AMD Announces First Shipping FreeSync-Enabled Displays At CES

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced the expansion of the FreeSync ecosystem as technology partners including BenQ, LG Electronics, Nixeus, Samsung, and Viewsonic showcased their upcoming commercially available FreeSync1-enabled displays at the 2015 International CES. The unveiling of new FreeSync-enabled displays demonstrates the industry’s commitment to open standards-based technology that enables improved gaming by synchronizing dynamic refresh rates of the displays to the frame rate of AMD Radeon™ R-Series graphics cards and current generation APUs. The result greatly reduces input latency and helps reduce or eliminate visual defects during gaming and video playback. The new displays range in size between 24” to 34”, supporting refresh rates of 30 to 144 Hz, and resolutions of 1080p up to Ultra HD, offering a variety of options for every gamer’s needs and at virtually every price point.

No crap, AMD came up with this tech.. They look so dead lately, I am actually surprised.
Yeah, I am sure it means no money for them, but hey the tech reads like a good idea.

If Intel joins this g-sync is going to be killed overnight...

I can't wait for those monitors. Hopefully price is good.

Nvidia needs to jump on board the VESA-standard train and get rid of G-Sync (or optionally they can just call adaptive vsync G-Sync, just like AMD calls it FreeSync). That is just easier for everyone.

As a side-note, this announcement is somewhat disingenuous because it says "Radeon™ R-Series graphics cards" when they really only mean Radeon R9 290 series and the Radeon R9 285 & R7 260 series. That's more than half the R-series models left as unsupported.

Explain..?
It will turn into fanboi vs fanboi. Muh features will be argued. OMG power draw. Then intel will be drawn into the mix for some reason or another. Talk of AMD failing in some aspect and is going to be bankrupt in 2 days. Then just strait complaining that a new card was not dropped this week and the new one will be graphics card Jesus mixed with El Dorado syndrome.

People just be happy tech is going forward. Look forward and make best with what we got.

Gonna be picking up 1 or 3 of these along with a next gen card or 2.

:)

An open standard that isn't even supported on all of AMD's cards.

The use of the word open standard is also being misused like the word open source.

It being an open standard or not has nothing to do with if all AMD cards support it or not.

If Intel joins this g-sync is going to be killed overnight...
It really depends on how this is implemented. If it's just adaptive-sync as described by VESA standards, Intel will no doubt support it and Nvidia will stubbornly need to follow suit, regardless of whether g-sync has any benefits. However, if these "FreeSync" monitors are a deviation from the VESA's adaptive-sync standard, it's doubtful that either Intel or Nvidia will ever support it. Regardless, as other monitor makers do support the VESA standard, Intel will likely support that adaptive-sync and Nvidia will probably follow it eventually too.

Nvidia needs to jump on board the VESA-standard train and get rid of G-Sync (or optionally they can just call adaptive vsync G-Sync, just like AMD calls it FreeSync). That is just easier for everyone.

As a side-note, this announcement is somewhat disingenuous because it says "Radeon™ R-Series graphics cards" when they really only mean Radeon R9 290 series and the Radeon R9 285 & R7 260 series. That's more than half the R-series models left as unsupported.

Why would nvidia jump on a standard that techinally isn't a standard to do what G-sync does. Yes adaptive sync does allow variable refresh rate of the monitor but even AMD had to make their proprietary software solution for their cards to work in games right. As i said plenty of times Freesync and adaptive sync are not same thing just diff name AMD calls it. Adaptive Sync is the Standard, Free sync is a Proprietary implication of the standard.

I am waiting to see what 3rd party reviews say about how well it works. We know Nvidia's module does have like 768mb ram on it as a buffer, AMD's way has no buffer so would stand to reason that the video card has to store the frame and do work of when its safe to send it to the monitor. So it will be interesting to see if and how that difference could play in to performance and even vram usage.

I hope freesync kicks G-sync's ass. I've been waiting forever for these to become reasonably priced :/

An open standard that isn't even supported on all of AMD's cards.

The use of the word open standard is also being misused like the word open source.

Dotdotdot

Freesync has nothing to do with AMD. Please try again.

Why would nvidia jump on a standard that techinally isn't a standard to do what G-sync does.

Because it will allow display manufacturers to go back to the normal way of building/designing their products is much better than the 6-12+ months of R&D and hand-tuning it takes Nvidia and their partners to release a G-Sync display with a very expensive FPGA.

i wouldn't put much stock in the accuracy of that spec sheet graphic someone made up. i know for a fact that the 34UM67 listed specs are wrong. it's a 3440 x 1440 resolution, 60 Hz IPS (more like VA) screen.

Oh that's somewhat reassuring. 1080 isn't enough but 1440 would be worthy of consideration.

Dotdotdot

Freesync has nothing to do with AMD. Please try again.

Yea you should try again. Freesync is proprietary software solution AMD wrote up that uses adaptive sync spec they got VESA to ratify in the DP spec..

It being an open standard or not has nothing to do with if all AMD cards support it or not.

Adaptive Sync is the Open standard that AMD pushed for with Vesa. Free sync is AMD's proprietary implication of the standard to get a g-sync competing device so Since AMD pushed for it in VESA they both has a lot to do with AMD and lack of support in their cards.

Nvidia is screwed...

Um i doubt that, AMD only has made claims it works and shown via non useable demo's that it works. Wait to see what 3rd party vewiers say about it before can say if is even as good

Um i doubt that, AMD only has made claims it works and shown via non useable demo's that it works. Wait to see what 3rd party vewiers say about it before can say if is even as good

I would assume independent reviews should be showing up any time now.

Ummm... What?
Guess what Nvidia showed off G-Sync with... a very similar non-useable demo.

There have been multiple reports from people that say it looks great and is doing exactly what AMD says it is doing.

implication

youkeepusingthatword.jpg

Implementation would be the word you're looking for.

I think intel should invent their own, because standards and interoperability is for chumps.

Screw both these guys, I wouldn't buy either just on principle. It's one thing to advance/invent new technology on a video card that plugs into the same slot on any given motherboard for example, but a freaking monitor technology that is card/vendor specific? They can both go choke on a betamax tape.

I think intel should invent their own, because standards and interoperability is for chumps.

Screw both these guys, I wouldn't buy either just on principle. It's one thing to advance/invent new technology on a video card that plugs into the same slot on any given motherboard for example, but a freaking monitor technology that is card/vendor specific? They can both go choke on a betamax tape.

Ummmm... AMD pushed the standard through VESA and got 3 major scaler manufacturers to pledge support for it.

Everything is there for anyone else to come up with their own software stack to add to their drivers to make this work in games for their own product. This is simply a case of Nvidia being too high and mighty to gracefully accept facts.

Then a pox upon NV.

And a proportionately smaller pox upon AMD a bit for touting it as something special and other than a standard to muddy the waters.

They need to have one standard or have monitors support both versions.

Back