Apple Watch Has A 2.5 Hour Battery Life?

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this report, Apple is less than pleased with the battery life of the iWatch in its current state.

Apple initially wanted the Apple Watch battery to provide roughly one full day of usage, mixing a comparatively small amount of active use with a larger amount of passive use. As of 2014, Apple wanted the Watch to provide roughly 2.5 to 4 hours of active application use versus 19 hours of combined active/passive use, 3 days of pure standby time, or 4 days if left in a sleeping mode.

Not as "less than pleased" as the people crazy enough to buy one will be I expect.

Apple has also been stress-testing the Apple Watch’s battery life with pre-bundled and third-party applications. Our sources say that Apple is targeting 2.5 hours of “heavy” application use, such as processor-intensive gameplay, or 3.5 hours of standard app use. Interestingly, Apple expects to see better battery life when using the Watch’s fitness tracking software, which is targeted for nearly 4 hours of straight exercise tracking on a single charge.

That's pretty much expected and an unusual usage pattern. What knee-jerk critics are forgetting is that other smart watches are simple devices meant to tether to more capable devices. 3.5 hours of standard app use and 2.5 hours of "heavy: gaming isn't too horrible given the battery limitation. It just shows it's not really a usable product for certain kinds of users.

Recharging pretty much every day with light usage sucks though.

Who actively uses their watch for hours a day? I've had smart watches before. I controlled music, sent the odd SMS using dictation, accepted or rejected calls, and checked email headers on occasion. There's no way I racked up much more than an hour of daily active, on-screen use on the watches, after the novelty, experienced in the first couple of days, wore off.

Google Glass has about 40 minutes of active application use, so it looks like wearable technology is moving forward :p

Apple Watch was dead to me once it was confirmed that it isn't waterproof :(

My Moto 360 works all day, and I can flick my wrist for the display to light up no issue. And using facer, I have probably 25 watch faces to use.

I'm thrilled Apple hasn't been able to compete in battery area. I guess a slower, smaller, older CPU was a good idea. :)

pfff, Apple Watch, what a joke.
We need something like this:

1082_things-youd-want-working-pipboy-3000.jpg

My Moto 360 works all day, and I can flick my wrist for the display to light up no issue. And using facer, I have probably 25 watch faces to use.

I'm thrilled Apple hasn't been able to compete in battery area. I guess a slower, smaller, older CPU was a good idea. :)

Yeah, I was tempted with the 360 over Christmas since Costco had them.

I played with the Asus one (I think it was Asus), that was a very nice watch as well.

I'm still rocking my Vivosmart though, as that gets 4-5days of battery and works for what I need - viewing time, tracking fitness, and displaying texts/emails.

Who actively uses their watch for hours a day? I've had smart watches before. I controlled music, sent the odd SMS using dictation, accepted or rejected calls, and checked email headers on occasion. There's no way I racked up much more than an hour of daily active, on-screen use on the watches, after the novelty, experienced in the first couple of days, wore off.

This.... I'm no apple fan, but the battery life quoted is more than sufficient even for the heaviest daily users on this device. I actually think it will do (and work) quite well.

so does the Apple watch. Its 2.5-4 hours of sitting there and doing stuff on the watch, which is insane, anyone that stares at their watch for that long each day will go blind in a week. The Apple watch does no worse than any other smart watch in terms of battery.

I imagine most heavy users will only "use" their watch for like 30 minutes a day. 3 hours is more than anyone will ever need several times over, what really matters is how much power it uses when in standby.

My fitbit charge tracks all that health shit -- AND tells me who's calling via vibration and display... the battery lasts between 5 and 7 days between charges.

Until I can get that level of charge out of a device, I quite frankly, don't give a fuck. It really is amazing being able to slap a device on and not have to worry about it ALL WEEK in terms of power.

Part of me wants to say that this is pathetic but the other part thinks "who the hell is going to stare at a watch, continuously, for 2.5 hours?"

We'll see but the watch is ugly as hell and I'm not sure I would even use it to its full potential to warrant the cost.

During my somewhat normal 8 hour work day, my Samsung Gear 2 lasts about 2.5 days, when i'm home I just leave it sit unplugged. So in reality is unplugged for 2.5 days before it needs a recharge.

I got 10 days standby (10 days, 1 hour) on my Moto Actv. 4 days sleep is terrible.

If the advertised time is 2.5 hours, it's gonna be like 90 minutes ...

If the advertised time is 2.5 hours, it's gonna be like 90 minutes ...

Apple doesn't pull that BS. What they claim is usually what you get in the battery department. You gotta give them that.

Part of me wants to say that this is pathetic but the other part thinks "who the hell is going to stare at a watch, continuously, for 2.5 hours?"

I'm sure they said the same thing when the first smartphones started to come out.

IMHO I fail to see the benefit of these given the prices and lack of useful functionality. For the cost of these one can have a really nice mechanical watch that will not fall out of technological fashion and would be a better investment. Heck, for the price of these watches you can almost buy out a mid range smartphone.

Wait, are they kidding or serious? My Microsoft Bands gets more than that but I do not charge it every day anyways. (I use it for running, sleeping and other daily interactions.)

Back