The British Army Is Allegedly Training a Group of 'Facebook Warriors'

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Another country goes to the dark side of the Internet in the quest to keep its citizens safe as reported by the Financial Times. The British Army is in the process of recruiting and organizing The 77th Battalion which will be comprised of 1500 tech savvy cyber warriors that will fight the enemies of the homeland on the battlefields of Twitter and Facebook in the land of social media. :rolleyes:

The 77th Battalion will roughly number 1500 warriors, including journalists and people with skill and experience regarding social media interaction. These 'warriors' will use Facebook and Twitter as their primary weapons to gather intelligence, spread falsified news and propaganda.

A particular famous Churchill speech passage come to mind, but I can't bring myself to take this seriously enough to type a parody of it.

We will fight our enemies on the twitters, the facebooks and tumblrs! We will never surrender all our base!

Now any anti govt posts will be met with an onslaught of positive responses praising the govt.

I don't know why you guys are bitching here, I was checking on facebook and twitter and there were at least 1500 adamant supporters of this initiative. Long live the Queen!

same as it ever was

same as it ever was

yawn

Oh look where my hand was!

johnny-cash-flipping-bird.jpg

God. Is the British Army THAT determined to make a laughingstock out of themselves?

I know a couple of facebookers that need their ass kicked so this may be a good thing :rolleyes:

Well, those washed up e-sports *snerk* people need something else to do once they get caught cheating and still don't wanna be bothered with taking a bath or seeing natural sunlight.

Psy-ops. Honestly, it makes more sense to be fighting terrorism via propaganda and the war of ideas than it does with bullets. It's an ideology we're fighting, not some finite state army.

journalists and people with skill and experience regarding social media interaction. These 'warriors' will use Facebook and Twitter as their primary weapons

state-sanctioned and funded... trolling?

has no one told them that the internet is serious business??

next up: some guy in Russia scripts a bot that outperforms these 1,500 people by 9000%...

...to gather intelligence, spread falsified news and propaganda.

Facebook and Twitter seem to be doing a pretty good job of that already, even without the military getting involved.

Back