Personal Weather Stations Can Expose Your Wi-Fi Network

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you own a personal weather station, you should check your network settings. It was reported that personal weather systems send out station data and along with it, sends out your SSID and even your password over unencrypted connections. Say hello to all of your neighbors for me. :D

This issue adds to a growing list of basic security lapses discovered in smart home devices and other Internet-connected appliances that have invaded the consumer electronics market in the last few years.

It's becoming clear that companies aren't going to start taking digital security seriously until they start facing serious penalties for failure to do so.

If you must have a personal weather station one way you can mitigate this issue is by getting a router with guest wifi and connecting the station only to that ssid.

Regardless, this is ridiculous that this data gets transmitted.

It's becoming clear that companies aren't going to start taking digital security seriously until they start facing serious penalties for failure to do so.

I'm willing to bet that security will become very important once these device manufacturers get hit with a wrongful death lawsuit.

For example, if the security failed on a smart smoke detector, was turned off, and a fire started, the company can (and should) be held reliable in my opinion.

Back