Sony Threatens To Sue Twitter Over Hacked Email Tweets

HardOCP News

[H] News
How is it that Sony can make the absolute wrong decision on every single thing?

In his letter, which was seen by CNET and authenticated by Twitter, Boies warns his Twitter counterpart that if "stolen information continues to be disseminated by Twitter in any manner," Sony "will have no choice but to hold Twitter responsible for any damage or loss arising from such use or dissemination by Twitter."

Twitter is on the internet, so time to sue the owners of the internet now, too...

Well, this actually raises an interesting question, if private information is stolen and released is it then legal to sources to distribute that information?

If someone steals your medical records and posts them on the internet for all to see, would it then be okay for everyone else to distribute that info as well?

Social media sites should all be sued anyway. All they do is sit there and jack off while profiting off its users, taking no accountability for anything that is posted.

Well, this actually raises an interesting question, if private information is stolen and released is it then legal to sources to distribute that information?

If someone steals your medical records and posts them on the internet for all to see, would it then be okay for everyone else to distribute that info as well?

Ask Jennifer Lawrence.

Ask Jennifer Lawrence.

But that is the problem, when it comes to digital items, if they are unlawfully taken and posted should that mean they are now public domain?

I'm not taking either side, I'm simply asking the question.

With physical goods, if someone steals a tv and gives/sells it to you then you are in possession of stolen property, and if this can be proven not only will the item be taken from you but you can also be charged with receiving/possessing stolen property.

Digital data and/or information in general is different in that it can be "taken" illegally without taking the original item from where ever it is kept, but does that mean that stolen property laws shouldn't apply at all?

I don't think it brings up too much of a legal concern. If someone writes up and unflattering poster and posts it up on a telephone pull or the side of a construction site, I sue that construction site and the hydro-electric power company. Wait a sec, shouldn't I sue the one who made the flyer/poster? :O ... If someone where to take a picture of that flyer with their cellphone, I don't think I'd have grounds to sue the photographer. Even if the photographer showed it to his significant other, family or friends.

I don't think it brings up too much of a legal concern. If someone writes up and unflattering poster and posts it up on a telephone pull or the side of a construction site, I sue that construction site and the hydro-electric power company. Wait a sec, shouldn't I sue the one who made the flyer/poster? :O ... If someone where to take a picture of that flyer with their cellphone, I don't think I'd have grounds to sue the photographer. Even if the photographer showed it to his significant other, family or friends.

While I understand what you are saying I think your analogy doesn't really fit, and instead of the post simply being posted there what would be the reaction if the construction company, and other local business started not only directly people to that flier but also made copies and started handing them out?

Yes ultimately the one responsible for the theft is the one who did it, but what responsibility, if any, does the media companies have to limit the spreading of stolen information?

I don't really know the answer, but as with most things I don't think it's clear cut black and white and instead the real answer lies someone in the grey zone between both sides.

I would say that it is no different than a newspaper reporter being mailed something anonymously and then writing about it. It's in the public domain now. The hackers put it there. Not the people reporting & commenting on it.

Back