Chaos Hackers: We Can Reproduce Fingerprints from Photos

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Well, so much for biometrics identification, touch readers and crime scene investigations. The Chaos Computer Club announced at their 31st annual convention that the group could now take an ordinary camera photo showing the person’s fingertips and reproduce the fingerprint for their own uses. Chalk another one up for the further erosion of personal information privacy. :(

As VentureBeat points out, this doesn't completely denounce biometrics as a reliable form of security, but it does show a pretty big hole that can be exploited and really only stresses that fingerprint security, Touch ID or otherwise, should only be one layer to your secure digital life.

Hmmm, the government might drop the hammer on this, but good luck. After all, government hates competition.

Retinal images are harder but they are still optical, and finger prints are uber visible with sufficient resolution. That university cafeteria that uses vein patterns in peoples hands is better (hard to pick up in the visible spectrum) but with infra red its still not going to be hard to capture

With the general populace these days seeming to be happy with blurry smartphone photos (serieusly, watch people post blurred pics on facebook and count the 'nice's' ) I wouldn't be too concerned.

You shouldn't be allowed to take photos unless you have a license for it.

those white mickey mouse gloves :D

yes, and the peaceful way of living, too

TdUgehZ.gif

The pictures used to get fingerprints are extreme closeups and with good lighting. To surreptitiously get a fingerprint would require a pretty advanced finger-tracking targeting system with good optics.

The pictures used to get fingerprints are extreme closeups and with good lighting. To surreptitiously get a fingerprint would require a pretty advanced finger-tracking targeting system with good optics.

Nah, I saw this CSI once where they snagged the photo off the reflection in someones eye. If they can do that on TV, real life must be much better.

Colonoscopy biometrics. Hopefully there are no pictures of your colon already on the internet.

That was my thought too. It just seems impractical. The idea that people need to start wearing gloves seems a bit silly.

Besides, other than peoples phones and laptops, biometrics aren't usually the sole way to get into an account, device, or area. In the case of phones and laptops, it's often a better than nothing solution, which is usually the other option people chose.

Every company/agency I have seen use biometrics has used it as a part of a dual factor scheme. Keycard swipe plus hand print is a common example.

I don't use any type of biometric identification...I stick with only passwords. If someone finds out your password, you can change your password. You can't change your fingerprint if someone is able to steal/copy/rebuild that information.

Back