Watch Street Fighter V Live Gameplay Today

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Streetfighter V gameplay will be live today at 2:30, so just follow the links to the Capcom Cup to watch first hand. Street Fighter V doesn’t have a solid release date yet, but in will be on the PS4 and PC platforms exclusively.

Yeah in this case, it just means not on the Xbox One or the Wii U. I don't even know why but Capcom does not want to put this game on either of those two platforms *shrugs*. As it isn't on Xbox One which is a Windows Platform but it is on Windows itself. And Nintendo used to get all the Street Fighter games but not this go around either. It is rather odd how they are marketing this.

Saw it already. It's called Street Fighter IV.

Need to look again then particularly at this new vid. in full, plenty of new changes in.

Yeah in this case, it just means not on the Xbox One or the Wii U. I don't even know why but Capcom does not want to put this game on either of those two platforms...

Because money (from Sony), would be my guess at why. I can't see it lasting long either it's probably just a timed exclusive. Worst case, Super SF V comes to XB1/maybe Wii U. It'd be too much money thrown away not to.. plus, when has SF ever been/stayed a platform exclusive?

Though, now that I think about it... there may never be another "Super" Street Fighter version again, unless it's just the name for a DLC update or as a up to date DLC compilation release.

Capcom justified releasing Ssfiv separately instead of as DLC saying that they never designed SfIV with DLC in mind. Not exactly convincing me of the necessity still but they have been true to their word so far at least. No one who bought SSfIV had to buy the game again for new versions, which have been 3 more since (Arcade Edition, Ultra & Omega), it's all been obtainable as DLC, ditto with SFxTekken (on disc DLC bs issue aside).

The days of Super Turbo Hyper Alpha Championship Street Fighter edition jokes may have reached their end... it actually makes me a little sad.

Other thoughts:

- Multiple breakable walls is cool
- New animations are nice
- powered up/Lightning/elemental enhancement system? Not clear on that but looks intriguing
- Pasta hat!
- Charlie returns at last!
- No more focus attacks (or so it seems)? Good. Overly technically skilled play like that and parrying from sf3 ruins the core gameplay imo and is horrible for trying to expand the playerbase and retain newbies. Classic SF gameplay demands enough skill as it is
- Stages seem more lively and realistic than ever

Looking good so far, hopefully they can keep it up.

Hmm, on further reflection, it may never come to Xbox One after all.

The PS4/PC cross-compatible online play is a selling point and that's a big problem for Xbox One.

Could cross-compatible XB1/PC play be done too? Sure.

But PC can't very well be cross compatible with 2 online ecosystems (well, technically I suppose it could, but not likely).

So, could they make XB1 cross-compat. with PSN? Probably.

Likely to happen though? I highly doubt it, though maybe one day, for some game, far in the future.

So I guess XB1 had to be left in the dark if they wanted to enable cross platform play with PC, and if you can only go with 1 platform, may as well go with the one with more sales (though Sony money may have been a factor for all I know too).

Since I'm mainly a Steam gamer I'm personally psyched for the 1st rate PC support now don't get me wrong, but unless they got some Sony bucks I'm a little baffled at the choice. Fighting games on PC have come a long way recently but even accounting for rapid expansion I can't quite see it eclipsing the potential sales of a release on Xbox 1 any time soon, though I guess the XB1 new platform status/low install base evens that out a bit for now.

Hmm, on further, further reflection...

I suppose they could still release it on XB1 with XB1 only online eventually, it's not like that's a strange state of affairs in online console gaming. I'm sure they could still get plenty of sales from the XB1 install base, enough to pay for the port easily. It's not like anyone other than hardcore SF fans with XB1s would go buy a PS4 just for SF V over losing a feature arguably most people wouldn't even know or care about (though I'm sure most of the competitive community would as a larger playerbase will likely equal better competition).

And Nintendo used to get all the Street Fighter games but not this go around either. It is rather odd how they are marketing this.

Nintendo didn't get any version of SF IV. I'm not going to count that crappy 3DS one either. No Marvel vs. Capcom 3 either.

Not just Capcom though. Wii U was lucky enough to get Injustice but no new MK games. Odd since they are the same developer.

Nintendo didn't get any version of SF IV. I'm not going to count that crappy 3DS one either. No Marvel vs. Capcom 3 either.

Not just Capcom though. Wii U was lucky enough to get Injustice but no new MK games. Odd since they are the same developer.

I'd say the Ssfiv 3DS port itself was mostly decent it was just ruined by the cramped controls but more importantly Nintendo's inane decision since the GCN to keep making undersized dpads.

The GCN was ridiculously small, by far the worst. Then on the Wii remote, DS and 3DS they seemed to use the same new, slightly larger but still insufficient size dpad design. Finally though, it seems they saw the light with the Wii U and went back to making properly sized usable cross dpads on the Wii U tablet and pro controllers, but it may be too little too late since Nintendo consoles have been basically fighting game vacant (SSB aside) for 2 generations due to the crap dpads.. had to 3rd party on the 'cube to make CVS2 playable, which was great when you actually had a controller you could play it with.

Strange they missed this basic piece of design importance when they did such a good job with the pad on the SNES and even the N64 (never understood why it didn't get Stret Fighter, MK4, KI2 and Clayfighter controlled great).

But then, just when you think they get it together with Wii U, you see the new 3DS design about to come out and they haven't changed the damn pad a bit. *facepalm* I know it's contiguous hardware but it doesn't mean they couldn't have improved the existing components, I mean hell they added a whlle 'nother stick. No way around that design myopia unfortunately unless you rig up some external controller hack like that guy did for SSB for 3DS.

As bad as they've been though, on the other hand you have MS with their infamous 360 pad (heard the One pad is better, which, it would almost have to be, hard to geg worse, but maybe still not ideal?) and you have Sony who still hasn't learned that 4 buttons ≠ a dpad. Good enough for most things but it's crap for fighting games or anything that requires precised dpad control.

Honestly all the console makers have been making piss more dpads and controllers for fighting games since about the 16-bit generation, and there's just no excuse. Until SfIV came out they just didn't give a damn about fighting games since SF Ii. This is why it's a shame that Sega is not around since you could count on them to be a reliable haven of great fighting games and hardware for it (they had their too stumbles but on the whole they did by far the best job).

Nintendo didn't get... Marvel vs. Capcom 3 either.

Well they were a bit late to the party to get Marvel (for Wii U, a Wii port was basically always out of the question, though... they did get the more simple controlling Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, which took forever to come to the west), especially since you couldn't even find the updated Ultimate version in stores about 2 years later, license must have expired quick apparently (so dumb, more sales of the game would've been a win-win, even if the money was only going to Capcom it was a well rated title so the Marvel brand would still benefit).

They did get Tekken Tag 2 though, but unfortunately I'd be surprised if they got another. Honestly though, despite Nintendo often being too late on features and their own worst enemy, most 3rd parties are apparently run by monkeys when it comes to their Nintendo ports.

Nintendo finally gets it right on Wii U, or, good enough (the power is unfortunate but at least it's HD now, and hell they got Smash Bros. in 1080p 60fps), by which I mean the online, mostly. The online play is still free (a plus for sure), better/on par with 360/PS3 (or no reason it can't be), and they finally modernized their (albeit still somewhat clunky) online delivery mechanisms so they can deliver game patches and even DLC just fine.

Plus they did a good job finally with the pro controllers overall as well as their dpads for fighting games.

But so many 3rd parties have been too stupid to even acknowledge this apparently and moan about sales.

Take Arkham Origins, Mass Effect 3 and Black Ops Ii. Online mplay components removed and/or no further DLC. I buy things mostly on PC, but when I play on console, I would've taken the Wii U version over playing on PS3 or 360 (before the XB1/PS4 came out) due to the better GPU, but why the hell would I put down $60 for a game on a Nintendo platform, which I expect to very much enjoy, and then have to just buy it again elsewhere if I ever want to experience the full game via missing DLC I may want to buy?

Stupid right out the gate.

(Actually I just read Activision released a Black Ops 2 DLC map for Wii U in August... 2 years after it was available elsewhere.)

At least Injustice got DLC I hear but it still released later on Wii U than elsewhere.

Then on top of that, you have stuff like Tekken Tag 2, Mass Effect 3 and Arkham City releasing like a year later on Wii U for $60 when you can pick it up at the same time on 360 or PS3 for $20...

Yeah, I wanted to buy Tekken Tag 2 for Wii U but when I saw the price I just bought it for my 360 instead. Mass Effect 3 I'm gonna tun out and spend $40 more on for Wii U with no ability to get new DLC, right, just buy it twice on another system to waste even more time and money.

Also I see Watch Dogs is $40 (CDN) on PS3, $50 on PS4 and only $60 on Wii U 6 months+ late..

Fortunately for Wii U owners a lot of these stupidly planned ports drop to $20 when they inevitably tank but that's not exactly good for the platform.

So do games "not sell"/do worse on Nintendo platforms? Maybe, and Nintendo deserves a lot of blame for their letharrgy and backwardsness but honestly with Wii U the 3rd parties deserve a lot mor blame. It's li,e they do everything possible to ensure their ports fail, their Nintendo port decision makers should all be fired for being jncompetent or asleep at the switch.

If your Nintendo port is either much more expensive, much later than other releases, missing gameplay components like online (laziness), or missing the ability to acquire DLC (again laziness) or some combination of the above, of course it's going to sell pike dogshit. Who would buy such a port unless they only had a Wii U.

And let's not forget also releasing a port (Watch Dogs) that's late, more expensive AND graphically inferior (fails x3 vs PS4/XB/PC and fails x2 vs 360/PS3).. who would buy that?

Make way marketplace for the $60 Wii U Watch Dogs port! Get the same game available on 360 and PS3 but much later and for more money, or get the game available on PS4/XB1 in lower quality, later AND for more money! Can you hear the people stampeding to line up?

So who knows if these games will really sell so much worse on Nintendo platforms, I can't recall seeing much of any games so far given a fair shot (outside of maybe sports, though even then I'd guess they were hampered by no DLC).

Nintendo deserves a lot of blame but there's so much corporate stupidity going on at 3rd parties it should be criminal almost if they're publicly traded, they're pissing away a lot of lost sales due to stupidity and laziness.

3RD PARTIES:

YOU CANNOT RELEASE PORTS THAT ARE INFERIOR AND LATE FOR THE SAME OR MORE AMOUNTS OF MONEY AS OTHER VERSIONS AND EXPECT OUTCOMES OTHER THAN DISSAPOINTMENT.

ON ANY PLATFORM.

This is not rocket science, and I don't even have an MBA.

And if anyone wants to say well resources dictate late Nintendo ports due to lower sales making it a lower priority, well, okay, fine (aside from that reasoning inevitably being a self-fulfilling prophecy), but if you're going to show up 6 months to a year later to market don't expect Wii U owners to praise you and throw 60 bucks at your feet, it was your choice to drag your ass on your late port. You need to be charging the same or even less money than other versions available, especially if the port is late or inferior, let alone both. Charging MORE can only be seen as insane or desiring failure.

That went on longer than expected, sorry.

/End rant

Back