Microsoft's HoloLens Uses Unreleased Intel Atom Chip

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The surprise announcement at the Microsoft event this week proved several things; Microsoft still has some tricks up its sleeve, at least one R&D department can keep a secret and the announced HoloLens will be powered by a Cherry Trail Atom chip which has yet to be released by Intel.

Cherry Trail is a successor to Intel's current set of tablet and low-end PC chips code-named Bay Trail. Cherry Trail is smaller, has more features and is faster than Bay Trail, and is able to fit within the curved contours of the HoloLens.

That also means faster, cheaper Windows 8/10 tablets.

That also means faster, cheaper Windows 8/10 tablets.

Faster, maybe better battery life, not cheaper. Intel is selling the current-gen chips at a loss so you can't possibly beat that.

Faster, maybe better battery life, not cheaper. Intel is selling the current-gen chips at a loss so you can't possibly beat that.

They aren't selling at a loss, they make 2.5 billion a quarter!

Which no one will care about.

Funny thing is that people do seem to care about these low priced windows Atom tablets particularly after Microsoft went to a free OEM licensing model. Heck, even Chinese unbranded Android tablet makers are putting Windows 8.1 on Atom devices that were Android from the start. I've had a Toshiba Encore 2 Write Windows 8.1 tablet for a week now. At $400 it is as good or ever slightly better a handwriting/note taking tablet as the Surface Pro 3.

400 dollars for encore 2? Isnt that thing like 200 bucks at most for 10 inch? I was just asking because I bought my mom the 10 inch encore2 for Christmas for under 200 and it is nice. Wouldn't pay more though.

I wish they'd stop reusing CPU names.

Someone says "Check it out, derp, I have a Intel i5, is this fast enough to render video", and then you realize, oh they are talking about a POS six year old 1st gen laptop CPU.

If it had a different marketing name like "I'm running a Intel Raptor" rather than just putting a i5 sticker on the computer, then I could know exactly what they are talking about.

And even better, if Intel had its own hardcore benchmark, you could put a rounded benchmark score next to it. So it'd be the Raptor 1 this generation. Then next generation its the Rapeface 1.8 for midrange and the Rapeface 2.7 for high end. Then next generation its the LOLOCAUST 2.2 for midrange, and instantly I know that while its a new generation its not as fast as last gens top of the line.

400 dollars for encore 2? Isnt that thing like 200 bucks at most for 10 inch? I was just asking because I bought my mom the 10 inch encore2 for Christmas for under 200 and it is nice. Wouldn't pay more though.

A number of differences between the standard Encore 2 and Encore 2 Write. The standard Encore 2 comes with 1 GB of RAM and 32 GB of storage. The Encore 2 Write series doubles those capacities and incorporates Wacom's latest digital pen technology which is impressive, for handwriting at least.

I wish they'd stop reusing CPU names.

Someone says "Check it out, derp, I have a Intel i5, is this fast enough to render video", and then you realize, oh they are talking about a POS six year old 1st gen laptop CPU.

If it had a different marketing name like "I'm running a Intel Raptor" rather than just putting a i5 sticker on the computer, then I could know exactly what they are talking about.

And even better, if Intel had its own hardcore benchmark, you could put a rounded benchmark score next to it. So it'd be the Raptor 1 this generation. Then next generation its the Rapeface 1.8 for midrange and the Rapeface 2.7 for high end. Then next generation its the LOLOCAUST 2.2 for midrange, and instantly I know that while its a new generation its not as fast as last gens top of the line.

I really think Intel should hire you, cause those are some fun sounding and easy to remember chip names

I'm wondering if the holoLens uses its own "hpu", how much power would it have to play games other than minecraft? With my Oculus, the quality depends a lot on how strong your GPU is since the processing is handled there.

I can't see an Intel Atom running Battlefield or Crysis very well.

Back