Amazon Signs 10K New Prime Members over Holidays

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Amazon picked up some good pocket change over the holidays by signing up over 10K new Prime members for almost a cool million bucks. It's becoming apparent that raising the subscription rate to Prime had little affect on its membership signups. :cool:

Prime's two-day shipping was likely the big draw for customers -- particularly last-minute shoppers -- but Amazon is also touting other Kindle perks such as e-book and video rentals, and even its one-hour delivery service, Amazon Now, which debuted last week in Manhattan.

Last edited:
Title fail. 10 million new Prime members or 10,000,000 to educate the writer of the article.

Yes but how many of those 10 million are just in it for the free 30 days over the holidays and will cancel when that is up?

I cancelled mine once they raised the price. Still not bad though I just don't use it enough.

At least one.

Make that 2!

Watched a few of the on free streaming movies, realized there's not really much I care about watching... plus the way their website is doesn't exactly make it too easy to find a movie.

Yes but how many of those 10 million are just in it for the free 30 days over the holidays and will cancel when that is up?

Yeah make that 9,999,999, cause I dumped it right after the month was up. Prime is so NOT worth the money. They not only didn't deliver it in 2 days, they didn't even make it by the dates that they guaranteed it to get there by (which was more than 2 days). And no it wasn't just black friday/cyber monday when they missed the target.

Honestly, I find that Prime currently delivers about what I got for free a year or 2 ago. Thoroughly unimpressed, especially when you consider that they're sitting on shipments from non-prime members for up to 3 days before shipping them.

Yeah make that 9,999,999, cause I dumped it right after the month was up. Prime is so NOT worth the money. They not only didn't deliver it in 2 days, they didn't even make it by the dates that they guaranteed it to get there by (which was more than 2 days). And no it wasn't just black friday/cyber monday when they missed the target.

Honestly, I find that Prime currently delivers about what I got for free a year or 2 ago. Thoroughly unimpressed, especially when you consider that they're sitting on shipments from non-prime members for up to 3 days before shipping them.

LOL. I spent over $20k at Amazon last year. Never once did they miss a date, and many times I got my stuff early. And I saved thousands of dollars because of Prime in shipping. I don't have to pay taxes, so I saved thousands in taxes too. It's an awesome deal for people that spend money there.

Just because you can't/don't use it to it's full potential, doesn't mean it's even remotely a bad deal. What you should have said is that it's not a good deal to YOU. See how that works?

I have been a prime member for a number of years now and have had no issues with delivery times.
Quite a few of the shipments actually come the next day.

I ordered a Corsair H80i and Sennheiser 558 headphones with overnight shipping for $9.95 late Thursday night, Corsair arrived today and headphones should be here Monday. Monday is actual the next day since you don't count the weekends.

I have been a prime member for a number of years now and have had no issues with delivery times.

I ordered a Corsair H80i and Sennheiser 558 headphones with overnight shipping for $9.95 late Thursday night, Corsair arrived today and headphones should be here Monday. Monday is actual the next day since you don't count the weekends.

I like how they included the free digital $1 if you order standard...wtf! Prime shipping or free $1 digital monies!...confused :confused:

Ive been a prime member for years, and now I have a Fire TV stick. I now use more of the membership advantages.

If you aren't in a hurry for your items, they give you the digital $1.
shipping is free either way.
usually when I order something, I want it asap.

They also have the unlimited cloud storage for your photos. There software is not the best, but nice to have another backup in the cloud. Not too mention, your Fire device accesses these files.

Zepher, 2 years ago, I often got it next day on the non-prime free shipping. Now they sit on it for 3 days. And I promise you I had 2 or 3 orders arrive later than their "guaranteed" date.

I don't really care, because it was free to me it was the only way to get in on some of the deals on BF/CM, but what I'm getting is worse than what I got with prime trials in the past and about the same as what I'd get for free shipping 2 or 3 years ago.

They're not even shipping 2nd day most of the time. With one exception they weren't shipped 2nd day, they were a nondescript version of UPS. They also use the USPS a lot more now (which is generally 2-3 days).

I'm pretty sure 5 years ago, Amazon would guarantee Xmas delivery if you ordered 3 (maybe 4) days before Christmas. They don't do that to convince you to buy prime. Even flash deals often went to prime customers first. Why? To encourage you to pay them 100 bucks a year to buy from them, which in turn locks you into buying from Amazon.

For me, Prime is definitely worth it. The one point I was considering cancelling it was when they decided to use LaserShip, which is the absolutely worst delivery service out there. For about a 2 month period I received nothing (I typically order things from Amazon about once a week or so). Fortunately, after a lot of complaints, and probably not from me, they went back to UPS.

The one area Amazon is lacking is a terrible video service. Not the quality, but the ease of use. Movies/TV shows you have to pay for are mixed in with ones that are free, and if you want to watch a season, it's not like "Click Here to Watch Breaking Bad", but "Click Here to Watch Breaking Bad Season 3", followed by several more Season 3s (which I honestly don't understand at all) before you get to the season you want.

Back