Microsoft Announces Office 2016, Coming 3Q15

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
With all of the hoopla surrounding Microsoft’s announcements on Thursday mainly concerning Windows 10 and its surprise introduction of HoloLens, the announcement of the latest in the long line of Microsoft flagship cash cow software was lost in the hustle and bustle. Windows Office 16 will be released sometime in the second half of 2015, just in time to match up with Windows 10.

These new Office apps will be pre-installed (for free) on smartphones and small tablets running Windows 10.
MS is having to give it away to stay relevant.

They need more commentators and stuff on all the action going on in these kinds of apps. I'm thinking like sport announcers, slick motion graphic transitions, cheerleaders, horns, bombs... hell throw in some flying froth-mouthed kittens in here and it'll be just right.

in other news: a lot of companies still run office 2003 on windows xp machines.

i actually declined a job offer once because i saw they still had office 2003 in 2012. that version of excel is missing a lot of great features. don't want to work with that.

aand Outlook 2016 looks as ugly as ever. Outlook 2010 was the last best version of Outlook. Outlook 2013 and beyond = ugly, counter-intuitive interface, and not user friendly. At the very least, they should not have removed what is now the "Folder" view from the Mail view where you would have folder icons next to folders and indentation markers to indicate when folders are a sub-folder of another folder.

in other news: a lot of companies still run office 2003 on windows xp machines.

i actually declined a job offer once because i saw they still had office 2003 in 2012. that version of excel is missing a lot of great features. don't want to work with that.

Couldn't you have included a stipulation of an upgrade in your acceptance?

Looks very good to me. Wish I was getting that on my Surface 2 but it does not look like it is going to happen. Oh well, it still has a fully working Office 2013 on it.

Should have expected it. Now I'll also have to test out & train people on a new version of office.

Why is there a gigantic colored stripe on everything.

aand Outlook 2016 looks as ugly as ever. Outlook 2010 was the last best version of Outlook. Outlook 2013 and beyond = ugly, counter-intuitive interface, and not user friendly. At the very least, they should not have removed what is now the "Folder" view from the Mail view where you would have folder icons next to folders and indentation markers to indicate when folders are a sub-folder of another folder.

I like 2010 the best also. The UI theme is a lot better on the eyes than the crappy 2013 color scheme design. Hope 2016 goes back to the 2010 UI style. 2013 was a step backwards.

More Cloud, more Bing, more touch.

I'm sorry I just sit at a desktop computer with a non touch screen, I do not need to use bing to write and I do not want MS Onecloud.

I'm guessing Office 17 will have Cortana.

Last time I updated Office was to have proper .docx support, as Office has been able to write and screw up documents for me for more than a decade.
Had it not been for OS/document support, I'd probably still be rocking Office 2000 or something like that.

it looks super "minimalistic" at the top and overall.. but looks interesting none the less.
Might consider getting the Office 365 that comes with our cell/broadband provider for the "family" package

"da-da" this and "da-da" that xD
and then ending it with:
"consistent formatting across my dick..."

Is this an full screen app only? I like the look of it, but full screen on a desktop with any large screen is just plain stupid.

Is this an full screen app only? I like the look of it, but full screen on a desktop with any large screen is just plain stupid.

All modern apps can now run windowed in Windows 10. Been playing with the Continuum stuff on my Surface Pro 3 with the latest build and it's actually a very straightforward but effective idea. In desktop mode everything runs in free floating resizable windows as is the normal desktop metaphor. In tablet mode, all apps, including desktop apps run in full screen mode with the ability to do side-by-side snapping like Windows 8.

MS is having to give it away to stay relevant.
The Office Mobile apps are free, the full desktop suite is not. They're giving away reduced-functionality and touch-friendly versions for free, not the premier product.

Also, Microsoft's Office division isn't struggling in any way. They're giving away what they feel is strategic to give-away.

The Office Mobile apps are free, the full desktop suite is not. They're giving away reduced-functionality and touch-friendly versions for free, not the premier product.

Also, Microsoft's Office division isn't struggling in any way. They're giving away what they feel is strategic to give-away.

Like anything else has been anywhere near as relevant as Microsoft Office in that space. I think the reason a lot of anti-Microsoft folks are having aneurysms over things like free Office and Windows upgrades is simple. If Microsoft is being forced to do what it's doing with Windows and Office, think of the competition? Once alternatives lose the advantage of being free they lose a key argument for any advantages they might offer. You can make the case of security and stability but you crushed on features and 3rd party support. And 3rd party support is what makes platforms successful from a market share perspective. Without great 3rd party support you have nothing. Like Windows Phone.

Like Windows Phone.
As someone who's been using Windows Phone since 2009... haven't really had too many run-ins with the so-called "app gap"

I think the only one that really miffed me was the lack of a Wells Fargo app, but they finally got on-board last year.

As someone who's been using Windows Phone since 2009... haven't really had too many run-ins with the so-called "app gap"

I think the only one that really miffed me was the lack of a Wells Fargo app, but they finally got on-board last year.

I am a Windows Phone guy myself. But as I've said more than a lot, an platform is only as good as it's 3rd party support and Windows Phone just doesn't have enough at this point. Not that the Windows Phone isn't good or capable but it doesn't get the attention of iOS and Android because of it's small market share.

I don't seen Windows 10 have much of an impact on phones. I do think that it will have impact on tablets, indeed Windows 8.x seems to have done no so bad there once Windows went to a free model. Mobile clients are going to tough for Microsoft probably forever. But there will be things beyond phones and tablets. We'll see if Microsoft catches on to one of those things. The Hololens is certainly a sign that that they have the capacity to do so.

I don't seen Windows 10 have much of an impact on phones.
That depends... Universal Apps run on both Windows 10 and Windows 10 for Phones.

As of Windows 10, a universal app can run on the desktop, in a window, and have a scalable UI... so there's nothing really stopping developers from switching from Win32 to universal apps as far as user experience is concerned. And that's just a few minutes of work away from having a phone-friendly version of the same application.

Promoting Universal Apps for Windows 10 automatically bolsters the Windows 10 for Phones app catalog.

Promoting Universal Apps for Windows 10 automatically bolsters the Windows 10 for Phones app catalog.

I'm a huge Windows guy but I don't chase windmills either. I think universal apps will play a key role in the future of Windows, if the devices are there.

Back