TurboTax's Database Knows Your Secrets

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are a TurboTax user, you'll probably want to read this. :eek:

Intuit (INTU), the company that makes TurboTax, maintains a database containing users’ Social Security numbers, names and other personal data — even for customers using the desktop version of the software who save their files on their own hard drives.

Eh, surprising though? I mean if you e-file you're not sending directly to the IRS, you're sending to Intuit who in turn sends to the IRS. That data is stored somehow, and yeah sure they just keep all the info to themselves. That's why I never e_file as easy as it sounds, unless it goes from point A to point B with no intermediate steps I won't trust whomever is doing the moving.

I don't get people who buy software to do their taxes. Since tax rules change pretty much every year you pretty much have to buy the latest version each year. It's cheaper to just get the taxes professionally done and you don't even have to worry about anything and you are almost guaranteed to get the maximum return if you get a good tax person. They'll also sit down with you and give you tips on things you can do to further improve the return.

I don't get people who buy software to do their taxes. Since tax rules change pretty much every year you pretty much have to buy the latest version each year. It's cheaper to just get the taxes professionally done and you don't even have to worry about anything and you are almost guaranteed to get the maximum return if you get a good tax person. They'll also sit down with you and give you tips on things you can do to further improve the return.

$40 for software to easily do my taxes at my own rate/time
vs
Paying someone $150 to do them,
vs
filling out the forms by hand and hoping you didn't miss anything.

I don't see why someone would pay $150 or more for someone to do their taxes, when they can easily do it themselves with a $40 software package.

Now if all you need is the ez or short form, then you shouldn't need to pay someone or buy the software.

^^ what he said.
Turbo Tax as horrible as the story makes it out, is a nice easy convenient way to do taxes. Now sure maybe someone who doesn't make enough money to fill out anything more than a 1040ez might be wasting money on TurboTax but letting it go through all the math, and deductions, etc is pretty much worth it for me.

cause that $150 could get you more back vs the $40 software route you still have to take your time and do it.

How much is your time worth...

$40 for software to easily do my taxes at my own rate/time
vs
Paying someone $150 to do them,
vs
filling out the forms by hand and hoping you didn't miss anything.

I don't see why someone would pay $150 or more for someone to do their taxes, when they can easily do it themselves with a $40 software package.

Now if all you need is the ez or short form, then you shouldn't need to pay someone or buy the software.

Last I checked the software was more like 70 bucks. My tax person charges me like 35 bucks or something like that. It's one thing to buy the software but you still need to know how to use it. I'm not an accountant. All these forms and knowing where to get them and what to do with them is just way over my head. Accounting is just not my thing.

I drop off all the stuff I get in the mail like my T4, RRSP contribution receipts and a few other things that come in the mail and tax person can do the rest. I've heard too many people who have tried to do their taxes and end up getting screwed. The government salivates at that, they wait like 10 years then make you pay 10 years worth of mistakes and you end up with some ridiculous bill like 20 grand. I'll pay the 35 bucks or w/e just for insurance to ensure that does not happen to me.

Last I checked the software was more like 70 bucks. My tax person charges me like 35 bucks or something like that. It's one thing to buy the software but you still need to know how to use it. I'm not an accountant. All these forms and knowing where to get them and what to do with them is just way over my head. Accounting is just not my thing.

I drop off all the stuff I get in the mail like my T4, RRSP contribution receipts and a few other things that come in the mail and tax person can do the rest. I've heard too many people who have tried to do their taxes and end up getting screwed. The government salivates at that, they wait like 10 years then make you pay 10 years worth of mistakes and you end up with some ridiculous bill like 20 grand. I'll pay the 35 bucks or w/e just for insurance to ensure that does not happen to me.

A tax person that only charges 35 bucks.... I think I trust Turbo tax more. The version I need is only 50. Unless you think you can only buy things for MSRP. Nothing really to know how to use. Check the boxes for the forms you have and bing bang boom.

Around here the only way your getting your taxes done for less than 150 is to do it yourself.

A tax person that only charges 35 bucks.... I think I trust Turbo tax more. The version I need is only 50. Unless you think you can only buy things for MSRP. Nothing really to know how to use. Check the boxes for the forms you have and bing bang boom.

Around here the only way your getting your taxes done for less than 150 is to do it yourself.

I paid $200 for a professional to do mine years ago. I also ran mine through the turbotax software to compare them. Same refund to the penny. You can guess which one I have used since.

You're info including SS number is housed in many, many databases out there. And you're all worried about this one? You can pay a few bucks and get access to all your...or anyone els's personal information including where you work.

I don't waste time worrying about this crap, I made it this far in the digital age, no men in black has ever showed up at my door or anything and this is the same as worrying about when you will die. There are some things in life you just don't waste time worrying and obsessing over all the time. Do what you can do and go on.

I paid $200 for a professional to do mine years ago. I also ran mine through the turbotax software to compare them. Same refund to the penny. You can guess which one I have used since.

I've always been lazy and just dropped them off at some tax shop or CPA. Well it was almost 400 last year so I decided that I should try out something else.... Haven't done anything but poke at the software still waiting for a couple tax forms. (Damn student loans) this looks to be just as easy and 1/8 the cost.

a hack waiting to happen.

I use turbotax every year, but I bet HR BLock does the same shit.

SS# doesn't mean shit these days.

i worked support for Turbo Tax
YES they keep SOME tax date and they do keep your SSN for some thing
the tax data is kept on a secure server audited by the IRS this is needed for E-filing
ALL SOFTWARE THAT LETS YOU E-FILE DOES THIS
your SSN is kept for stuff like the refund and account information and to check on the status off your refund

the efile process works like this

your pc > Turbo Tax efile server > IRS
the efile server send returns in batches to the IRS 2 times a day
again ALL TAX SOFTWARE THAT LETS YOU E-FILE DOES THIS

It is definitely not cheaper to have taxes done professionally. And the last time I did that, not only was it expensive but it was way more time consuming that I thought it would be.

I like turbo tax because when I got my solar panels and the 30% federal tax credit was fairly largish, to the point where I didn't use it all up, so it remembers that data for the next year and the year after etc.

I'm switching to TaxACT. You can import a PDF from TurboTax just fine...
I'm sick of InTuit. I screwed around with Quicken for years - it was buggy, the database corrupted itself, I had to manually reconcile checks, etc. Oh - a new version. I buy it thinking the bugs will be fixed. Nope.
TurboTax - price hikes. Done. Moving on...

a hack waiting to happen.

I use turbotax every year, but I bet HR BLock does the same shit.

SS# doesn't mean shit these days.

I consider my SS# public knowledge. I work with enough vended software and know the horrors of what most companies consider "security"

I'd be far more worried about having my taxes done by anyone who charges 35 dollars.

A good CPA (we have several firms as clients) won't even look at a return for less than 200 and that's for about as basic a filing as possible.

And same as others ,have noted , unless you have some REALLY crazy stuff to deduct and massive amounts of income from different sources , the Turbo Tax regular/deluxe (and other similar software) will get you to the penny what a pro will.

Different story if you run a business with employees.

We've got several clients who run CPA firms , the only people who still come to them for tax filing help are elderly folks , folks with millions , and businesses. Business taxes are a whole different ball game.

Also on the SSN worry , I've seen what many CPA's use for passwords on their laptops that they tote around with all your info.

I'll trust TurboTax anyday.

Turbo Tax Deluxe is currently $40 at Costco after coupon.

The places around here charge well over $35 for the ez form, and I wouldn't trust them to get my order of fries correct, let alone let them do my taxes.

You do realize that you are fully responsible for what's on your tax return, even if you pay someone else to do it for you.

My return is not that complicated (although I need to file the long form). Takes me a couple hours and I know it's correct, and I'm getting back the most I should, the software just makes it easier.

if you don't know what you are doing, and actually have someone you trust that will do it that cheap, the that's probably you best choice.

i worked support for Turbo Tax
YES they keep SOME tax date and they do keep your SSN for some thing
the tax data is kept on a secure server audited by the IRS this is needed for E-filing
ALL SOFTWARE THAT LETS YOU E-FILE DOES THIS
your SSN is kept for stuff like the refund and account information and to check on the status off your refund

Cause you know the IRS knows how to keep things secure, like every other government agency that has been breached over the years?

cause that $150 could get you more back vs the $40 software route you still have to take your time and do it.

How much is your time worth...

No, I'd get the same back unless the person charging $150 lied on the tax forms, and then I'd likely be hit with penalties and back taxes a few years later.

Proper tax planning should take place all year, not just when you are filing your taxes. If you expect someone you are paying $35 to suddenly figure out how to maximize your deductions, when you've ignored them all year you are dreaming.

I plan ahead of time, and sometimes make changes toward the end of the year to maximize my deductions, so I already know what I need to file my taxes. And no, I'm not an accountant, just an tech trying to stretch my income to support a family.

I think being a sys engineer for going on 17 years in a consulting firm for many different clients has made me desensitized to worrying about something like this.

I've seen how secure law firms , hospitals , accounting firms , and even banks are with their data and their customers data.

TurboTax I'd probably trust more than most.

Bit the same as waiting tables and bartending years ago before becoming an engineer has made me not freak about stories about restaurants. When I hear a friend who's never done either remark horrified about some story that happened in a kitchen at a restaurant , and they say they are never eating at that place/chain again , I let them know they might as well never eat out again , because it's far worse than they think and far more widespread.

How long has this been going on? I have done my taxes with them for years. Well at least whatever they are doing is secure, because i still have my identity. I think.

How long has this been going on? I have done my taxes with them for years. Well at least whatever they are doing is secure, because i still have my identity. I think.

ever since e-filing was started its a by product of that process

I'd be far more worried about having my taxes done by anyone who charges 35 dollars.

It could be a knowledgeable tax person who buys the best software and charges multiple clients $35 / return. End result pays for the software plus he gets to pocket the left over.

It could be a knowledgeable tax person who buys the best software and charges multiple clients $35 / return. End result pays for the software plus he gets to pocket the left over.

Alternatively he could be a guy who buys TurboTax, and uses it to do yours and other's taxes. =D

According to the article:
The database is maintained “in accordance to IRS regulations,”
and that is not a confidence booster. The IRS who lost 30k emails said (Washington Post Article):
At the IRS, employees could keep 500 megabytes of data on the email server. If the mailbox got too big, email would need to be deleted or moved to a local folder on the user's computer.
and local folders on the user's computer weren't backed up. So I absolutely don't think too highly about IRS regulations being secure enough if they couldn't even get local computer HDs backed up daily.

As far as the guy charging $35 to do taxes, I knew a guy that did that exact thing like 10 years back. He charged $50 per return, and all he did was put the data in Turbo Tax, print it out, give it to the person to sign and mail. I was shocked that he actually had a lot of customers.

The TurboTax users who were surprised that Intuit had their SS#s are naive. It even says, during the e-filing process, that the SS# is going to be stored by Intuit.

Well, duh. They store all that info so you can come back year after year and it will auto-populate all the fields for you. I've used TurboTax online since 1998, did H&R Block last year, and will use efile.com this year since I have to file for multiple states and they charge only once for multiple states unlike TT/HRB that charges separately for each state...got sick of all the inflated fees and no specials for a long-time customer.

Most are only free if your income is below $60,000.

TaxACT is free for federal above $60k. IIRC it has no limitation but again, only federal.
I've been using this for free federal for years.
Then I file state and local via free government site services.

I have paid $0 for doing taxes for many years.

Back