Would You Let A Robot Valet Park Your Car?

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is no way I'd trust this robotic forklift looking thing to park my car. Think about it, when the robots take over the world, do you want them to already have your getaway car? :eek:

I'd do it. As long as I'm not signing any liability waivers. They are fully liable for anything and everything that happens.

Better than this:

ferris-bueller-ferrari-jump.jpg

The first thing that came to mind was Nine from the anime movie sitting in the driver's seat then Nine and star treks six of nine pulling a Cole and Brent driving scene with your car...

Oh that should have been a minus not a plus in the code. Sorry about the holes in all your doors. :p

I would totally go for it if 1) It didn't cost more to park than if I manually parked, and 2) they don't have any signs that say "Not responsible for damage to your vehicle"

Although that said, I don't speak ... whatever language they were speaking (German?)... but what exactly is the point of this? It doesn't look like they pack cars in super tight and efficiently, and if it did then you'd have to wait while slow ass robots play a big game of the slide tiles. Only thing I can think of is that it allows you to just leave your car and go to catch your flight? In which case your fault you didn't leave 15 minutes early to find parking.

I would totally go for it if 1) It didn't cost more to park than if I manually parked, and 2) they don't have any signs that say "Not responsible for damage to your vehicle"

Although that said, I don't speak ... whatever language they were speaking (German?)... but what exactly is the point of this? It doesn't look like they pack cars in super tight and efficiently, and if it did then you'd have to wait while slow ass robots play a big game of the slide tiles. Only thing I can think of is that it allows you to just leave your car and go to catch your flight? In which case your fault you didn't leave 15 minutes early to find parking.

For me at least, it is more you don't have some random schmuck getting into your car with whatever infestations he has or smelling like the 3 packs of cigs he just smoked and keeping my keys. That said I typically prefer to park myself, but there are times and places where this type of service is nice.

I'm worried that it fork lifts my car. I wouldn't want that.

Watch the vid, it actually doesn't in a way that threatens the car. It's basically lifting the car a few inches off the ground by the wheels. There is no contact with the undercarriage.

I would use it, but......how is that cheaper than hiring valets at minimum wage (or less...if they are like waiters...tips make up most of the income)? Seems like it would take years to pay for itself.

I like how German engineering and architecture is the best in the world.

There are automated parking garages that are much more space-efficient.

Yes, but you can't retrofit an existing parking garage into one of those; you'd have to demo and rebuild. This likely just needs to have some sensors, transmitters, and a couple charging stations installed. Laser-scan the garage's layout and let the control system figure out where to park.

And would I trust this to park my car? Are you kidding? Have you seen the average person trying to negotiate a parking garage? *shudder*

A) Its lifting via the wheels, so I don't see a problem with this
B) Given valets history of joyriding higher end vehicles I trust this fucking leagues more than them

You couldn't pick up the fact that the language is German just from the conversation and the watermark of Düsseldorf airport?

There is a point to this in the sense of managing garage space efficiently. I've been to that airport and having a highly automated system that can be booked and accessed by smartphone is appealing. Moreover, this allows for efficient inventory of all cars parked, while the airport can operate this 24/7 with very minimal need for staff.

Cars will be driving themselves within a decade, and the entire road system will be this way within 30 years imo.
Maybe a little optimistic.

Cars will park themselves, and any proprietary systems like this will be obsolete. Unless of course these systems can handle a vertical stacking system in addition to the purely horizontal movement of vehicles on their own, then you have a market segment.

Isn't this the same company that put together the Amazon warehouse robots? At the very least, the concept is the same.

Dear, we'll be leaving in 40 minutes. Please go get the car.

They've been using similar in Asia for probably 20 years. I would be more worried about the system Audi was trying to implement over the next year or two where the car could park itself in a preexisting parking lot.

NO. I wouldn't let that thing park my car. It's not because I'm afraid of damage, I just don't want to wait 3 frickin' hours when I want my car back because it happened to park it in the spot furthest from the entrance.

NO. I wouldn't let that thing park my car. It's not because I'm afraid of damage, I just don't want to wait 3 frickin' hours when I want my car back because it happened to park it in the spot furthest from the entrance.

http://www.e-globalparking.com/faq/

How long does it take to park and retrieve a car?

The following are approximate loading and retrieval times of a 50-car Robot-Park™ system (cars per entry lane per hour):

• ±45 seconds to store a car (after pressing the activation button);
• ±70 seconds to retrieve a car;
• ±2 minutes to store and retrieve a car;
• ±30 cars per entry lane per hour (storing and retrieving).

Where required, the above figures can be reduced by implementing our High-Speed system.

I'd use this, assuming they take liability if their robots harm my car of course. And I don't use valet parking because I refuse to let anyone else drive my car!

Back