AMD Radeon R7 240GB SSD Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
Those crazy crustaceans over at MadShrimps have published a review of the AMD Radeon R7 240GB SSD today for those of you interested.

The R7 240 AMD-Branded SSD succeeds to perform really well and positions itself along with the latest Vertex 460 and Vector 150 drives from OCZ; the product succeeds to render very good write speeds and it comes in 7mm format, which makes it compatible with the latest ultrabooks. AMD has extended the warranty to 4 years and for added value we are also getting the Acronis proven drive cloning software for easy migration.

They really should try to come up with a better name, one that does't lead to confusion with their video cards. "Got the R7. Which one? 240GB. What?" :D

Question: Why would AMD would give one of their SSDs the same exact model number as one of their GPUs?

Answer: AMD

;)

Edit: Where are the Samsung drives in that review??

They do need a different naming scheme. Stick with the AMD branding, but calling it the same thing as your GPU's will just further confuse potential customers.

In this day and age its hard to believe the marketing department would do something so stupid.

I gather that is because they want to simplify the market with recognizable labels to indicate performance ie: R7 or R9. But I agree it is confusing when just seeing the number R7 240.

I gather that is because they want to simplify the market with recognizable labels to indicate performance ie: R7 or R9. But I agree it is confusing when just seeing the number R7 240.

Simplification implies better understanding. Do a search for "R7 240" and you'll find that nowhere among the items "above the fold" is an SSD. AMD marketing team needs to get punched for this one. Hard. :confused:

Damn, I knew AMD lost their performance crown years ago, but this? Am I really seeing an AMD product build by OZC? Are they trying to commit suicide? AMD truly has taken a shit!

Damn, I knew AMD lost their performance crown years ago, but this? Am I really seeing an AMD product build by OZC? Are they trying to commit suicide? AMD truly has taken a shit!

OCZ was bought out by Toshiba when they went bankrupt last year. The bad SSD's were from the period when the original company was dying, they're ok now.

Back