Americans Still Prefer Landlines at Work

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The Pew Research Center polled the American work place in a new survey recently and came up with some surprising facts on the importance of new technology in the work environment.

Pew found email far outweighed phone technology of any kind in importance, according to more than 1,000 American workers surveyed.

I say one reason has to be if you were issued a work cell phone does that mean you have to answer calls at home when you are not on the clock or when you are on your lunch hour.

I say one reason has to be if you were issued a work cell phone does that mean you have to answer calls at home when you are not on the clock or when you are on your lunch hour.

This ... with a landline I leave my phone behind when I leave the office ... with a cell phone it is assumed I am on 24x7 availability

since I work from home a lot I like using my home phone (VOIP) since I can put it on speaker and it has somewhat better sound than using my mobile ... when I need to use a headset it is easier to find one that works well with a land line style phone than a mobile sometimes

But at the same time, is that extra responsibility worth saving $80 a month by cutting your own cell phone? I know lots of people that use their work phone as a personal phone. If you don't abuse it, you have a low likelihood of being caught.

But at the same time, is that extra responsibility worth saving $80 a month by cutting your own cell phone? I know lots of people that use their work phone as a personal phone. If you don't abuse it, you have a low likelihood of being caught.

Yes, it is worth it... and it only costs $40ish/month not $80. Stop being a sucker by signing a contract and go with an MVNO instead, reap the long term financial rewards.

Here's some reason's it's worth it:
  • As previously mentioned, I don't want tt be on the clock and available 24/7. My time is my time, period.
  • If you're using a company owned device they have a right to copy, search, read, etc it's contents at any time. Sorry, but my personal business is not open for them, I value my privacy.
  • What if you leave (voluntarily or involuntarily), they keep the phone number. It's a pain in the ass to have everyone update their numbers.
  • No choice of device, usually it's what they issue everyone. This isn't always the case, but in the majority of times it is.
  • I could go on....

I think most Americans are confused as to what a landline is. I haven't seen a landline in a business outside mom and pop types in years. Plenty of VoIP phones, but those aren't landlines, those are internet phones. Then again people not understanding the technology yet are using at work doesn't exactly shock me.

At our office we like desk phones cuz a metal and glass building tends to have poor cell reception.

My superior Verizon master race iPhone works in MOST of the building, just one dead spot in one corner. AT&T.. lol. We have micro boosters all over the building.

I hope you're being sarcastic

You seem to have an inability to read. He meant VERIZON MASTER RACE, with iPhone just being the phone he was given. Nice try though.

As for land lines, I don't even think my home phone is an actual land line. That actually sucks for alarm systems since they wouldn't work if there is no power.

I think most Americans are confused as to what a landline is. I haven't seen a landline in a business outside mom and pop types in years. Plenty of VoIP phones, but those aren't landlines, those are internet phones. Then again people not understanding the technology yet are using at work doesn't exactly shock me.

Sometimes language is imprecise. Landline was used to reference the mobility of the device. VOIP can be used with mobile devices so not a clear term to reference semi-stationary voice communication devices or a tethered communication device.

Running a small business. Yea we have a land line but only because it comes with the Internet service. And 1 for a fax. Might as well use them they are free. But we all have business cells.

Multiline capability, conferencing, indoor reliability and ease of use are other primary reasons desk phone is preferred over cellular.

Multiline capability, conferencing, indoor reliability and ease of use are other primary reasons desk phone is preferred over cellular.

Reliability is definitely a key factor ... I have never had a VOIP line or land line drop me in the middle of a call (except when the entire network crashed ... which is rare) ... happens periodically on cell calls (even when I have good coverage)

Most cell phones also still have shit voice quality. I personally maintain a Vonage line and tell everyone to call me on that if they actually want to talk, because the voice quality is at least twice as good. I have it automatically forward to my cell anyway so there is really no loss. The Vonage line costs me about $15/month.

Only issues I run into are people trying to send texts to my vonage number, and others getting my cell number somehow (maybe I had to return their call from my cell or something) and then only calling me on my cell from that point forward regardless of which number I request that they use.

I really don't understand why cellphone voice quality is so bad. Apparently voice still uses the ancient 2G networks :confused: They should just be using VoIP over 3G/4G or similar at this point.

My company is all but completely dropping desk phones and switching to Lync (soon to be Skype for Business). Everyone has a laptop, wired, wireless or LTE modems for connectivity & headsets, so where ever they have their PC setup, they've got a phone.

No, even though we all have webcams in our laptops or on our monitors, virtually no one uses them when calling.

I have a desk phone and soft clients for my laptop and cell that I can use without even having to VPN in first. I like having the flexibility, it's really nice to have.

I really don't understand why cellphone voice quality is so bad. Apparently voice still uses the ancient 2G networks :confused: They should just be using VoIP over 3G/4G or similar at this point.

There's actually some movement here (HD Voice), but it seems to be rolling out pretty slowly, I've seen lots of PR about starting to do it, but no PR about how many calls are using it, or about US networks interconnecting with it, etc.

Since at least three of the USA major carriers (AT&T, Verizon, and TMobile) all offer both land and cell services they may not feel as strong a push to move towards high quality cell voice services (especially since voice tends to be unlimited on cells now where data is more limited and thus a more profitable use of the 3G/4G bandwidth)

Good VoIP phones the voice quality is so much better... Important for business communications.

Can't even get copper phones at home anymore though :| the lines are still ran, but if you buy FiOS they force you to do phone over fiber which is stupid when the copper is right there. Copper always works even without power. Copper has no problems with fax or modems.

Landline would be any phone connected by wire. Phone lines in my office are over a T1 and the phones are wired directly to the phone system. the separate offices are connected over VoIP between the systems, but I'd still call them landlines.

Why haven't we switch to VoIP? Because this is a lot cheaper and it works. The buildings are already wired for phone lines to each cube/office, and the phone equipment is available used for a 1/5 of what it cost when new. New VoIP phones would cost double what I pay for new business phones, plus I'd have to rewire to provide another Ethernet connection in each office/cube.

I have a work phone. No one has my number and it gets shut off I my drawer unless something really important is going on for email. One person gas my personal number.

You don't HAVE to be a sucker. Just have to set the rules sternly with your workplace.

Why haven't we switch to VoIP? Because this is a lot cheaper and it works. The buildings are already wired for phone lines to each cube/office, and the phone equipment is available used for a 1/5 of what it cost when new. New VoIP phones would cost double what I pay for new business phones, plus I'd have to rewire to provide another Ethernet connection in each office/cube.

Most ip phones have a pass through switch on the back.

I have a work phone. No one has my number and it gets shut off I my drawer unless something really important is going on for email. One person gas my personal number.

You don't HAVE to be a sucker. Just have to set the rules sternly with your workplace.

Depends on your level and the workplace ;) ... if I told them I was only available from 7 to 6 on weekdays they would likely suggest that I find other employment since as an exempt employee I have no legal right to make such a restriction on them ... as long as they don't abuse the 24x7 I am okay with having a company phone (it solves more problems than it causes)

Landline would be any phone connected by wire. Phone lines in my office are over a T1 and the phones are wired directly to the phone system. the separate offices are connected over VoIP between the systems, but I'd still call them landlines.

For those of us who have spent time servicing and installing voice systems they aren't considered the same.

Landline = Rj11 Copper systems.

Voip = Anything that goes through a switched and routed network.

Cellular = cellular

Satellite = Satellite.

When I leave "work" I leave my "work phone" there. I am done for the day. When I need to conduct business, I need a reliable and clear connection, no cell phone BS.

You seem to have an inability to read. He meant VERIZON MASTER RACE, with iPhone just being the phone he was given. Nice try though.

As for land lines, I don't even think my home phone is an actual land line. That actually sucks for alarm systems since they wouldn't work if there is no power.

if you have timewarner, they use to come with a battery that gave like 4 hours of uptime after power outage. i dont know what they do now.

I think it just depends on your business and needs. I work for a large enterprise where communication is critical. We have great cell reception in our buildings. All of our larger buildings have repeaters on every floor. We have 3 ISPs for redundancy. Also several UPS's, and generators to keep VOIP available. If all else fails, each building has a couple satellite phones.

I read the title as,

"Americans still prefer landmines to work"

Land lines aren't even land lines any more. Is it the HANDSET that they are in love with?

No reason a USB accessory for your business iPhone can't be a bluetooth old school handset.

Depends on your level and the workplace ;) ... if I told them I was only available from 7 to 6 on weekdays they would likely suggest that I find other employment since as an exempt employee I have no legal right to make such a restriction on them ... as long as they don't abuse the 24x7 I am okay with having a company phone (it solves more problems than it causes)

I am the technical lead for a $80M/yr business...

I am the technical lead for a $80M/yr business...

Every company is different ... I have worked for global multinationals for all my jobs and they do expect you to be available, if they give you a cell ... one of them even changed "work life balance" to "work life effectiveness" since they were honest about not really expecting them to be balanced ;)

Every company is different ... I have worked for global multinationals for all my jobs and they do expect you to be available, if they give you a cell ... one of them even changed "work life balance" to "work life effectiveness" since they were honest about not really expecting them to be balanced ;)

You're completely right. I wrote that last comment half drunk.

I'm working for a company now that is very lenient and I have a niche skill set. Previously I've worked at a P&G plant and it was very different. I found it hilarious most people were single there and had a frat house feel. I've also seen huge differences plant to plant in the same company.

Anywho. I only vote for "land lines" if I don't need a cell phone.

I can only think of a handful of jobs that would require a cellphone. I could see why a landline would be preferred. I would have never taken a cellphone from any past jobs, Civil Engineering.

I have now run my small business from home for the last 6 years using VOIP which also pushes to my cell. I have wondered what we will eventually do when we get an office. But, VOIP has been great and if the power goes out that just gives me reason to take a break. Its also nice pushing to cell so if I do need to take a business call while out I can. Like when I was house hunting and took a call for a new job that I had to go to right then to get it. But the average worker bee? I don't know how important instant communication is constantly.

Now I am wondering what past companies I worked for were using.

These days, the main difference between a VoIP phone, Digital Phone from your cable provider or a regular POTS line, are the different points at which it turns digital.

I somewhat agree, though I make it pretty clear that I don't monitor my work phone at home very often. With that said, we have landlines too, though technically all the work landlines I've had over the last 15 years were SIP phones. Some are better than others. Old Nortel and Cysco phones were rock solid. Some more recent ones have lousy audio. YMMV.

Back