Estimating The Desolation Of Google's Social Media Ghost-Town

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wait, you're saying that nobody uses Google+? I thought all the cool kids were using Google+. ;)

Google won't dish detailed stats on G+ adoption, but Dredmorbius used Google's own sitemap, published to aid crawlers in spidering its service, to analyze a theoretically representative sample of G+ profiles and to show that the service has extremely poor uptake and adoption.

The metering used is a bit 'facebookish'. Everything surveyed had to do with public 'over sharing' actions.

They focused on:
  • Publicly Posted Content
  • Profile Photo Changes
  • Public Posts

And this, is all focused on Profiles. No mention of Communities where most of the Google+ (In My Experience) interaction happens.

While they do point out that private, for obvious reasons, activity was not monitored; I feel this is where a lot of Google+ activity happens.

Nearly all my posts on Facebook are public (look at the article I liked) type posts. Everytime I post on Google+ it is 'private' as in you select the people you want to send it to (rather than pre-established lists like Facebook, but Google+ can do that too).

The family likes that, they have no profile information, they don't post anything publicly.

Further up is the integration with Photos. On Facebook you upload and they down convert for sharing. On Google+ family (such as the photographers) can download the original image.

I'm not saying Google+ is as popular or used as Facebook, but to call it a ghost town is just click bait.

Merge spotify with google+ millions of users overnight, and hey I don't think it will be as much as Facebook's 19B what'sever app.

I don't understand how I have nearly a million views on my profile when I don't even use it.

Yeah that place is just about as bad as the Zune.
Hold on a minute I loved that device!

G+ Users may not always go off posting public and like stated before community posts too. You are also no longer forced to use your real name or have an account if you have another type of Google account.

It's not a super trendy place but I wonder why places keep making articles about how much it's going to fail, just let it go if it is.

There are a few things I wish they'd do like take more features from Livejournal like voice posts. Also undo the changes to nearby - let me explain.

Nearby is a special section where one could make a public post and stamp it with your location via mobile. Then when you go in that section it would pull posts from your nearby location (never were told how big an area that is) I now have a whole new set of friends because of this. Not just people that creepily stand around and look on our devices (Sorry ingress your user base is generally weird), but people I go to events and hang out with.

The change now lets places and people just mention a location and end up in that list. I get a lot of advertisements, the mayor's office, people traveling just talking about something local and so on. That isn't as appealing as sing a post with an actual location (not always fine location)

It's biggest issues are that they were a day late and a dollar short, and then they tried way too hard to force it on users by integrating it with youtube and whatnot

My brother-in-law is an employee of Google and doesn't even use it (at least not in the way it was envisioned).

Back