not Hollywood -- it's real. In fact, experts say it could happen to any of us.

Well if he had been alive 4000 years ago he would have been a genius having discovered Pi, as it is, he basically got his GED.

I took a log to the head and all I did was throw up a bunch of times and feel like shit for a month.

Man who hates math becomes an OCD social cripple who can draw.

You know what they say about the bulb that burns twice as bright...

I can barely relate to "regular" people as it is, I can't imagine how socially nonfunctional I would be if this happened to me.

This guy has been a story on many pop culture shows. It's both exciting and frightening what could happen if we understood this process and could reproduce it artificially.

Heh, I wonder if all of those fights I got into when I was younger changed my leanings any. Probably not, considering I didn't become an OCD savant. If anything, probably lost a bit of intelligence.

As for this... ugh. This article. The way it says "could happen to any of you!" Translation: "If your child is retarded, just beat the crap out of them!" I'm sure there are better ways of killing off certain brain portions and using others besides causing concussions, but I think some people are actually going to be stupid enough to try this.

Actually this is a well known documentation of the human brain, for SOME fucking reason the area's of the brain that demand your most control and are designed to operate your motor skills for some people other functions build there such as math, music etc.

The reason this is so amazing is because the area's of your brain that control motor functions etc are doing literally hundreds of thousands of calculations a second to keep you upright, focusing your eyes, controlling your limbs etc, so when some other function ends up there its astronomically advanced

The reason this is so amazing is because the area's of your brain that control motor functions etc are doing literally hundreds of thousands of calculations a second to keep you upright, focusing your eyes, controlling your limbs etc, so when some other function ends up there its astronomically advanced
Except then your shits all retarded and you talk like a fag.

Tradeoffs.

Probably could have used a similar "boost" when I was in high school and college. Math and I didn't (and still don't) get along.

I'm not denying his talent now, but drawing straight lines with a ruler and a very fine tipped pen to make geometric shapes is supposed to be some gauge of math ability? Those guys who invented the Spirograph must be super savants!

Also loved the little bit about the extent of his medical treatment, they said he had a concussion, gave him some pain meds and sent him on his way. Best medical care in the world! Yessiree!

Does this work in other physical areas as well? If I kick myself in the nuts, will I gain in size and girth?

Does this work in other physical areas as well? If I kick myself in the nuts, will I gain in size and girth?

No, it would damage something to then improve elsewhere. So if you got kicked hard enough in your nuts, likely you would gain sensitivity to emotions and start to improve in the culinary arts.

mGoxJ1.gif

This guy must possess at least a 12th level intellect!!

I'm not denying his talent now, but drawing straight lines with a ruler and a very fine tipped pen to make geometric shapes is supposed to be some gauge of math ability? Those guys who invented the Spirograph must be super savants!

I was thinking the same thing... he draws abstract mathematical shapes... What makes him a math genius? Can he factor polynomials super fast or something?

I took a log to the head and all I did was throw up a bunch of times and feel like shit for a month.

All I got was a bunch of hospital bills, eventually surgery and a bunch more hospital bills.

I would have preferred something more like this so I could at least make some cash out of it.

I was thinking the same thing... he draws abstract mathematical shapes... What makes him a math genius? Can he factor polynomials super fast or something?

Was wondering this myself. Where's the genius? So he now realizes known fundamental science taught in schools?

There's another math savant who can calculate incredibly fast. IIRC, he see's the world in a similar fashion.

I wouldn't go calling this guy a math genius yet, but the potential is there.

I also read the article looking for some indication of special insight/talent

I didn't find any

Cool. I'm going to start selling hammers on Ebay as "Smarteners!" Give yourself a good whack on the noggin and see what happens! Only $9.95, free shipping!

If you could kick yourself in the nuts I would be impressed... or tell you that maybe you should get those nuts that are dragging that low looked at my a doctor.

A bad case of constipation made me really good at conjugating verbs.

At this point, this is probably my only chance for getting an A on my control theory mid-term.

I know it didn't worked for me. Already did that 4 years ago (although not on purpose). Landed in hospital for few days. Still hate math... :D

Back