GCHQ Unlawfully Spied On British Citizens For Years

HardOCP News

[H] News
What do rulings like this even mean? Is it going to change anything? Are they going to stop the “bulk interception” of electronic communications?

The agencies make a distinction between intrusive “mass surveillance”, which they insist they do not undertake, and “bulk interception” of electronic communications, which they say is necessary in order to carry out targeted searches of data in pursuit of terrorist or criminal activity.

Umm, what does this ruling mean?

It means that although there was nothing illegal about what the Brits and US were doing except that the protections that were set up for people were secret protections that the people weren't aware of. Now that people know about the protections that are there for them, the GCHQ's rules are no longer illegal.

Yea your mostly right Steve, this don't mean shit and doesn't address anyone stopping anything anyway.

The government has done nothing wrong.

It looks like what it boils down to is GCHQ didn't want people to know what they and the NSA were doing, obvious one right, and so they couldn't tell people that GCHQ had created rules to protect them from being abused under the programs without making everyone aware of the programs themselves so the GCHQ's rules kept the protections secret in order to keep the programs secret.

Under Articles 8 or 10” of the European convention on human rights, (not sure why they can't pin it down to 8 or 10, I mean which is it?), if people don't know about their protections then they aren't protected cause they can't complain about a violation of their protections under the law if they don't know the protection exists. The European Convention is an EU construct and the UK is a member of the EU and legally have signed onto this treaty and bound under it for what that's worth.

Aardvark I am only interpreting the article not making my own Judgement on it.

Reading works best when you make the effort and try to comprehend what you have read :rolleyes:

Ahh, and I got all defensive for no reason.

Remove foot from mouth:eek:

How dare they protect the country and its citizens from terrorist attacks and organized crime :rolleyes:

Back