eBay Planning Massive Job Cuts Following PayPal Split

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Ever since PayPal began separating from eBay’s combined operations, business analysts predicted the axe would fall, and fall hard to trim expenses. Reports have eBay looking at cutting almost 10% of its entire workforce or a grand total of about 3K jobs sometime in 1Q2015. Merry Christmas from eBay. :eek:

The purge would be the most significant round of layoffs for eBay since 2008, when it shed some 1,600 jobs.

Layoffs are good. They cut out the dead wood and keep everyone else motivated. I have worked at companies where people stay in the same position for life so that the company rarely hires new, young employees to bring in new ideas and stagnation sets in.

Companies are trending more and more toward specialization so that individuals become bored with the gradual loss of their responsibilities. Getting rid of the dead wood and asking people to do more is sometimes reinvigorating.

You know what's funny? Typically when 2 companies merge they cut the redundant workforce and you see layoffs. So what's the explanations when 2 companies are separating? If your company has dead weight, its a management problem because those managers were not cutting the weight as things came up and keeping their employees at a reasonable level for the workload.

When I think of eBay and PayPal, I think of an office of people with their legs up on the desk, watching their automated software go through the rounds, and waiting for another big paycheck.

Layoffs are good. They cut out the dead wood and keep everyone else motivated. I have worked at companies where people stay in the same position for life so that the company rarely hires new, young employees to bring in new ideas and stagnation sets in.

Companies are trending more and more toward specialization so that individuals become bored with the gradual loss of their responsibilities. Getting rid of the dead wood and asking people to do more is sometimes reinvigorating.
The exact opposite of this is true. Layoffs are demoralizing and don't usually result in the company turning around and becoming profitable long-term.

The exact opposite of this is true. Layoffs are demoralizing and don't usually result in the company turning around and becoming profitable long-term.

He must be young. Looks like a case of too much koolaid.

Ebay shed customers when they jacked their fees up to stupid levels. Sure Ebay gets your item out across NA and even the globe but craigslist is free and local and can be less hassle, especially large bulky items.

Ebay shed customers when they jacked their fees up to stupid levels. Sure Ebay gets your item out across NA and even the globe but craigslist is free and local and can be less hassle, especially large bulky items.

Sure, and let's not forget all those sketchy scumbags that contact sellers on Craigslist. Awesome!

F'em, who needs a job!

b-w_living-1937-bread-lind-during-louisville-flood.jpg

Is everyone over 40 or 50 just supposed to move into a cardboard box on the street? In your world everyone who has reached middle age would lose their jobs in favor of younger employees.

Ebay does take a decent amount. But I did just get a $5 coupon from them, which is probably 1/5 of what they have taken from me in the last 6 months. So I'm not too upset.

Between that coupon and China selling stuff dirt cheap, I was able to get 5 Apple Lightning cables (2amp capable) for $3 shipped total.

I'm satisfied :D

I have been using EBAY for over 5 years and ever since PAYPAL changed the TOS to allow someone 180 days to return a Item I have decided to no longer sell anything over $50 on Ebay. I cant take a Big Hit from a scammer.

Maybe if they're smart they'll lower the fees and make up on volume. Good thing for Craigslist.

Very true.
And worse off when re-staffing good talent. Once the company name hits the dumper... credibility is gone when attempting to make those long-term promises to prospect employees.

Practical example is to simply point at any of the big companies and ask... "would you work there given recent treatment of employees?"

Quick answer... is "NOT". Or, at least without serious reservations (desperation).

And, as you pointed out, general moral hits the curb with productivity going out-the-door. Anybody ready/able to leave that quarter is gone or at least beginning the search. Everybody holds back and waits once the layoffs are known. A few folks try to bust-ass and "prove" themselves. But, in the end it really all ends up on profitability, politics, and turf.

Just the slightest 'whiff' (or stink) of bad management these days and the recruiters start circling like hungry sharks... blood's been spilled and it's 'game-over'.

Back