Xbox One Beats PS4 In US And UK In November

HardOCP News

[H] News
This kind of makes you wonder what would have happened if Microsoft launched at its current price point. Maybe they wouldn't be playing catch up like they are.

Microsoft's Mike Nichols, corporate VP of Xbox marketing, wrote in a statement: "We are committed to making Xbox the best place to play, with this year’s best games, the best community of gamers to play with, and terrific value. And we are amazed by the excitement Xbox fans have shown to start off this holiday. November set a new record for sales of Xbox One, and Xbox One was the best-selling console in the US and UK."

Good for MS. It was overpriced. I finally bought one when they dropped it recently. I like the 360 interface better though.

PS4 still managed to outsell the Xbox One globally for the month of November.

And as for total sales, MS still has a lot of catching up to do..

6l7GKk9.png

6l7GKk9.png

wtf bargraph?

so each bar is not to scale to eachother and percentages do not add up. So it is just arbitrary numbers put into excel?

6l7GKk9.png

So the combined total is > 100%?! :confused:

wtf bargraph?

so each bar is not to scale to eachother and percentages do not add up. So it is just arbitrary numbers put into excel?

Split the type.

three on the left, two on the right. Their numbers add up to 100% that way and the scale is correct respective to the class the device is in.

There really should be a split in the chart between the PS4 bar and the 3DS bar.

Parents don't have a lot of money and they are not as tech savvy. So at Christmas when parents were buying consoles, they went with the cheaper value console. Not surprising.

Still happily using ps3...

thinking about getting a Xbox mainly because it supports if remote control for netflix/amazon/blurry usage...

Though I suppose when 4k blurry players come out they will support streaming too...

so soon still waiting... no worries can always game better on my pic in the meantime. Lol

I think it would have gone neck and neck with the PS4 from the beginning if it had been priced like this...

But with the drop in price this holiday season from MS and not Sony, it's pretty clear who needs the sales more.

last gen was 360 in the lead for awhile till the PS3 caught up toward the end. This time around it is PS4 in the lead for awhile till the One catches up. In the end both platforms are doing well and are worth the buy for their respective users.

Last gen Wii kicked everyone's ass and that meant nothing. So that shows how much sales numbers mean

I think it would have gone neck and neck with the PS4 from the beginning if it had been priced like this...

But with the drop in price this holiday season from MS and not Sony, it's pretty clear who needs the sales more.

I personally never thought it would be neck in neck. At least not for awhile. That said if not for all the Sony hacks I would have actually been one of those to buy both in time. However there is no way at the time that I could support Sony and add my data to a system that I know is open to giving away all data on a regular basis .

I personally never thought it would be neck in neck. At least not for awhile. That said if not for all the Sony hacks I would have actually been one of those to buy both in time. However there is no way at the time that I could support Sony and add my data to a system that I know is open to giving away all data on a regular basis .

Interesting. Well just about every company you have bought from online has been hacked, and at one point data has been breached.

Sony has had issues I agree, but for something like the PS4... I am sure 99.999% of PS4 buyers could care less.

So the combined total is > 100%?! :confused:
Yeah, that chart doesn't really make sense. The success of the platform is determined more by the game sales, not the hardware sales. And despite more console sales, software sales have actually fallen 11% compared to last November which is not good.

nv13.jpg

As this shows, the hardware itself accounts for a minor total of the grand expenditure of a gamer: http://i.imgur.com/pyrEW0Q.jpg

Nintendo has crap marketshare for example, but they did manage to sell 710,000 copies of Super Smash Bros since Nov 21s for the craptastic Wii U. That's a lot of mula!

Microsoft's quarterly report next month is certainly going to be interesting, along with the performance of PC sales this holiday. Microsoft is waging an all out price war with just about everything in their consumer portfolio. The results will be interesting indeed.

Parents don't have a lot of money and they are not as tech savvy. So at Christmas when parents were buying consoles, they went with the cheaper value console. Not surprising.

Exactly what I've been going through. My cousin wants to buy a PS4 for this coworker's 11 year old son and he asked me where's the cheapest PS4 to get. Except that the kid wants the white Destiny PS4 and he's trying to get that bundle cheaper than $400. Went to stores and nearly all the PS4's are sold out, except for the Destiny PS4, which costs more. I did suggest to buy a Xbox One cause what's a 11 year old kid going to know? Besides it's cheaper. :D Also they are in stock. :rolleyes:

If the Xbox sold better than the PS4 it's because the PS4 is sold out. They're going for a premium right now.

Exactly what I've been going through. My cousin wants to buy a PS4 for this coworker's 11 year old son and he asked me where's the cheapest PS4 to get. Except that the kid wants the white Destiny PS4 and he's trying to get that bundle cheaper than $400. Went to stores and nearly all the PS4's are sold out, except for the Destiny PS4, which costs more. I did suggest to buy a Xbox One cause what's a 11 year old kid going to know? Besides it's cheaper. :D Also they are in stock. :rolleyes:

If the Xbox sold better than the PS4 it's because the PS4 is sold out. They're going for a premium right now.

Says the person who goes to his local Walmart and Target, sees no PS4's and declares them as SOLD OUT world wide. :rolleyes: More than likely, Microsoft just has a better distribution system but who knows, definitely not you.

That Neogaf thread only points to an article by IGN, using sales numbers provided by NPD. NPD numbers are US-only. Xbox sales were probably higher in the US and UK, but not worldwide..

Perhaps, but if these price cuts and bundles are being offered worldwide then almost certainly the XBox is seeing more sales worldwide. Though I'm sure it hardly matters in some markets like Japan.

They're giving away Xbone bundles (with up to seven games) here for less than what the 8gig WiiU launched for, and that was without a game. It would be weird if it didn't beat the PS4 in sales during November in more than those two countries.

I'd have gone for it if there wasn't 8+ confirmed first half 2015 games on my PS4 shopping-list, whereas I only purchased three "full-scale" retail titles in 2014 for it.

Says the person who goes to his local Walmart and Target, sees no PS4's and declares them as SOLD OUT world wide. :rolleyes: More than likely, Microsoft just has a better distribution system but who knows, definitely not you.
I'm not declaring them sold out, just hard to get for $400, and it's obviously just from my perspective.

last gen was 360 in the lead for awhile till the PS3 caught up toward the end. This time around it is PS4 in the lead for awhile till the One catches up. In the end both platforms are doing well and are worth the buy for their respective users.

Last gen Wii kicked everyone's ass and that meant nothing. So that shows how much sales numbers mean

the big difference is ms had the territory they were traditionally strong in from the beginning so that allowed them to hold the lead for a while.Sony is probably still quite a bit stronger in a couple territories worldwide,and overall. If sony had fully capitalised on microsoft launch mess, like matching price with MS, and getting some better exclusives for the year, they coiuld have kept their momentum going. But with so many divisions in trouble at sony, sony may not be as aggresive as they shoudl have been

Perhaps, but if these price cuts and bundles are being offered worldwide then almost certainly the XBox is seeing more sales worldwide.

Definitely.. though I'm not sure if their price cuts and bundles were done globally, or just for whichever countries have a similar holiday shopping season like the US. Pretty sure their commercial stated that the price reduction was for a limited time only.

According to the napkin math in this article, MS actually lost $60M+ during this promotion (not including any additional losses for bunduru games). Not really sure if their numbers are correct, but if so, such losses would probably be difficult for them to sustain while trying to bridge the 9M to 16M install base gap with the PS4..

http://psgamer.co.uk/ps4/4294/the-xbox-one-beat-the-ps4-in-november-but-at-what-cost-we-do-the-math/

(..and yes, I'm aware that a site called PSGamer likely has a bias :p)

The X1 is never going to catch up to the PS4 globally. Last gen the PS3 launched a year afterwards and cost something like 200 dollars more. The PS3 sat in a very distant 3rd place until they dropped the price and basically re-launched the system with the PS3 Slim, new font, and Uncharted 2.

The Xbox brand was very strong in the US, UK, Canada, and Australia.
The PlayStation brand was very strong basically everywhere else.

It took Sony years of global sales to make up the huge difference that the US, UK, Canada and Australia had with 360. Fast forward to PS4 and Xbox One, the Xbox One is not winning in any territory and is hundreds of thousands of units behind in their strongest markets.

Sony still has all of the other territories on a lock down in some cases selling 15:1.

Basically what happened this generation was not a role reversal which many folks bring up. A role reversal would mean Sony traded the Xbox 360 Pros/Cons with the PS4. That actually did not happen, they took the Pros of both consoles last gen.

Microsoft did not net any positives from the previous generation, similar to the Wii U in fact. Obviously I am only talking about market share and total sales, Microsoft is winning in the features category, online, and "atm" exclusives.

Definitely.. though I'm not sure if their price cuts and bundles were done globally, or just for whichever countries have a similar holiday shopping season like the US. Pretty sure their commercial stated that the price reduction was for a limited time only.

According to the napkin math in this article, MS actually lost $60M+ during this promotion (not including any additional losses for bunduru games). Not really sure if their numbers are correct, but if so, such losses would probably be difficult for them to sustain while trying to bridge the 9M to 16M install base gap with the PS4..

http://psgamer.co.uk/ps4/4294/the-xbox-one-beat-the-ps4-in-november-but-at-what-cost-we-do-the-math/

(..and yes, I'm aware that a site called PSGamer likely has a bias :p)

Although the link you provided is interesting, the way in which they did the numbers and the language they used is un researched at best. The cost of the unit, "around $400", which was not even proven was also from one year ago. Most likely, the cost per unit has gone down since then. (No proof of that however.)

Also, since when is $63 million a "massive hit " for Microsoft who is swimming in cash? The way that article reads, it is also clear that Sony has been selling their units at a lose from day one. How are they taking such a "massive hit "? I am not arguing with you, just questioning the articles premise and year old math.

This is good news for Microsoft no matter how a site might try to spin it. :D

Back