GTA 5's Misogyny Must Be Addressed By Its Creators

HardOCP News

[H] News
Once again, the only reason I am linking an article like this is so that you guys can have your say about it.

What I personally find repulsive about this game is the pleasure it offers in portraying the savaging of a class of people who are already victims, in real life. This is where GTA 5 shows a lack of judgment. I take issue with the portrayal of sex workers being abused and murdered, because sex workers are already victims, and it's just not right to take your fun in abusing victims.

I had a hunch that the author was male before I even clicked on the link.

GTA 5 players abuse and murder all NPCs equally

This. No one is safe when I'm playing GTA5, haha. And I hate to break it to the author, but...........It's just a game.........Don't like it? Don't play it.

*tips fedora* My thoughts on this BS was already expressed in the locked thread in General Gaming.

Cliffs Notes: The squeeky wheel gets the grease, we saw this with GTA5 getting pulled from store shelves and Tekken 7 characters being removed for the North American market just recently and so forth. Simply ignoring them would be nice, but I fear the industry will then simply consider these lefties the consensus and keep caving until you can't escape political-correctness even in fantasy games.

*tips fedora* My thoughts on this BS was already expressed in the locked thread in General Gaming.

Cliffs Notes: The squeeky wheel gets the grease, we saw this with GTA5 getting pulled from store shelves and Tekken 7 characters being removed for the North American market just recently and so forth. Simply ignoring them would be nice, but I fear the industry will then simply consider these lefties the consensus and keep caving until you can't escape political-correctness even in fantasy games.

I don't think it has anything to do with party politics and it's almost absurd to try to drag that into the discussion. People, regardless of political leanings, get emotional and upset about things, then yell at each other over how they feel until they get their way and video games have pretty much not anything to do with the grumpy old man random cane shaking at some dumb political leaning as a root cause for a discussion.

ok, so a bunch of thugs make a game and it includes offensive material. That's their choice if they want. It's not my kind of game, so I don't play it. If people don't like it, then they don't have to play it. End of story.

Ohh polygon, never stop being a SJW cesspool of worthlessness.

Not even one extra click should be given to those click baiters.

If only people realizes that video games has got nothing to do with real life. In fact, many video games have gone out of the way to remind it's audience that the game does not depict the real world. Don't people ever read those messages that appears on screen before the game starts.

That's where all SJW discussions should have ended.

I take issue with the vast majority of violence in games being against men. Video games are anti-male sexist propaganda! Down with games!

Don't like it, don't buy it.

Want something different? Make it yourself.

Disclaimer: I've never owned, nor played any of the GTA games. Not really my thing. Don't agree with them for the most part. I "vote" with my money -- I buy other games. Hey, imagine that... choice!

I went into this article thinking that all NPCs in the game are killed equally and that this is just another thing for people to bitch about.

However, after reading the article I am still mostly in that mind set except for one excellent point that was made...

There are no children in the GTA games and if there were, and you could kill them: would that be okay?

My guess is no, and that highlights something about killing all NPCs. Some are different than others and I think that in time public opinion may change it's view of this kind of thing.

I still think it's okay but maybe it won't be some day.

So who was the eunuch who wrote that trash and can we petition to get it kicked off the internet?

I never understood why they don't include children and male prostitutes like the author of the article questioned this censorship. Many kids are kidnapped and turned into prostitutes before they can go to kindergarten. Should be able to at least run their ass over too. And adding in male prostitutes would make the game into a hit in Russia as they have an all out war on the LGBT community there. It's completely fine to torture a LGBT person in Russia and the church / government encourages it. So why is this not in the game?

They should bring more of the taboo things that exist in real life to the game. The game needs mobs rioting and burning citizens alive. Why can't you poison the water supply for the city? I know someone that pissed in the water tower of a rival neighboring town. Lots more can be added to the game to add to the immersion factor.

There's a Skyrim mod called "Killable Children." Is that okay? (Non-trolly answer: Of course it is; they are just pixels on a screen.)

I'm completely fine with the existence of this.. However if the game came with that mod pre-built in. I'm sure there would be issues in the media. The fact that it's a mod add-on that isn't paid for makes it okay for the public.. I think.

Once again, I was just saying that it was a good point that some things, even if they aren't real, are generally considered not okay. When that will apply to killing prostitutes? I don't know.

I can think of Microsoft removing the trade towers from flight simulator or Spiderman removing the scene with the twin towers from the first movie after 9/11 as an example of this.

I still don't really understand the taboo behind not killing kids. Hell, even the walking dead has killed kids on numerous occasions.

I'd be fine with it.

I want a game that lets me prostitute animals while killing children. Its not like I'd do it in real life, but I want to experience the digital version. Murdering hookers isn't enough of a thrill now.

I still don't really understand the taboo behind not killing kids. Hell, even the walking dead has killed kids on numerous occasions.

I'd be fine with it.

The weird thing is, the issue regarding killing kids only seem to apply when it's the player killing kids.

There are no children in the GTA games and if there were, and you could kill them: would that be okay?
It would be as OK as stabbing homeless people in the face, using a rocket launcher on a cop just chilling, beating random strangers to death on the sidewalk, dealing hard drugs, crashing a helicopter into a building on purpose, etc.

There are no people in GTA5 period. What you mean is that there are no depictions of children, as either way there would be no children harmed in the video game. Just flashing pixels on a monitor.

It would be as OK as stabbing homeless people in the face, using a rocket launcher on a cop just chilling, beating random strangers to death on the sidewalk, dealing hard drugs, crashing a helicopter into a building on purpose, etc.

There are no people in GTA5 period. What you mean is that there are no depictions of children, as either way there would be no children harmed in the video game. Just flashing pixels on a monitor.

Exactly! So we should be able to cook them and serve them for virtual dinner if we like. I'm still waiting for a real video game that breaks down social taboos properly.

I find the stereotyping of men in magazines like Cosmo and the articles trying to teach women how to control and manipulate men in real life far more offensive. Sorry but the actions of someone against pixels doesn't even register. It's the same inane argument that tries to say video games are murder trainers.

I love the "-Must- Be Addressed By Its Creators"... Why? How can you demand a company do anything else than what they're doing, as long as they're not breaking any laws? What do they owe you? Especially if you don't buy their products anyway.

You have to change the mind of the demographic they're selling to, not bash the company. Revenue is revenue.

Exactly! So we should be able to cook them and serve them for virtual dinner if we like. I'm still waiting for a real video game that breaks down social taboos properly.
As long as the game is properly labeled so grandma isn't buying it for her 13 year old grandson, we absolutely should have the option! :) If I'm 18+, I shouldn't have to be nannied. After all, we have no such restrictions on cinema (the gore in some horror movies is pretty intense), which is far more photorealistic than a video game.

For example, even a mainstream adult show like Game of Thrones, remember the face crushing head explosion? Why can't I curb-stomp people with similar detail in GTA5? I think a lot of people have this double-standard thinking that video games are inherently for children.

Just to be clear, I'm not offended by any of these things and I do think that it is okay to have them in games. I was merely playing devils advocate and stated what the general populous may think.

P.S. There is no reason to nit pick so much about terminology. We all know it's just a game of pixels and that there are no real children.

We all know it's just a game of pixels and that there are no real children.
I know, and was just speaking generically, as a reminder that we're just talking about pixels on a screen. There's no child on camera that is having to act out something gruesome for example, so while its pretend, a kid is involved. That means that we are strictly talking about thought policing.

And the thought-crime advocates simply aren't wiling to fess up to that reality.

I find the stereotyping of men in magazines like Cosmo and the articles trying to teach women how to control and manipulate men in real life far more offensive. Sorry but the actions of someone against pixels doesn't even register. It's the same inane argument that tries to say video games are murder trainers.

Yup and magazine articles are really no substitute for real life manipulation anyhow. Besides that, if you need an article to help you figure it out, you're a dim sorta bulb since it's pretty simple. (Also, have you actually read those kinds of articles? Most of them aren't at all about manipulation and more about understanding men and getting along better with them rather than being nefarious and forcing them to do what you want. I can't imagine that someone who's reads them regularly would ever get the idea that the point is to make men into an enslaved lesser half...not that I'm saying it wouldn't be a good thing, but just that it isn't what many of those kinds pieces are about.)

I don't think it has anything to do with party politics and it's almost absurd to try to drag that into the discussion. People, regardless of political leanings, get emotional and upset about things, then yell at each other over how they feel until they get their way and video games have pretty much not anything to do with the grumpy old man random cane shaking at some dumb political leaning as a root cause for a discussion.
I hate to quote a CUG post... But I have to completely agree with him on this point for once. Both sides of the current consumer revolt are extremely inclusive of people regardless of their ideologies or political leanings. It will certainly make for an interesting topic of sociological study in the future should the history not be skewed or biased in any way.

I take issue with the vast majority of violence in games being against men. Video games are anti-male sexist propaganda! Down with games!
Besides the comment obviously trolling, I agree that game content today could be considered a lot more misandristic than misogynystic. But you don't see men getting together and bitching on the internet about their feelings being hurt because of it. It certainly doesn't bother me.

My opinion of GTA as a series is it being the ultimate equalizer. Every NPC in the game, whether it be a major player in the story or not, has an equal opportunity at being the target of violence from the player. It portrays how people and social circles act in real life in a cartoonish manner. In my opinion R* and GTA should be celebrated for not singling out anyone based on their gender, race or sexual orientation. It is the beacon to which all developers should aspire to in their portrayal of human beings and the human condition.

Back