You Can See Our Holiday Lights From Space

HardOCP News

[H] News
I can actually hear the Team America song in my head as I read this. :D

People love the holidays so much you can see it from space. Data collected by a satellite with a special nighttime sensor found that the glow from our collective light displays brightens many major U.S. cities as much as 50 percent between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day.

Google Earth should do an Xmas version with the aerial photo maps at night...

The colors in this image represent the difference in nighttime brightness of city lights during the holidays. Green areas indicate an increase in brightness, yellow areas were unchanged and red areas had a decrease.

Fake picture is fake, it doesn't look like anything like that from space. Just like the famous picture of "Earth at Night" that's not a real picture of city lights as seen from space.

light pollution is actually a pretty sad thing. the milky way, zodiac light, large and small magellanic cloud and other things visible by the unaided eye are awe inspiring. everybody must at least see the milky way in their lifetime, imo. so turn off those damn lights. noone gives a crap about your 1.21 gigawatts illuminated rudolph the reindeer.

What the hell is a "Holiday Light"?

Do you mean Christman lights?

Sorry someone had to say it.

light pollution is actually a pretty sad thing. the milky way, zodiac light, large and small magellanic cloud and other things visible by the unaided eye are awe inspiring. everybody must at least see the milky way in their lifetime, imo. so turn off those damn lights. noone gives a crap about your 1.21 gigawatts illuminated rudolph the reindeer.

Eh... kind of sorta disagree. I will agree truly dark skies are a wonder to behold, but the Milky Way is not really all that... at least compared to every picture that's online or in a book, those pictures are taken with long exposures that our eyes just can't do.

And the LMC/SMC isn't viewable from the US ;)

In those colors, looks like a virus that's spreading on a petri dish. Time to nuke a few cities from orbit, restore the balance.

We want to be seen from the space so aliens can see us, you know.

Back