New PhysX FleX Features

hummm... if is accurate enough in fluid simulation, i can skip paying the solidwork fluid simulation or national instrumental version too!

AMD and Nvidia are businesses. They're not doing what they do for the good of humanity, so you can really stop pretending one is better than the other. Pick the one you like and move on.

hummm... if is accurate enough in fluid simulation, i can skip paying the solidwork fluid simulation or national instrumental version too!

I'm curious how accurate it is. The digital drag simulation with the car is interesting.

AMD and Nvidia are businesses. They're not doing what they do for the good of humanity, so you can really stop pretending one is better than the other. Pick the one you like and move on.

Two different business models though.

AMD has adopted a more open approach to technology. Competitor's can use their tech if they (I assume) pay a royalty. This is to spur wider adoption of their tech.

Nvidia is more proprietary based. You usually have to have their equipment to run their stuff. Developers lock themselves into an ecosystem for "advanced" graphics.

Proprietary based models seem to be slowly declining as more companies adopt open standards.

True, and I agree somewhat. If I remember correctly though, Nvidia offered PhysX on a royalty type basis to AMD at one point too, the way AMD just did with Mantle. (with a similar result) I don't remember all of the details, but I think that was mentioned shortly after NV bought PhysX. Open standards are great, and I do applaud anyone pushing them forward over proprietary.

That said, Nvidia's features, drivers, etc. have largely appealed more to me than AMD's in the past, so that's typically what I have in my system. Every once in a while (I'd say every two to three product cycles) AMD does something that makes me give them another shot. I usually like the experience overall, but then one thing or another makes me go back. Typically drivers, compatibility, etc. And even PhysX to a degree. I really like the visual additions in things like Borderlands.

I really wouldn't push one over the other, but will happily chime in with why one works for me over the other. Right now, with my 970, I've got the drivers, features, compatibility that I like from NV, and less power usage than an equivalent AMD part. No reason to switch. I could easily see AMD tempting me back any time in the near future as well.

My post was a little more stringent than I meant it to be. I just thought the "oh wait" comment was a bit silly, when if I'm not mistaken PhysX could have been possible on AMD at one point, but was refused. (even if it was in favor of an open standard)

You're in a thread about a video card company so you're obviously not allowed to be anything but a rabid, slobbering, angry-faced brand loyalist. If you're going to insist on being all sensible and stuff about it, you can just show yourself to the thread's door and throw yourself out. Don't come back until you're have a company logo tattooed on your butt and you're ready to wave around torches and pitchforks at those dirty heathens who worship the other company!

Oh cool, more stuff I've seen running with software accelerated particle and physics engines in without framerdrops.

Looks like the Fruit Loops won't get soggy in the nVidia universe!

OK, so what's keeping us from modeling an entire FPS map like this? Do we need like 100x the processing power or 1,000,000x?

You're in a thread about a video card company so you're obviously not allowed to be anything but a rabid, slobbering, angry-faced brand loyalist. If you're going to insist on being all sensible and stuff about it, you can just show yourself to the thread's door and throw yourself out. Don't come back until you're have a company logo tattooed on your butt and you're ready to wave around torches and pitchforks at those dirty heathens who worship the other company!

Fine... **kicks at ground, walks out slowly**

Real time simulations that need to only look accurate are not going to be able to touch non-real time scientific simulators.

Everything moving looks so "rubbery"

There's big improvements with fluid dynamics, especially with the blue/green inversion demo... but other examples, not so much. The test immediately before it with pouring liquids onto the Rabbit (and earlier with the cereal bowl going no gravity) looked too flat and melted rubber like regardless of the viscosity.

True, and I agree somewhat. If I remember correctly though, Nvidia offered PhysX on a royalty type basis to AMD at one point too, the way AMD just did with Mantle. (with a similar result) I don't remember all of the details, but I think that was mentioned shortly after NV bought PhysX. Open standards are great, and I do applaud anyone pushing them forward over proprietary.

That said, Nvidia's features, drivers, etc. have largely appealed more to me than AMD's in the past, so that's typically what I have in my system. Every once in a while (I'd say every two to three product cycles) AMD does something that makes me give them another shot. I usually like the experience overall, but then one thing or another makes me go back. Typically drivers, compatibility, etc. And even PhysX to a degree. I really like the visual additions in things like Borderlands.

I really wouldn't push one over the other, but will happily chime in with why one works for me over the other. Right now, with my 970, I've got the drivers, features, compatibility that I like from NV, and less power usage than an equivalent AMD part. No reason to switch. I could easily see AMD tempting me back any time in the near future as well.

My post was a little more stringent than I meant it to be. I just thought the "oh wait" comment was a bit silly, when if I'm not mistaken PhysX could have been possible on AMD at one point, but was refused. (even if it was in favor of an open standard)
This, completely. They're both businesses and for profit companies, pushing one over the other as angelic and holy is just absurd, period. Amd was offered physx at one point, and just as with mantle being offered to Nvidia, it was rejected flatly because it would be a ridiculous business move to support a competitor's features that you have no control over and can be changed around by them, optimized for their hardware and not yours etc at any time as much as they want.

Mantle is about to be outmoded by dx12 before it ever really was used in any number of games (there are what, half a dozen remotely major titles with it? A year later. ) while dx12 will launch with more than that day 1 and have the whole industry backing it, in shorter order than even dx11 and dx9 since it's an easy development transition and offers major benefits.

While physx hasn't been used widely, it has been used to great benefit and visual effect in a few major series of games every single installment, and a good number of various major one off games. And with physx flex being supported natively for acceleration and use in Unreal Engine 4 and Unity 5, that's only going to explode in the future in terms of number of titles supporting it. It brings a real, tangible, additional value to the table instead of trying to replace an industry standard with minimal benefit on gaming systems and only working on a minority of video cards.

This, completely. They're both businesses and for profit companies, pushing one over the other as angelic and holy is just absurd, period. Amd was offered physx at one point, and just as with mantle being offered to Nvidia, it was rejected flatly because it would be a ridiculous business move to support a competitor's features that you have no control over and can be changed around by them, optimized for their hardware and not yours etc at any time as much as they want.

Mantle is about to be outmoded by dx12 before it ever really was used in any number of games (there are what, half a dozen remotely major titles with it? A year later. ) while dx12 will launch with more than that day 1 and have the whole industry backing it, in shorter order than even dx11 and dx9 since it's an easy development transition and offers major benefits.

While physx hasn't been used widely, it has been used to great benefit and visual effect in a few major series of games every single installment, and a good number of various major one off games. And with physx flex being supported natively for acceleration and use in Unreal Engine 4 and Unity 5, that's only going to explode in the future in terms of number of titles supporting it. It brings a real, tangible, additional value to the table instead of trying to replace an industry standard with minimal benefit on gaming systems and only working on a minority of video cards.

Whoops, forgot to add that I too have tried amd a good number of times but dropped it after discovering big enough problems every time for video cards, so I tend towards nvidia as a first pick when buying personally. But for some people's needs one will be better than the other, situationally. However it's ridiculous to claim that either company is interested in advancing anything that won't help them gain your money somehow, directly or indirectly ;). That's the whole reason they exist!

If the two companies had more than one brain cell between them, they'd develop a common standard. Because if they're in business to make money instead of wave their genitals around, history has already proven proprietary GPU features are doomed to niche use, while open standards are not. No game/etc developer in their right mind wants to choose between coding for multiple standards or eliminating half of their potential sales. So this supercomputing potential goes moreless entirely ignored and unused.

Yeah, call me when we're past "visual effects" and achieving "affects gameplay".

If the two companies had more than one brain cell between them, they'd develop a common standard.

For as long as nVidia exists and the people running it remain the same, that will never happen.

Great, now I can pour milk on a rabbit. Another innovation from these flat chested Cossacks. I'd rather throw my wife down a flight of stairs than buy into this commie bullshit.

Since DX12 won't be used on Windows 7, Mantle won't be outmoded (heck, DX12 and OpenGL NG are heavily based on Mantle, so it is important).

Also AMD isn't asking for royalties from Intel/Nvidia, but yeah the SDK isn't fully ready for them to make their own mantle drivers, so the comparison with PhysX (paid royalty, and Nvidia was the one that had to do the implementation = they would get to know the full layout of AMD's chips logic) is entirely baseless.

Since DX12 won't be used on Windows 7, Mantle won't be outmoded (heck, DX12 and OpenGL NG are heavily based on Mantle, so it is important).

Also AMD isn't asking for royalties from Intel/Nvidia, but yeah the SDK isn't fully ready for them to make their own mantle drivers, so the comparison with PhysX (paid royalty, and Nvidia was the one that had to do the implementation = they would get to know the full layout of AMD's chips logic) is entirely baseless.

Wow, that urban myth is still circulating? DX12 was in development prior to mantle, and is a regularly recurring release. It already had been worked on with partners including amd, nvidia, Intel, and Microsoft to include draw call optimizations, amd simply did a poorly adopted pr stunt on the side as well to steal some marketing thunder. And Windows 7 is losing users rapidly as it approaches being completely outdated by the time dx12 launches after Windows 10 hits. It will soon be irrelevant to current users as much as xp is as it ages. Mantle has yet to be used in any number of games, in fact around half a dozen titles of any significance if that and works on under a third of video cards , while dx12 will work with all card vendors and have far more market penetration immediately plus titles continually coming out. Major game engines such as unreal engine 4 and unity 5 have support baked in per plans pre-launch, so it'll hit with stronger support than dx11 even which picked up traction pretty quickly.

Windows 7 is losing users?... now you have jumped the mosasaur, because GT you jumped the shark long ago.

Mantle has been used on more games out currently than DX12 :D actually, since there is no DX12 the advantage is +infinity on Mantle's side! :p

It started off like milk, but it looked like something else a moment later. Don't let Japan see this stuff. They might get ideas.

:D My mind was likely in the gutter yesterday when I saw that, because I thought something similar, and in my mind just said... "poor rabbit" (unless the rabbit is into that sort of thing...)

What else do you think happens when MS dictates specific OS versions on new PC hardware? All they have to do is wait to get 90+% of the world on any version of Windows they wish.

For the end user market maybe, but businesses don't roll that way.

Back