Google Translate Can Read Street Signs

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is pretty damn impressive if you ask me. :eek:

The Translate app already lets you use camera mode to snap a photo of text and get a translation for it in 36 languages. Now, we’re taking it to the next level and letting you instantly translate text using your camera—so it’s way easier to navigate street signs in the Italian countryside or decide what to order off a Barcelona menu.

Am I missing something? Bing Vision has done instant text overlay when translating with the camera for years.

Broken link...? Don't see the update yet on my phone (android).

This is a great app to scream to everyone that your a tourist even more so than that baseball cap on your head.

Am I missing something? Bing Vision has done instant text overlay when translating with the camera for years.

I think now it is a part of the Translate app in the windows phone store. Very useful since I can't read Chinese.

Google bought Word Lens I believe, so now they're just integrating it into their own Translate app (makes sense).

It is pretty sweet though.

I'd say pretty cool, but not pretty sweet.

I find in practical use, you have to hold Word Lens just right, and words pop in and out of detection, and are sometimes translated, sometimes not.

Cool concept though. Will have to try it in the new translate and see if it has improved.

Zarathustra[H];1041359572 said:
I'd say pretty cool, but not pretty sweet.

I find in practical use, you have to hold Word Lens just right, and words pop in and out of detection, and are sometimes translated, sometimes not.

Cool concept though. Will have to try it in the new translate and see if it has improved.

Just downloaded to give a try this morning, they have introduced a "pause" feture and a scan feature, so you can either pause when the words pop in, or use the scan feature which basically takes a photo first.

Damn, that is smarter than people who drive here in New England. Our robot overlord will be making a move soon, I know it.

Back