Apple Granted 45 Patents Today

HardOCP News

[H] News
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has rubber stamped forty five more patents for Apple today. One of the more interesting patents is for "accessing a vehicle using portable devices."

The first is about displays with unique openings that could be used for audio, wireless transmissions and beyond. The second patent of interest covers an advanced automotive access and control system. We wrap up this week's granted patent report with our traditional listing of the remaining granted patents that were issued to Apple today.

Oh great, Apple is holding advancements in technology and society back even more.

Won't it be awesome!?!?! You'll pull out your phone..."Siri, use your GPS to tell me where my car is, then give me directions to it, then unlock the doors and start it for me.". Awesome. All my friends will be jealous!

Except, my phone will be dead, and because I'm a Millennial who couldn't figure out how to make fire with a book of matches and a lighter, I'll just freak out and panic until my parents are phoned to come get me, hit me with a breakthrough dose of my favorite anti-anxiety and anti-depressant meds, and go home and sleep for a few days until I can 'get my bearings again'...then...woah, get my parents to buy a better car, man...and get me a better battery for my phone.....

Or you know, maybe not but.....................

"Granted Patent: Accessing a Vehicle using Portable Devices"

How the hell can they patent this? Key fobs have been around for decades!

We should scan the list carefully....they might have been granted a patent for turning ice into water.

"Granted Patent: Accessing a Vehicle using Portable Devices"

How the hell can they patent this? Key fobs have been around for decades!

And now Apple owns the patent on them, lol.

you won't need keys or a keyfob in the future, just your phone.
phone in your pocket, walk up to car and it unlocks, get in, and now you can start it, then the music plays as it streams from your phone.
I think that is how Apple sees it.

vehicle will probably have a wireless charging system in it to keep the phone charged up.

Oh great, Apple is holding advancements in technology and society back even more.

uh... how is Apple holding advance technology will hold the society back?

Look at lightning cables. This pretty much advance the micro USB to the next stage.

Similar thing for Displayport to miniDP, and thunderbolts from Intel...etc

Don't really want to bias anything, but from a consumer point of view, they actually push other OEM and manufactures to adapt onto the new technology faster than before. Even when they were not the one who invent it or first adapter.

Not to mention, if it wasn't the first gen iPhone, we wouldn't have what Android it is today.

uh... how is Apple holding advance technology will hold the society back?

Look at lightning cables. This pretty much advance the micro USB to the next stage.

Similar thing for Displayport to miniDP, and thunderbolts from Intel...etc

Don't really want to bias anything, but from a consumer point of view, they actually push other OEM and manufactures to adapt onto the new technology faster than before. Even when they were not the one who invent it or first adapter.

Not to mention, if it wasn't the first gen iPhone, we wouldn't have what Android it is today.

Hahahahaha, you had me until the last line :D

And now Apple owns the patent on them, lol.

you won't need keys or a keyfob in the future, just your phone.
phone in your pocket, walk up to car and it unlocks, get in, and now you can start it, then the music plays as it streams from your phone.
I think that is how Apple sees it.

That will be great for the crook who steals your phone. now you'll be without a car and a phone.

That will be great for the crook who steals your phone. now you'll be without a car and a phone.

crook has to know you have an iPhone enabled car, and it would be pretty easy to track down your phone and car.

It would be hilarious when the day comes that a 0-day exploit can unlock any and every car that's controlled by a rotting fruit. Apple denies the problem for a year while the carjackers have a field day.

Then again, if you have an Apple device, you deserve to have your car jacked either way. You're supposed to be hip, go ride a bus.

It would be hilarious when the day comes that a 0-day exploit can unlock any and every car that's controlled by a rotting fruit. Apple denies the problem for a year while the carjackers have a field day.

Then again, if you have an Apple device, you deserve to have your car jacked either way. You're supposed to be hip, go ride a bus.

Skimming the patent summary, it sounds like they patented any method of remotely unlocking your car. So not just iDevices.

Get ready for a string of lawsuits towards all the car manufacturers and after market auto start manufacturers.

I wont get into what I really think should happen with the patent system, but if there's one rule they really need to make is you should not be able to patent something that's already been done and already been made public.

Can someone explain to me how patents work present day in the US? Can someone just right some idea or mock up of the device on a napkin and ask for a patent on it, and get it?I need to know the criteria for a valid patent so I can just think up things that are patentable and then sue anyone that uses them.

I would like to patent a device that makes phone calls, receives emails, texts, AND is implanted in the brain. The future is mine!!!

Can someone explain to me how patents work present day in the US? Can someone just right some idea or mock up of the device on a napkin and ask for a patent on it, and get it?I need to know the criteria for a valid patent so I can just think up things that are patentable and then sue anyone that uses them.

Yes. If they have the money and the lawyers, and the company they are trying to sue is less politically connected.

Well, the big money boys, Apple being one of but many, decided that the "prior art" was one of the primary stumbling blocks to them raking in more cash by stealing other peoples ideas. Especially the little guy, that can not afford to patent every stray thought that enters their mind. So, to fix this glaring injustice, they pulled out their wallets and got the rules change to "first to patent". Now, silly little things like you already sell a similar product, and fortuitously for the big money boys, did not adequately patent, they get to patent it, then send you a request for payment, or a cease and desist.

Yes. If they have the money and the lawyers, and the company they are trying to sue is less politically connected.

Well, the big money boys, Apple being one of but many, decided that the "prior art" was one of the primary stumbling blocks to them raking in more cash by stealing other peoples ideas. Especially the little guy, that can not afford to patent every stray thought that enters their mind. So, to fix this glaring injustice, they pulled out their wallets and got the rules change to "first to patent". Now, silly little things like you already sell a similar product, and fortuitously for the big money boys, did not adequately patent, they get to patent it, then send you a request for payment, or a cease and desist.

Is there a set fee for applying for a patent? Or does it go up the poorer you are...lol.

Is there a set fee for applying for a patent? Or does it go up the poorer you are...lol.

a quick search tells me that q patent can cost 5-15,000. so that really puts it out if range for someone like me. it costs more as a percentage of your earning. i live in austin tx. the median income for a family is $59,000. if you have kids, where are you gonna come up with 10-25% of your yearly income? and I dont make 60 grand a year.
then comes the big cost of defending the patent. which may cost hundreds of thousands. the patent game really is rigged for the wealthy, like most things in Murica these days.

Revolution is coming dudes! Just wait a bit and sharpen your pitchforks and light the torches.

What? 45?
Didn't they already patent a rectangle with rounded edges? How many more basic shapes can there be to patent? :p

Back