Google Launching Its Own Phone Service

HardOCP News

[H] News
I could see Google wanting to become a wireless carrier. Why not? They have their hands in everything else.

The new service is expected run on Sprint and T-Mobile’s networks, two people familiar with the product say. Google is expected to reach deals to buy wholesale access to those carriers’ mobile voice and data networks, making it a mobile virtual network operator, or MVNO, they say. Codenamed “Nova,” the project is led by longtime Google executive Nick Fox.

So they're not a carrier, just a leech on 2 crappy networks.

This wreaks of Clear, Boost, etc. etc.

Google will eventually most likely get their own infrastructure once they build a base of customers. Google will take over the world.:cool:

That should stop all those phones with custom roms from escaping the Glorious Google's data mining efforts.

So like every other inexpensive no-contract service? Yeah that's exactly it, and it's a good thing IMO. That $40/month unlimited plan deal needs some competition! :D

You know this is kind of bad and ironic timing. Google should not be doing something that might rub phone carriers the wrong way when MS is making one of the most important moves in history to attack back into the mobile market.

You know this is kind of bad and ironic timing. Google should not be doing something that might rub phone carriers the wrong way when MS is making one of the most important moves in history to attack back into the mobile market.

What move is that??

Protip.

Clear was a distinct, wholly owned carrier that owned the spectrum for WiMax. Sprint owned them before they were spun off, then reabsorbed into Sprint. They were not a 'leech.' If anything, Sprint was leeching from Clear to provide WiMax coverage.

Boost is wholly owned by Sprint. So is Virgin Mobile USA.

Cricket? Wholly owned by AT&T.

The only 'leech' carriers out there would be ones like Ting, Republic, Simple, Tracfone, Net10, etc... where they own no actual towers and are not a prepaid brand for a postpaid company.

It'll be dead within a couple of months after it is deployed. How the fuck is Google going to launch a service when it can't even launch a phone.

It'll be dead within a couple of months after it is deployed. How the fuck is Google going to launch a service when it can't even launch a phone.

Yeah, google sucks at launching/running services. Google Analytics and GMail barely work! :rolleyes:

I will say its interesting because tmobile has the best 4g I'm urban areas but shit everywhere else, sprint has better all around coverage

Assuming I can get a plan that's the same as, or cheaper than, the T-Mobile I have now (taking into account my data needs, of course), I'll be signing up the day it's available to me. First because I'd lay odds that I'll get a better deal, and second because having access to Sprint's system as well as T-Mobile's can only help me on those occasions when I roam outside the Portland metropolitan area (where so far I've found T-Mobile's coverage to be from good to excellent).

In short, "Hurry up, Google. I want to give you my money."

I've had a google phone number and free house phone for over 5 years or so now and I picked a great number. F R E E....what's more is there?

I have T-Mobil now, which works great in Arizona. I'd switch if the price is right. Goggle rocks!

So, Google is going to get into GSM and CDMA concurrently? Either they plan on using only VoLTE, or the next Nexus phone will have a lot going on under the hood

So, Google is going to get into GSM and CDMA concurrently? Either they plan on using only VoLTE, or the next Nexus phone will have a lot going on under the hood

I have a hunch where it's going to play out is with unlimited data, using VoLTE with Hangouts.

It would NOT surprise me if they released devices that were designed to work both on Sprint and T-Mobile.

It's not like they can't make a phone that works on both Sprint and Tmobile. Verizon has been doing just that for some time now: CDMA based LTE phones with full GSM bands.

Call them leaches all you want, if this helps bring premiums down in exchange for unlimited everything, I'm all for it.

If this takes off, anyone with a Google phone service who complains about privacy can go F. T.

What move is that??

The one were MS gives windows 10 away for free and a couple hundred million people become windows store users, this kick starts development for windows store which means the biggest weakness of windows phone the lack of applications, will finally start to see some major progress. This is the first exciting thing to happen to windows phone in years.

Im sure this post has something to do with something.

I know, its complicated and hard to understand. :D It's probably best to just prod at heatlesssun in a Windows 8/8.1/10 thread and not think about it too much.

The one were MS gives windows 10 away for free and a couple hundred million people become windows store users, this kick starts development for windows store which means the biggest weakness of windows phone the lack of applications, will finally start to see some major progress. This is the first exciting thing to happen to windows phone in years.

Thought the tablet apps were separate from phone apps. There's a utility to run Phone apps on a PC, ironically it doesn't run in Window 8's little app sandbox but in the traditional desktop application space.

Thought the tablet apps were separate from phone apps. There's a utility to run Phone apps on a PC, ironically it doesn't run in Window 8's little app sandbox but in the traditional desktop application space.

How many people use that program? not many.

The fundamental problem with windows phone was the new application programming means that MS loses its most powerful advantage its application library for windows. Then with the release of windows 8, developers realized their was no point in developing for metro because that would mean they would have to also develop the program separately for windows desktop to include windows 7, and before users.

With windows 10 going out for free there is a good chance that enough windows 7 users will upgrade that will be less of a problem. The whole point of the discussion on windows 10 is they are unifying the coding so its easy to port between windows phone, xbox and PC

so they are basically doing exactly what Ting is doing since they currently run on sprint and are adding t-mobile next month. It will be interesting to see what kind of prices they come out with.

Yeah, google sucks at launching/running services. Google Analytics and GMail barely work! :rolleyes:

Just because it works, doesn't mean it will be used. Google+ comes to mind.

Only reason I like this is it keeps the failing companies Sprint and T-Mobile shored up to continue pressure on the main players AT&T and Verizon. The difference in performance between the 2 sets of companies where I live is dramatic as is repeated across the country.

Nova, isn't that Spanish for "no go"? Chevy learned the hard way with that car name already!

Back