The MPAA’s Attempt to Revive SOPA Through A State Attorney General

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google is accusing the Motion Picture Association of America of "trying to censor the internet."

According to The Verge, “at the beginning of this year, the MPAA and six studios … joined together to begin a new campaign” to figure how it could secretly revive SOPA. It “joined together to begin a new campaign” to achieve wholesale site-blocking by “[convincing] state prosecutors to take up the fight against [Google].” The movie studios “budgeted $500,000 a year towards providing legal support”—and the MPAA later sought up to $1.175 million for this campaign.

Don't hear much about the RIAA because technically the music industry lost. Nowadays if you want to listen to music you go on YouTube, Pandora, and etc. Without the ability to convince consumers to spend ungodly amounts of money for some music, many of the industry has resorted to hand outs. Also it's no secret that music quality has dropped.

Now the MPAA is like the early days of RIAA, but it to is failing. But because there's still money to be made and people are still willing to pay, they continue to fight their consumers. Changing laws to suit to their needs. They too are having a hard time. But rather than to at least recognize their mistakes and improve their movies, the industry is convinced that piracy is to blame.

Don't hear much about the RIAA because technically the music industry lost. Also it's no secret that music quality has dropped.

The quality dropped way before the RIAA started suing people.

Of course they eventually found out that suing your customers to try and force them pay for a lousy product doesn't work either.

Now the MPAA is like the early days of RIAA, but it to is failing. But rather than to at least recognize their mistakes and improve their movies, the industry is convinced that piracy is to blame.

Which is why they will eventually fail too.

It's been a few years since I've been to a theater because it's not worth the high ticket cost to get stuck behind someone who talks through the entire movie.
Much nicer to watch it at home, where I can pause it if we want more popcorn or need to take a break. Plus, it's cheaper to buy a Blu-ray on release day than to buy several tickets/popcorn, etc.

While I look forward to the days when movies will be streamed to your living room on day 1, I still enjoy the theater experience on occasion. The secret is going to the right films at the right theaters. Most big blockbuster movies I watch at a Movie Tavern. Where most theaters would cram 300+ people in, Movie Tavern has 100 seats, with food, not just snacks. Reclining leather seats with huge armrests, or 2 person loveseats depending on the movie. It's just a better experience. I go to the traditional theaters when they have the special events. Watch the new Doctor Who special on the IMAX? Sure, I'll pay a couple bucks for that. Trivia and rewards before the show, everyone there's a geek, people dress up, and they shut up during the film. Midnight showings are generally pretty decent too... But they're starting to ruin that with the 7PM "midnight" showings.

I agree that there is nothing fun about going to a movie theater in the age of cell phones. I prefer to just wait and honestly as I've gotten older I've discovered that it is very seldom that I will actually watch a movie more than once anymore so we will typically rent them via our DVR.

I also wish someone would explain to the MPAA that there are about a million work a rounds to any kind of censoring they could have legislated and all it takes is one smart kid to write an app for that. Even pursuing it is a waste of time and money on everyone's part besides just being douchebags that want to put their interests above Americans in general.

Don't hear much about the RIAA because technically the music industry lost. Nowadays if you want to listen to music you go on YouTube, Pandora, and etc. Without the ability to convince consumers to spend ungodly amounts of money for some music, many of the industry has resorted to hand outs. Also it's no secret that music quality has dropped. ...

After watching that video, I'm glad that I gave up on listening to music radio years ago. Sometimes I wonder if I'm missing anything, then I am reminded that I'm not.

SOPA is a bad idea, but these lobbying groups obviously think that suing people is a better investment than paying people to produce something worth buying or reducing the price of admission to make it affordable to go to the theater. I wonder how long it will take them to realize that their business model died and that suing people doesn't generate good will among your prospective customers.

Isn't this connected to the previous article about the leaked SONY emails that said how the MPAA was trying to pay for politicians / AG's?

Don't hear much about the RIAA because technically the music industry lost. Nowadays if you want to listen to music you go on YouTube, Pandora, and etc. Without the ability to convince consumers to spend ungodly amounts of money for some music, many of the industry has resorted to hand outs. Also it's no secret that music quality has dropped.

This video is pretty great. Thanks for the link.

Also it's no secret that music quality has dropped.

I'd much rather listen to those 10 songs over and over on repeat, for eternity, than listen to the douchebag who did that video for 10 seconds. :D

Semi-related: I just got Spotify a week ago and I am completely surprised by how well it works. I got the 3 months for a dollar promo just to host a party with some christmas music (yes I know there are alternatives). I started setting up a playlist afterwards and I've been using it non-stop since then. Good quality, 10x easier than iTunes. Worth paying for.

Back