UPS Paid The Price For Preparing Too Well For Holiday Rush

HardOCP News

[H] News
Prepared "to well" for the holiday season? That doesn't even make sense. Oh well, I guess we know what is going to happen this holiday season. :D

While they nailed on-time deliveries during the 2014 Christmas season, on less busy days many workers and trucks were left idle. The drop in productivity and the extra expenses for training and overtime dragged UPS’s 2014 preliminary earnings well below forecasts, the company said today, sending its stock down the most in more than eight years.

So next year we can expect them to understaff and push for shitty service and higher profits? Yay...

I couldn't believe how fast I got my BenQ 144hz Z series monitor I wasn't even asking for it before
X-mas but they delivered.....the guy dropping it off looked like he needed a beer....

And yet despite being "to well" prepared they still managed to loose several packages being sent to and from my plant, although they claimed they had all been delivered "although our drivers are to busy to scan everything" so there was no proof (and most showed up a few weeks later.)

Coincidentally, I had the worst UPS service ever this year. While packages made it on time (for the most part), they were beat to shit when they got here :(

Coincidentally, I had the worst UPS service ever this year. While packages made it on time (for the most part), they were beat to shit when they got here :(

When it comes to shipping i have a policy that has worked pretty well. If i'm buying from a company, ups/fedex is fine because usually their packed well enough that it doesn't matter if the box is battered to shit.

All my personal packages though go USPS. They don't mangle my packages and they are usually cheaper.

Prepared "to well" for the holiday season? That doesn't even make sense.
No it doesn't, but you're not the first to screw up homophones... :D
grammarnaziplz.gif

Well it's not hard to "nail on time delivery" when you just claim that everything was delivered even when it wasn't.

damned if they do and damned if they don't. I really feel for them. Karma did not look kindly on UPS despite their actions.

With the huge dip in fuel costs but no dip in shipping costs, I think you'll be just fine.

So next year we can expect them to understaff and push for shitty service and higher profits? Yay...

Yes, because that's what happens when your whole economy is based around a giant Ponzi scheme called the stock market where the only thing that matters is generating money for your investors.

Hmm my FedEx stock has sure done well for me the last year or two...

They're still wasting too much screen real estate with the silly Duplo/Lego blocks Metro/Modern buttons.
Why can't they allow entries 1/2 to 1/3 of the height of those boxes, with the icon on the left-hand side?

*Doc Brown* Forgive the crudity of this model. I didn't have time to sex it up and make it perfectly proportional.

Windows10Bars.png

Seriously. How fucking hard would it be to give us an option like that?

They're still wasting too much screen real estate with the silly Duplo/Lego blocks Metro/Modern buttons.
Why can't they allow entries 1/2 to 1/3 of the height of those boxes, with the icon on the left-hand side?

*Doc Brown* Forgive the crudity of this model. I didn't have time to sex it up and make it perfectly proportional.

Windows10Bars.png

Seriously. How fucking hard would it be to give us an option like that?

One, wrong thread. Two: Did you bother giving this feedback to Microsoft????

during the Holiday's I was receiving Sunday morning deliveries when I ordered stuff on Amazon prime didn't ask or pay extra for it either I was hoping that it was something new they were doing but I've order several things on Friday or Saturday since Christmas and back to being delivered either Monday or Tuesday like usual.

Exactly. Did they remove the fuel surcharge? I have not shipped yet this year.

They're still paying old rates because big companies like this can buy fuel futures, this is why when fuel costs skyrocketed it took a while before the surcharge was added.

That said, I'd love to buy gas futures myself, here's $20k give me a card good for 10k gallons of gas :)

Amazon moved most of their service to the post office. I do not like the post office, so I have started move my purchases to other companies. I may even drop Prime services.

I noticed our shipping at work took a bit of a dip around the holidays. The UPS guys didn't look terribly busy and neither did FedEx. I see them almost every day. I think they diverted some energy from businesses to homes? That's my theory.

They played games with tracking and "delivery." Dropped off pallets of stuff at the Post Office to be delivered the last mile 1-2 days after they claimed it was already delivered. Happened the previous year too, so nothing different really.

I applaud amazon for going the extra mile, but not at the sake of killing your company.

I mean lets be real, if you're buying something for christmas, if you're doing it at the last minute online, don't expect it till like mid-january lik any responsible person would do.

Better buy those gifts months in advance then before UPS says "Well when we staffed for it none of you took advantage so we'll leave it up to the monkeys and chance".

I really hate corporations.

I was wondering why my 401k took a hit :(

I work at UPS. Our peak season was pathetic. Double shifts everyday and all my guys were basically just standing around bored out of their mind. Having 10-15 guys, half of which come from pretty rough neighborhoods with that much idle time is bad news.

Prepared "to well" for the holiday season? That doesn't even make sense. Oh well, I guess we know what is going to happen this holiday season. :D

And yet despite being "to well" prepared they still managed to loose several packages being sent to and from my plant, although they claimed they had all been delivered "although our drivers are to busy to scan everything" so there was no proof (and most showed up a few weeks later.)

I feel like being a grammar nazi today. It's "too well", not "to well". It's "lose", not "loose".

The packages I received from Amazon this past year were mostly sent by UPS Surepost. UPS transfers packages to the local post office for the final delivery. This was done to save money since the post office is already making deliveries to your house anyway. They aren't the only company to do this, either. Also, I think it gives the post office people something to do since they're all worried about losing their jobs because of a lack of mail.

Also, UPS had a HORRIBLE 2013 delivery record, which no one here mentioned. So 2014 was a reaction to that. They were so busy that many packages didn't arrive until well after the holidays. There were many upset people. So it's pretty easy to see why they actually did this in 2014.

Logistics is a massive enterprise and is hard to actually predict. UPS had to makeup for last year. For the long term of the company it was a smart move. One shitty quarter is better than losing business

One, wrong thread. Two: Did you bother giving this feedback to Microsoft????

First off. WTF? I *DID* post this into the Windows 10 thread. How the crap did it end up here? I never even OPENED this particular thread.

Second, yes. I did. Submitted it back when the original preview came out.

Back