Tesla P85D Insane Mode Launch Reactions

This makes for an effective commercial since people automatically associate EVs with golf carts that don't go anywhere when floored.

I love the one with the old dude in the back seat, giant smile on his face...

The little kids are funny, her phone just flys out of her hand.
Dayum thats fast. But so quiet. I must has loud engine!!!

Really looking forward to see what the Model 3 has to offer when it comes out (eventually) since I'll actually maybe be able to afford one.

Are the brake lights flickering because of the camera or because of the electrical load? hoping camera.

I cant wait till i get mine, own a P85, that i am gone sell, and i am loosing only 15% in 2y of the new price if i sell the car now.

As here in Norway, 4WD is a real plus, on often slippery roads in the winter, next to that the 3.3sec 0 to 60 is a nice bonus. ^_^

I bought a turbocharged Ford because of the massive low and mid rrange torque benefits you get. I can see this becoming my dream car once battery technology has made at least 2 more jumps forward with lighter weight, longer driving range, and of course an infrastructure to charge it with since I do not just hover around my home.

I cant wait till i get mine, own a P85, that i am gone sell, and i am loosing only 15% in 2y of the new price if i sell the car now.

As here in Norway, 4WD is a real plus, on often slippery roads in the winter, next to that the 3.3sec 0 to 60 is a nice bonus. ^_^

How is the cold on the battery life?

Will be interesting to see if everyone has this what the fatality rate goes up to... :eek:

If I just wanted the absolute fastest, then I would just strap a rocket to my car. It isn't absolutely about having a sub 3 second car. If you don't have the sounds and smells an IC engine makes at that kind of power, then honestly it is just boring. Sure it's great and all to see electric advancing, but honestly very few give a crap how fast it is. If it can't be charged in the same span of time you can fill a fuel tank, cost roughly the same and have the same range then frankly it doesn't matter a damn bit how fast it takes off.

Will be interesting to see if everyone has this what the fatality rate goes up to... :eek:

Ha, I was thinking the same thing, wonder how many t-bones and fender-benders are going to be the cause. I suppose the only thing being this number low is the cost of the vehicle.

If I just wanted the absolute fastest, then I would just strap a rocket to my car. It isn't absolutely about having a sub 3 second car. If you don't have the sounds and smells an IC engine makes at that kind of power, then honestly it is just boring. Sure it's great and all to see electric advancing, but honestly very few give a crap how fast it is. If it can't be charged in the same span of time you can fill a fuel tank, cost roughly the same and have the same range then frankly it doesn't matter a damn bit how fast it takes off.

Because cars started out going over 400 miles a tank....:confused: You have to start somewhere, and the Tesla is much better than that other junk everyone else is coming out with. (100 mile range on most other all electric cars)

Because cars started out going over 400 miles a tank....:confused: You have to start somewhere, and the Tesla is much better than that other junk everyone else is coming out with. (100 mile range on most other all electric cars)

Well aware of that. Which is why I stated it is good to see them advancing. I'm simply pointing out that it being fast is honestly irrelevant though compared to the important things that make a car viable for most people. To put it more succinctly, when they create an electric "honda civic" referring to convenience, price, and range. Then they will have a Viable consumer EV.

note: honda civic in this case is a generic reference to what people expect out of a car to make it sell.

I wonder if I will ever be able to afford a Tesla.

*looks around my money pit house*. Nah.

Well aware of that. Which is why I stated it is good to see them advancing. I'm simply pointing out that it being fast is honestly irrelevant though compared to the important things that make a car viable for most people. To put it more succinctly, when they create an electric "honda civic" referring to convenience, price, and range. Then they will have a Viable consumer EV.

note: honda civic in this case is a generic reference to what people expect out of a car to make it sell.

They'll be getting closer hopefully with the Model 3. It's supposed to be around 30k (before any rebates or reimbursements from the gov for driving an EV); supposed to be directly competing with the Chevy Bolt.

The other vehicles on the market are VERY competitive for the price point that they are competing at. Until we get some serious advances in battery and electric motor technology, there are going to be serious limitations.

I'd love this car for whipping around the city but wouldn't dare to drive it on any kind of road trip. My brothers are all about muscle cars, I'd like to take them for a ride in this sleeper. :D I wouldn't even warn them about 'insane mode', just record their responses as well.

I think hybrids are currently the best blend of technology. Gas range, electric power assist.

Early automobiles (pre-1930) actually got pretty good gas mileage. The Model T got 21 miles to the gallon, which is better than the cars of the 50s, 60s and 70s. There were even some "horseless carriages" that would get as much as 40 mpg

Then again, 40 mpg doesn't mean much with a top speed of 15mph.

Just an ad.. Telsa must be loving this FREE publicity it is getting!!

Anything to cover up this news.. "Tesla founder Elon Musk is divorcing his wife, Talulah Riley, for a second time. Unlike his first divorce from Talulah Riley, Elon Musk did not send out a tweet this time around. Who has time for a healthy marriage when they are focused on the upcoming robot apocalypse."

Just an ad.. Telsa must be loving this FREE publicity it is getting!!

Anything to cover up this news.. "Tesla founder Elon Musk is divorcing his wife, Talulah Riley, for a second time. Unlike his first divorce from Talulah Riley, Elon Musk did not send out a tweet this time around. Who has time for a healthy marriage when they are focused on the upcoming robot apocalypse."

Who cares if someone is getting divorced?

I agree with your comments, especially those about range. Electric cars are still a failure, but it is great to see them working to improve.

What constitutes viable for you? The model x isn't even out yet and the entire first model year is sold out. Do you think BMW sells as many 7 series as honda civics? The model s in this configuration costs more than $100k. I think they are pretty viable.

I loved driving the D. I'm all for the sights, sounds, smells and character of a great ICE but there is no way I could place the P85D in the 'boring' category. I'd take one over any gas car under a 911 GT3.

I agree with your comments, especially those about range. Electric cars are still a failure, but it is great to see them working to improve.

You have an interesting* perspective on failure.

*potentially moronic.

I loved driving the D. I'm all for the sights, sounds, smells and character of a great ICE but there is no way I could place the P85D in the 'boring' category. I'd take one over any gas car under a 911 GT3.

Electric Cars are all low end torque, quick off the line. One hit wonder. I guess with our laws its the only way to feel 'speedy'. But where can you jackrabbit of the line? Not on the highway, not in your neighborhood. In the city on light traffic? sometimes. I'm sure its not 'boring', just less.

Electric Cars are all low end torque, quick off the line. One hit wonder. I guess with our laws its the only way to feel 'speedy'. But where can you jackrabbit of the line? Not on the highway, not in your neighborhood. In the city on light traffic? sometimes. I'm sure its not 'boring', just less.

saying the car is quick off the line fails to put it in perspective. It's a significantly more intense sensation than a 997 Turbo off the line... Really all I can compare it to is the first few seconds after disembarking a perfectly good airplane. The acceleration tapers off like any other large, powerful car however the point and squirt factor at highway speeds is still immense and the acceleration past 100mph is similarly impressive. And after all that it's just a nice car to drive in general.

Why don't you go drive one?

I don't get it, its a very fast car, its electric.. why does it need to be ICE.
Electric cars is what should have been since Edison.. we lost 100years of research into them due to ICE.. we will have to catch up, wont be a matter of choice.

Back