President Asks For $14B To Step Up Cybersecurity

HardOCP News

[H] News
Raise your hand if you have faith in our government to use this $14 billion wisely. Anyone?

Following through on his State of the Union address, President Barack Obama has added $14 billion to the 2016 budget proposal to beef up cybersecurity in the US, according to Reuters. If approved by Congress, this money would be used to better protect government and private computer systems from hackers.

I have no problem with $14B if they have a balanced budget, and they take that $14B away from some other part of government... and since this is "defense" then take from the DoD.

Raise your hand if you have faith in our government to use this $14 billion wisely. Anyone?

Wait a minute. A huge multinational company gets hacked (Sony), and several retailers get hacked (Target, Home Depot). These companies are all "big boys" and do not need any government assistance to lock their own systems down. So, what is a government entity going to do with 14b? Make laws? Government bailout of corporate IT security departments? This is idiotic.

I'd be more willing and positive about these types of things if the government spent the money wisely. Seeing some of the contracts and the costs involved (way more than in the public sector at times), it makes me mad. Seeing people jack prices up for a government contract or having the contract go to someone that was a higher cost but is a friend of a politician or the politician is an investor in the company... that pisses me off.

Spend it wisely. A 1 year simple project shouldn't hire a project manager for $250K a year and drag on 3 years...

Might as well give the money to me so I can flush it right down the toilet. No need for a GAO investigation later.

On second thought, if they wanted to say, scrap the entire f-35 program and divert those funds I would be ok with that. Not going to happen.

On second thought, if they wanted to say, scrap the entire f-35 program and divert those funds I would be ok with that. Not going to happen.

Yeah I don't think 14B out of a couple trillion defense budget would hurt, they probably waste ten times that amount on random pet projects here and there. Why not pull some funds from there, it would make sense.

Yeah I don't think 14B out of a couple trillion defense budget would hurt, they probably waste ten times that amount on random pet projects here and there. Why not pull some funds from there, it would make sense.

No one wants to give up their pet project, though. When you say something, "Jobs... You're going to lay off some people that are just working hard for their families...".

They send out these "Cybersecurity Awareness" things every 6 months via email. You know, so we are all up on "Cybersecurity".

:rolleyes:

Aren't the NSA, DoD and FBI fully funded? Begging for more money, when the national debt is this high is just sickening. He should be embarrassed beyond words.

The sheer nerve to do this is staggering. And of course they will pass something like this, Congress is full of millionaires getting fat paybacks from programs like this.

At a time when our security agencies are massively overfunded, our defense budget is completely insane, and basic human needs like food, water, healthcare, education, transport are neglected, how can the govt even ask for this?

Government and software LOL. I have seen too many examples of the government trying to develop anything software that goes horribly wrong and horribly over budget.

does it really take that much money to teach people to stop clicking shit, creating better passwords, and not leaving their passwords saved on a post-it note on the monitor ?

No one wants to give up their pet project, though. When you say something, "Jobs... You're going to lay off some people that are just working hard for their families...".
I can think of more than a few gov't folks that wouldn't be missed if they were "laid off": And they've got more than enough stashed away to retire more than comfortably. I say take the $14B from their ill-gotten gain and then lay them off; starting from the top and working down.

Probably going to be used for R & D on a cyber laser network a'la the Strategic Defense Initiative.

not worry, the Chinese will pay for it.
105%GDP of debt, but hey no one seems to care, so why not have your 'frenemies' pay for the defense against their own hackers.. it is a WIN-WIN!.. no downside here.

Back