The Complete Guide To Building Or Buying A Standing Desk

HardOCP News

[H] News
This guide to the perfect standing desk has a bunch of good links to projects and products for anyone looking to build or buy a standing desk.

Standing desks are popular, but choosing a good one is no easy task. You could go with a motorized, whole desk replacement, or DIY a simple solution. You could even buy an adjustable attachment to go on top of your existing desk. Let's talk about what you may need in a standing desk, what you can get for your budget, and how to choose what's best for your needs.

Last edited:
Standing desk? Sounds like some commie propaganda to me... wouldn't be surprised if this is all Kim Jong-Un's latest attempt to destroy America by making our feet too sore to march.

And sure they say sitting too long is unhealthy, but tell me you have never seen anyone faint and fall over smacking the living hell out of the back of their head on a hard surface because they were standing with their knees locked for long periods of time.

Mmmhmmm...

Standing desk? Sounds like some commie propaganda to me... wouldn't be surprised if this is all Kim Jong-Un's latest attempt to destroy America by making our feet too sore to march.

And sure they say sitting too long is unhealthy, but tell me you have never seen anyone faint and fall over smacking the living hell out of the back of their head on a hard surface because they were standing with their knees locked for long periods of time.

Mmmhmmm...

Moderation... Get a standing Desk... with a Standing desk chair. Have had it for years. I sit probably 60% of the time.

I live in the UK and am dying to get a good quality standing desk that's customised with cable management, power plugs, etc. I can't find any company that will service a single-desk order though, and there aren't any suppliers that will deliver and assemble the kind of complete solutions this article links to. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Standing desks are popular. They are so popular that I've never seen one in an office environment.

Can people stop making shit up.

I'd love a standing desk if i could swap it between sitting and standing with the push of a button, or at least a lever and then move it down/up. I like having my feet on the ground for a proper gangster-lean while gaming; a high chair would be no good.

Standing desks are popular. They are so popular that I've never seen one in an office environment.

It depends on what industry you work in but standing desks have been gaining traction as prices come down (IKEA just started selling one for around $500-600).

I really do find it more comfortable to stand while working and as Inu said once I actually started using my standing desk I'm standing for close to 70% of the day while working.

Mmmhmmm...
Lol.

In all seriousness though, these things are meant to be convertible. Sit part of the time, stand part of the time. You get sore feet, you sit and you lower the desk. You can sit all the time if you want and just raise it to stretch your legs a little.

IRL, I have seen 2 people lock their knees and pass out, both were kids doing some performance on stage. The only other time I've seen it was on TV. It doesn't happen that often. Besides, this is meant for a work environment. People don't stand, face one direction and NOT move like they would standing in a choir, standing at the altar, or some other scenario.

Lol. Agreed. "Popular" is definitely a relative term here. In all fairness though, they are becoming more popular as health studies increase proving that you shouldn't be sedentary all day. The health benefits are there, but the media sure blows it up more than they need to.

And they aren't found too often in corporate environments due to the cost. You can usually purchase several ergonomic chairs for the price of one sit/stand desk.

They are used often in SCADA utility control rooms or things like air traffic controllers ..etc so the fattys aren't sitting all day...we have motorized ones here.

My gf's employer provides every employee with a sit/stand desk, and my own is following suit when we move to a new office next month.

My anecdotal evidence is better than yours!

My gf's employer provides every employee with a sit/stand desk, and my own is following suit when we move to a new office next month.

My anecdotal evidence is better than yours!
Mine sucked (recently laid off as of last Fri(day)). You have to have a medical reason for having those type of desks. :(

I live in the UK and am dying to get a good quality standing desk that's customised with cable management, power plugs, etc. I can't find any company that will service a single-desk order though, and there aren't any suppliers that will deliver and assemble the kind of complete solutions this article links to. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?
I bought a nextdesk. it came out of texas. I don't know if they'd ship to you but they were willing to work with my university that was being a huge pain in the ass with red-tape regarding PO's and payment before delivery, etc.

I'd love a standing desk if i could swap it between sitting and standing with the push of a button, or at least a lever and then move it down/up. I like having my feet on the ground for a proper gangster-lean while gaming; a high chair would be no good.

The standing desks we have at work do that, there 4 buttons that store your custom heights, press a button and it moves.

The standing desks we have at work do that, there 4 buttons that store your custom heights, press a button and it moves.
mine has that and it came with something they called "Pulse" that connects to my computer's USB so I can control it from an applet. I wrote some scripts so it adjusts throughout the day and reminds me when to switch.

the thing to remember is that the key is movement rather than standing vs. sitting. you'll also want a good perch stool.

I got a Hag Capisco
http://www.ergodepot.com/HAG_Capisco_p/8106.htm

here's my office
10847476_929389063738788_8325175853448694066_o.jpg

natural bamboo, recycled aluminum, and the chair is white leather and recycled aluminum.
here's the comfort mat I ordered: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UA2WNI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I did a lot of research that started with trying to develop an ergonomic office space and fell down a rabbit hole after realizing there is no such thing as an ergonomic chair.

so that's the cumulative result of a couple weeks' research and what I found seemed to be best.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a standing desk

I'll be honest, I sit at it 100% of the time

That's a nice clean setup mope54. We don't have anything that fancy here. At least for us low level people. lol

Standing at my office desk now. I stand for 75+ % of the day. I have a proper chair too for lunch or if I just want to sit for a bit.

Like others above. We technically need a medical excuse for it (which I was able to get). Most of the people who wanted a standing desk would just raise it since it was the cubicle walls with notches in it. The only downside to DIY here is you wouldn't necessarily have a chair unless you stole someone else's or brought one in.

I built one from ikea parts and have been using it for a couple years now. I sit at work all day, so I make sure I don't do the same when I get home. Now my problem is not slouching while standing there for longer periods, but you definately won't be standing still for long enough to pass out from locking your knees.

You can think it's silly, but after sitting for 8+ hours a day for 10+ years, you can feel it taking it's toll on your body. Constant back pain is horrible.

11 years ago I used to work in a warehouse picking and packing items for shipping, standing for 8 hours.
Now I work in a cubicle sitting down. I'm not eager to be standing up for work anytime soon.
The complaints of white collar office workers when it comes to stuff like this amazes me.

I bought a nextdesk. it came out of texas. I don't know if they'd ship to you but they were willing to work with my university that was being a huge pain in the ass with red-tape regarding PO's and payment before delivery, etc.

Thanks - but doesn't that have voltage issues being US built?

I've built my own by using simple wall shelve track and 24" bracket. I use a cherry 32" x 1" board for the desktop. I use a drawing chair (34" extension max) for when I want to sit but I mostly work standing up. The main benefit for me with that desk over a regular one is that I'm forced to take a break once in a while, which help with the concentration. It's also a great help in breaking my WoW addiction.

11 years ago I used to work in a warehouse picking and packing items for shipping, standing for 8 hours.
Now I work in a cubicle sitting down. I'm not eager to be standing up for work anytime soon.
The complaints of white collar office workers when it comes to stuff like this amazes me.

...and both of those jobs were/are bad for your health. I recommend understanding the problem before you belittle it.

Eh, I just take an hour long walk every day (yes, every day of the week). It definitely helps. Otherwise I'm always sitting down though (and always reclined, because I don't think sitting up at 90* is actually healthy). Even when I'm weight training (which I do consistently but casually). Don't really envy having to stand up all the time.

Speaking of weight training, there are ways to strengthen your back via machines and such (if that is a concern). There is one machine where you start out it a kind of sitting posture and then bend out backwards. When I messed up my back lifting something the wrong way (someone left 2 80 pound weights sitting around in my way, so I just lifted them both up at the same time and moved them over... and then realized I made a mistake), I started using that. I moved up from about 130 pounds to 185 in a relatively short period of time, just doing it regularly for a very short duration. The difference is noticeable, too. Now I can go around lifting heavier and heavier objects the wrong way! Eventually I'll rise up to the pinnacle of back muscle strength so that I can lift everything the wrong way!

One of my long-held ambitions.

Back