Why Facebook Parenting Could Easily Backfire

HardOCP News

[H] News
Just so we are clear, we think you should have your ass kicked for making parenting decisions based on feedback from Facebook. Click LIKE if you agree.

Sure, getting advice on how to get a toddler to sleep through the night or how to deal with a fussy eater makes sense and seems relatively harmless. But is there something creepy about picking a baby name based on Internet responses or deciding on a punishment based on the opinions of followers?

How is this shit any different from getting advice from a book or from someone in real life. The real problem is that most people shouldn't have kids.

How is this shit any different from getting advice from a book or from someone in real life. The real problem is that most people shouldn't have kids.
It has the word "Facebook" in it. That means overreaction is automatic.

Depends on your friends list. For some, their friends consist of other parents that may have kids older than yours that went through similar things already.

What I don't get is how it's different than asking friends for baby names or punishments? Is it the fact that it's Facebook, or that you're not face to face to ask? Just the different method of communication? Why is it ok to do so in person but not on Facebook?

Now, I'm not saying set up a poll (spanking, beating, waterboarding, let it go). But, general advice or "what would you do?" stuff is fine. I've asked other parents for advice before.

Oh gee how is consulting Yahoo Answers any different from Wikipedia?

But I say let this thing play out. Since most suggestions will probably involve putting your baby in an oven or washing your face with acid, Darwinism could have found a new best friend.

Yea pretty much summed it up from me. I hate stupidbook as much as anyone but I don't see a reason to focus on that here. As you said the real problem is most people shouldn't be allowed to have kids. Hell most people shouldn't be allowed to own a gerbil.

Back