Ubisoft Reinstates Far Cry 4 Keys

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apparently Ubisoft has decided to reinstate some of the Far Cry 4 keys that were deactivated last week. The company says it is working with EA to prevent this from happening again in the future.

After further investigation into the matter of keys that were fraudulently purchased on EA's Origin store, we are reinstating keys for consumers who already had successfully activated and started playing the games. Any remaining fraudulently obtained and resold keys have been deactivated.

How can fraudulent keys be purchased from their own store?

Sounds like they made a Boo Boo. ;) No way in hell they went through all of the trouble for the Dog and Pony show to suddenly feel sorry for their thieving customers and reinstate the keys.

Ubisoft would never intentionally take action to cause harm to its loyal customers. The company strives to continue delivering amazing gaming experiences safely through trouble-free, transparent DRM mechanisms. Though these mechanisms are designed to be as user-friendly as possible, there are sometimes unforeseen problems, but customers can be assured that Ubisoft will work tirelessly to ensure those problems are addressed and quickly corrected so that persons with a legal claim to the use of one of its games will be able to do so without lengthy interruptions.

IMO, good press by Ubisoft to do this. While yeah they could have just said "screw them dumbasses should have known better than buying a key at half price when the game was so new" they don't want to further alienate any particular fans (anymore) and maybe they rework the whole bulk-sale of cd key business considering it's probably fraudulent more times than it's not :)

Well, a bunch of the keys that they banned and now unbanned were entirely legit bought, at least according to someone on NeoGaf who was contacting Ubi because he had been the reseller and he had purchased them directly from them, just as he always does... all in all i wouldn't trust Ubi

The message here is pretty clear.

Don't buy Ubisoft products.

They're openly customer-antagonistic cockbags who don't deserve their customers' money and are doing more to actively promote piracy than all the piracy sites out there.

What, EXACTLY, is so hard about this?

Sounds like they made a Boo Boo. ;) No way in hell they went through all of the trouble for the Dog and Pony show to suddenly feel sorry for their thieving customers and reinstate the keys.
Then why the hell would EA cover for them if it was ubisofts fault?

How can fraudulent keys be purchased from their own store?

Probably purchased in a region that gets cheaper pricing (Russia, South America, etc.), then resold to users in regions with higher pricing.

They werent purchased from Ubisoft's store they were purchased from EA through Origin.

That is what they claim, but again, from this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=979151&page=15

SirJackDaniels
(01-26-2015, 12:53 PM)

<< I know for certain that several games has been banned that i supplied.
There actually is a way they can differentiate keys for a certain area. They usually do this by IP checking.

For example:

I sell UK boxed games. A customer activates it in Poland. Ubisoft knows by IP / account check that the Polish customer activated a UK game. This should not matter whether its EU west or EU east as long as its within the EU Zone its free trade of goods.
The moment that a customer buys a key from Russia, Ubisoft will know that the Russian key has been activated on EU. But who is infringing copyright? Not the consumer but the seller which is selling Russian keys illegally imported in the EU.>>

Just because they bowed to public pressure doesn't mean that they didn't have the right to pull keys bought with a stolen CC. If what Revdarian mentioned is true then that could explain the change of heart too.

Which is why I never said they didn't have the right to do what they did. In fact I clarified several times that I knew they did. Just that it was a bad move.

Back