Windows 10 Will Be On The Xbox One

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Windows 10 will be making its way to the Xbox One. From the way the article makes it sound, it is going to be more than just a Win 8 to Win 10 kernel update. Thanks to OEM for the heads up on this one.

"One of the monthly updates that you'll get on [Xbox One] is gonna change from the Windows 8 kernel that's in there now to the Windows 10 kernel," Microsoft Xbox lead Phil Spencer said during a group interview in Redmond, Washington, yesterday. "I know a lot of people are excited about things like Cortana and other features they see on Windows 10. Obviously getting on the Windows 10 kernel -- well, it's not really the kernel -- but Windows 10 OS inside of Xbox One is an important first step to unlock a lot of what [Microsoft's Joe Belfiore] showed."

Maybe it will fix the XBOX One's horrible graphics performance. DirectX 12 is supposed to come with Windows 10 and if you watched the demo video that Microsoft put on, DirectX 12 is supposed to be far better than DirectX 11 in terms of graphics performance.

I doubt any of the xbox consoles even need DX, and aren't basically exposed to the metal (for "tier one: developers).

Maybe it will fix the XBOX One's horrible graphics performance. DirectX 12 is supposed to come with Windows 10 and if you watched the demo video that Microsoft put on, DirectX 12 is supposed to be far better than DirectX 11 in terms of graphics performance.

Call me a skeptic, but I don't see how graphics API changes can offer the performance increases they're claiming without also including faster hardware. There's a limit to what the silicone can do (in GPUs _and_ implants even).

Call me a skeptic, but I don't see how graphics API changes can offer the performance increases they're claiming without also including faster hardware. There's a limit to what the silicone can do (in GPUs _and_ implants even).
It probably will not help a lot, but DX12 allows more direct control of the hardware, so it should at least let developers tweak it more. Every little thing helps.

This cross-platform Windows 10 strategy may just be crazy enough to work... something I'm not predicting. ;)

will it mean I can play xb1 games on a pc with w10? that is what i want... being able to play console games on a pc.

LOL, they couldn't possibly be trying a hybrid console-desktop OS. That'd make about as much sense as a hybrid tablet-desktop OS, which would just be hilarious.

will it mean I can play xb1 games on a pc with w10? that is what i want... being able to play console games on a pc.

Apparently you will be able to stream games from the Xbox1. That's as far as it will go.

LOL, they couldn't possibly be trying a hybrid console-desktop OS. That'd make about as much sense as a hybrid tablet-desktop OS, which would just be hilarious.

The xbone OS is already much like Win8, so it would be a hybrid tablet-console OS.

Huhhhhmmmm interesting

If I owned an entertainment center, I might actually get an Xbox One if it touted some of the cool features of Windows 10

This cross-platform Windows 10 strategy may just be crazy enough to work... something I'm not predicting. ;)

But isn't this what the pundits and critics have been saying for years? Too much infighting and lack of product consistency and integration? A common platform for all that Microsoft does isn't crazy, it's practical.

You know what they say... jack of all trades master of none... I kind of felt this way with Win8, I'm getting this same feeling with Win10. Hurray it works for all platforms... just kind of mediocre on all platforms.

I'm not excited...not in the least.

Let me elaborate.

Win 10 Looks like a significant improvement over win 8 in every way that matters to me. The elimination of the full screen tiled UI is a huge step. I don't particularly like it attached to the start menu how it is, but so far in the preview I can mostly eliminate it and I'm rarely in the start menu so I can live with it. I would "Prefer" to be able to abolish tiles completely, but mostly is better than what 8 gave us. That said, I am utterly opposed to this continued push of the same OS across all their platforms. It didn't work in 8, It hasn't ever worked with any program or OS ever and it isn't going to work for 10 either. At the end of the day for this to happen things have to be compromised and without fail the compromise happens on the desktop. So desktop users are still going to be forced to deal with stupid quirks in their environment because MS has a giant hard on for "One OS to rule them all".

Windows 10 for non mobile/touch devices.
Windows 10 Mobile
Xbox..I really don't gaf, it doesn't need windows. It's a fucking console.

What is so fucking hard about that? It isn't confusing, it can largely be the same kernel and back end and this way you don't have to make dumb compromises. Seriously I'll be glad when someone not insane gets in charge over there. A Unified OS/UI has never worked on any platform for a laundry list of reasons. Why suddenly MS thinks they are special.

If I read the article correctly 1st party titles i.e. Fable, Halo, Gears of War and Forza will be released on the PC but that's as far as it goes.

One OS to rule them all :)

Note Xbox 1 is a PC, they aren't just console's anymore so yes they could take a desktop style OS as long as the GUI is done well..

But this would be wise, imagine the resources you could now consolidate to work with 1 core OS vs several variations..

I'm sure they'll find a highly inventive and original manner in which to fuck it all up.

Valve can't too happy about all this.

How so, specifically, does new marketing speak - same as the old marketing speak - about "Windows" running on Xbox impact Valve?

It's still a closed, locked down lite console OS, so what it runs behind those closed doors is inconsequential except for rah-rah "unified OS" speak. Same playbook as Win8 repeating for Win10. "Xbox One is really just Windows 8 herp deep!" with no practical purpose.

What in the world are you talking about? The XB1 games look damn good, but then again you probably only read white paper instead of actually playing.

Valve can't too happy about all this.

Good. Tell them to get their asses back to the kitchen and do us some fan service by finishing the Half Life series for those of who have been waiting for a very long time.

Spence already admitted the distilled version of DX12 that will run on Xbox won't matter much for performance on there, since the optimized "DX11" on Xbox is already closed to the metal.

The place where DX12 will shine will be on low-end GPU's and iGPU's on Windows PC's, not so much on the high end of GPU's.

Of course not, your CPU and GPU might be (far) superior, but no PC has a current console's amount of memory available to the GPU (as it's shared), in that respect the architecture is totally different, so no XBONE game would be able to run directly on a PC without some reprogramming.

It won't, the variant of Direct3D on the Xbox already matches DX12 when it comes to CPU overhead concerns as the API talks directly to the hardware without a driver in between, that's where the advantage is with a fixed hardware configuration.

Okay, first of all, the Xbox One can't even run its own UI smoothly.

Hey Steve, thank you for the heads up here as well! :D I appreciate the time you take to give us forum members the information I know that I appreciate. I love my Xbox one and any improvements that are made is all right in my book.

The UI runs very smoothly, the games play great and I am on the preview program and love it. :D So far, the only issue I have had is the Netflix app which needs some improvements. (Could be the preview program that I am on causes issues though.) Love the voice commands as well.

I love technology and seem to be more of a realist then most. I do not expect perfection on everything I own all at once. Things happens, improvements occur and as long as problems are fixed in a timely manner, I am good with that.

Cool, its nice to see that windows 10 can run on really low end hardware.

Cool, its nice to see that windows 10 can run on really low end hardware.

Yep, it is great to see games run better on this Generation of Consoles than the last in a big way. Put the game in, play, have fun and be amazed at how well the game plays. (Right now, I am playing Dragon Age: Inquisition and it is fun, plays great and looks fantastic.)

Definitely not more expensive than my PC but then again, having a $450 video card at purchase time does make a difference. Love being able to play games on the 360 as well. :D

Maybe it will fix the XBOX One's horrible graphics performance.

The Xb1 already uses a more "down to the metal" version of directx, the sdks updates atm are just streamlining the use of the embedded memory.

The rest of the performance is just through the known hardware it has which is equivalent to a 7790 more or less.

But isn't this what the pundits and critics have been saying for years? Too much infighting and lack of product consistency and integration? A common platform for all that Microsoft does isn't crazy, it's practical.

And while I'm sure Nadella will get all the credit, I suspect this was in the works back when Ballmer was CEO.

You know what they say... jack of all trades master of none... I kind of felt this way with Win8, I'm getting this same feeling with Win10. Hurray it works for all platforms... just kind of mediocre on all platforms.

You can put any number of GUIs over Linux, is there a reason they can't do the same with Windows? I don't know if they'll pull this off, but this is really 3rd or 4th iteration of this idea, and eventually I think they'll nail it.

8.1 isn't perfect, but if you want to live in a 7 like world you can. I know, because, for now, that's what I'm doing. If MS can pull off having your desktop preferences move to your tablet or to your XBone (if you want it), it could be a very useful system. Maybe you'll always stick with the desktop. But maybe by way of the Xbone or a tablet/hybrid or phone (unlikely as the latter is) you'll use that UI and decide you wantit on your desktop. I certainly think that in 3 years most laptops will have a touch screen. I'm less convinced on the desktop (unless monitors are embedded in your desk).

Not really, having the Xbox one OS unique as far as what is does is very important. It will not change so significantly that the games would not work and the OS structure would no longer be the same. The Virtual machines that are running are critical to how the multitasking works and it does work well, as long as you are not on the preview program.

I enjoy my Xbox One and love what they have done with it so far. Having more apps available on it will only make it better.

And while I'm sure Nadella will get all the credit, I suspect this was in the works back when Ballmer was CEO.

I agree, I think towards the end of his tenure as CEO, Ballmer was finally addressing the major issues that Microsoft has. Unfortunately for him he's only going to get all of the blame and little credit. Clearly he was the one that started the work on Hololens, and that has the potential to be huge. If it's technically sound when released it should be a pretty good seller and attract a lot of developer attention.

I agree, I think towards the end of his tenure as CEO, Ballmer was finally addressing the major issues that Microsoft has. Unfortunately for him he's only going to get all of the blame and little credit. Clearly he was the one that started the work on Hololens, and that has the potential to be huge. If it's technically sound when released it should be a pretty good seller and attract a lot of developer attention.

And the bold sentence is the key to it all. If it's not ready, they have to delay. Although I'll forever be critical of what MS did with Chicago, which they said would be out in '94 (strictly to prevent OS/2 adoption), even though I knew beta testers who said there was no way it'd be ready that year (and I think at one point they'd said it'd be out in June of 94), the bottom line is if it's not right, don't release it. The upgrade is free, so there's not a rush, so long as the machines in the fall are built for whatever the 10 OS becomes.

Back