Google Discloses Three Severe Vulnerabilities In Apple OS X

HardOCP News

[H] News
Not content with just pissing off Microsoft, Google is now doing its best to get on Apple's nerves as well. :)

Google's Project Zero security team have revealed the existence of three zero-day vulnerabilities found in Apple's OS X, following the disclosure of flaws in Microsoft's Windows operating system. Over the past several days, the tech giant's Project Zero scheme has released details concerning three OS X security issues the team have dubbed severe.

I'm curious as to rather this requires an attacker to have root access, or just an account on your system.

Tim Cook has been jabbing Google for its data collecting habits. Payback.

Apple CEO Tim Cook has given us perhaps the most important — and possibly most interesting — statement on individual privacy he's ever made.

And he used it to criticize Google and Amazon, without actually naming them.

He said he was "offended" by the way they conduct business, which is basically by mining your personal information and credit card data.

The biggest change the internet age has pushed onto society is the erosion of privacy, and the increase in the ability of governments and private companies to conduct surveillance on private citizens, often with those citizens' willing cooperation. An entire generation has grown up, post 2000, that will never know what it was like to live in an era (roughly pre-1995) when most people's lives were conducted in complete anonymity — because the tech just wasn't there to record what we were doing.

"I’m offended by lots of it."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/tim-...e-and-amazon-do-business-2014-9#ixzz3PfG9iy3F

Nah, more likely Google has self-appointed itself as the internet police.

Tim Cook has been jabbing Google for its data collecting habits. Payback.

Yeah, but that jab doesn't make much sense. Sure Google scans your data to collect aggregated habit and interest information for highly accurate advertising, but it's not as if they hold on to all the detailed pieces of it, or make it part of the public domain so everything about you is public... (In fact they have a vested interest against this, as it would scare people off, and it would be giving away their biggest source of revenue for free :p )

The biggest threat to anonymity comes from other sources, like social media, where the human predisposition to narcissism has proven to be too much for us to resist, and we willingly share everything regardless of privacy concerns. "For gods sake everyone, this is me! Please please please please like me!" :rolleyes:

And of course, this is all exacerbated by the damned millenials having been indoctrinated by their parents that they are "special".

Nah, more likely Google has self-appointed itself as the internet police.

...and I applaud them for it. The more quickly 0 day and other exploits are found and patched, the better for everyone!

Meanwhile Chrome continues to leak memory like a sieve.

What're you talking about? Chrome, with just this one tab open, is "only" using 140MB of RAM! :D

I'm not convinced there are ant leaks at play.

Their "every tab in its own thread" design approach requires more memory, but in exchange it is more stable and a little bit more responsive (as long as you have enough ram)

Besides, 140 megs is a drop in the bucket these days.

There was just a hot deals thread with $80 16GB kits :p

I have 48GB in my desktop. I just popped the ram in because I had it left over from another project. Don't really need it.

Chromes memory use wouldn't pose a problem on any modern system with a modern amount of RAM.

Sounds bad for apple users. Unlike Microsoft that tends to patch these with a few weeks of being outer, apple takes months.

Holy cow. Looked into the leak. Folks are getting over 3GB used with one tab!? I thought 140MB was bad.

Yeah, the 3GB thing is obviously a problem.

I did some reading on it. Appears to be a flash issue but not sure.

For some strange reason it does not impact all users (in fact it seems to impact only very few users, and some of them are very vocal). Suggests to me this is some sort of combination corner case problem.

You know, an interraction between chrome, flash plugin, hardware acceleration and a certain video card driver, or something like that.

For what it's worth, I use Chrome on my desktop at home in both Linux and Win7 and have never seen the problem. I have chrome portable on my work laptop and have never seen the problem and my SO has it on her Mac and has never seen the problem.

Google needs to look to its own software...;) Google is mostly fluff...that seems more apparent every day. The company likes to make a lot of noise about...products it knows it will never manufacture (self-driving cars, Google glass, robots, etc.) and the software made by other companies, even...! The company is an unfunny joke of sorts...

Zarathustra[H];1041380070 said:
Yeah, the 3GB thing is obviously a problem.

I did some reading on it. Appears to be a flash issue but not sure.

For some strange reason it does not impact all users (in fact it seems to impact only very few users, and some of them are very vocal). Suggests to me this is some sort of combination corner case problem.

You know, an interraction between chrome, flash plugin, hardware acceleration and a certain video card driver, or something like that.

For what it's worth, I use Chrome on my desktop at home in both Linux and Win7 and have never seen the problem. I have chrome portable on my work laptop and have never seen the problem and my SO has it on her Mac and has never seen the problem.

Example,

I just opened chrome and put it in incognito mode, to make sure none of my plugins were messing with shit.

Opened 5 tabs including Facebook, Youtube, Gmail and Google Docs (as people suggested these apps caused issues) I also have a hardforum window open.

Adding up all the ram use from all the chrome.exe instances, I hit 650MB, or about 130MB per tab, which really isn't unreasonable.
It is steady there, there are no growing leaks, and if I close any of the tabs, there is a drop in ram use.

Chrome may use a lot of RAM from a historical perspective, but this is 2015. RAM is dirt cheap, and there is no reason for anyone to have less than 8GB in a new machine. I certainly wouldn't build one without 16.

The 3GB issue some are reporting is obviously a problem, but judging from the fact that it only affects a small percentage of users, it is unclear what is actually causing it. From the description it appears to be Chrome + flash + something else that in combination causes a problem.

As much as I appreciate Google being a 3rd party holding Apple and MS accountable, this is going to bite them in the ass hard when Apple and MS start doing the same thing to them and making them look like huge hypocrites.

If Google continue to be little bitches like this, all they are doing is making themselves look bad.

They have appointed a team of people to find issues in other system.... how about appoint that team to work on the many many issues with Google..... just a thought Google....

If Google continue to be little bitches like this, all they are doing is making themselves look bad.

They have appointed a team of people to find issues in other system.... how about appoint that team to work on the many many issues with Google..... just a thought Google....

Well, how do we know that isn't what they are doing?

They give other companies 90 days to respond, and if they don't they make it public. Maybe they are finding their own issues and resolving them before 90 days?

I know very little about the team behind this, but judging solely from their name (Project 0), their focus seems to be strictly on 0 day exploits, so it isn't quite fair to bring up other issues (like a suspected memory leak in Chrome) and ask why they aren't working on that.

Presumably Project 0 is a team made up of people with security expertise. (which is a very different skill set from typical software development and bug fixes) I can't imagine that Google created the team simply to pick on other companies. I imagine they are working on Google products as well, but when they come across something outside of their control, they report it. And if you know of a serious vulnerability that a company is not taking seriously, the only responsible thing is to release it, so that they will.

The ZDNet reporter says "the team dubbed these as severe", when that wasn't the case. The severity rating was High, but that's likely based on the CVSSv2 score. With a local privilege escalation exploit like this, the most you'll see for a CVSS v2 base is 7.2.

It's probably a good idea to click through to the source on stuff from ZDNet. Especially if it's written by SJV.

Back